Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
West Indian cricket : who took 'the wick' out of our 'first class' cricket wicket global crown?

Fellow forum post authors - please excuse my impertinence, but I have a confession to make, with regard to my below basics cricket knowledge, which is currently still below par, solely due to what now seems to be a lack of global interest in what was once described, by many folks, years ago, as West Indies cricket at its utmost best, its utmost elegance or its utmost excellence.

In my early teenage years, I recall my family excitement as we gathered around the television to watch the team playing at the Oval, London. The gasps of the perfect catches captured by the numerous televised replays, the perpetual centuries....the lovely Caribbean accent, as the Captain spoke to the Sports reporter about their sometimes 'near perfect' play and scoring records. So, I ask the question - what has happened to West Indian cricket?

Is there a cricket school in the Caribbean? And, why has the West Indies cricketing skills, once the envy of the world, taken a 'tumble' or 'why and how did our first class cricketing team lost their innings? And, who took 'the wick' out of the West Indian cricketing wickets? The cricketers themselves, the media, ......(dare I say it, could it have been Mother.... after her generous knighthoods towards her step siblings!)