Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Down the journey line: how 'bad' a migrating move is a 'bad' migrating move?

Based on listening or hearing the news coverage with regard to the feelings of injustice with regards to happenings, sometimes horrendous occurences to our fellow black brothers and sisters in some key parts of the world. In a feeling of solidarity, I always thinks of the decision taken by adults to depart from the shores of their birth, based on naively taken up 'invitations' of work by colonial subjects, who I feel at times were dismissive of past historical events of the 'migrating to' countries, at times showing complete 'personal dissassociation' with the horrendous events - now why would a person want to go and make a new life in country where folks were subjected to or even ostracised from social activities due to skin colour or other forms of injustices. I feel that the acceptance to depart from one's place of birth is subjected to great psychological complexities, let play the record once again, educational opportunities (nothing wrong with that); financial gain to purchase a house; employment opportunities; opportunity to live and raise family in a new environment - fair enough.

we are all aware, that laws had to be passed, for some of these opportunities to take place - so we have a stigma associated with the hiring of say for jobs - we do not really want you here, but we have to stick to the lawful quota - that is enough to lower confidence? But, I have heard the feedback from some families ' boy or girl, just keep your head low and get your piece of paper' 'just take the job and get your money - (so, any job is better than no job - just as any form of education is better than no education) - is such statements the personal advancement of venturing or migrating to new shores for the planned opportunities?

A lot of folks have return back to the Caribbean shores of their birth, some permanently after years of blood, sweat and toils, exposure to at times hostile or subtle social abuse , robust personal savings in the banks or the selling of a property, some of which was purchased courtesy of the 'sou sou' banking system - of which maybe three generations down the UK line siblings have benefited and move up the 'status' ladder. Some folks keeps returning due to some possible 'addiction' for this migrating society move from the shores of their birth.

So, personally down the journey migrating line, how 'bad' a move is a 'bad' migrating move?