Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
religion slave agents : inclusive or dismissive of a once small 'cohesive' community?

As a child growing up in the Caribbean, in terms of religious practices, most of the folks belonged to the main colonial masters worshipping community, other faiths were not known to me as a child, but Gran spoke of some folks belonging to a different faith – there was never any critical emphasis on folks practising their selected faith within our household – my aunt had different faith to her sister , that is my grandmother, and I never saw any hostility or bitterness shown towards them. As a community, all folks attended social functions, such as weddings, funeral – no questions asked about their religious faith – that was the communal norm. So, down the religious line, why has that automatic right as a member of a once 'cohesive' community to attend functions, is now dismissive based on being a different faith or faiths?

What baffles me as a human being, is the candid fact that despite the bulk of the Caribbean ancestry of folks brutal endurance of the slavery rituals of hardship labour etc, for example, my grandparents and my great grandmother (who I remember), would have been colonial slaves. They would have witness the emancipation as young adults .
The increase of different faiths in society today, are having an impact on all members of society especially on small islands, and sometime this is not for the better of folk’s emotional or psychological wellbeing. Let me give an example, my mother who is now passed, during two lengthy vocations on the island, to take a break from the winter months, encountered nothing short of insultive, bullying, wickedness by a neighbour of differing faith – who caused my mother grief and deep upset to her already very sensitive nature, for the police was informed, all because my mother was still practising her brought up childhood faith, and was accused of statue worship – now I say, why do these folks not visit the higher religious earthly management team with their personal doctrines, and leave gentle folks like my late mother alone. I have no intention of visiting this woman’s church, but on the contrary her church may say, we do not expect this behaviour from our brethren.

Whilst using Tony’s phrase, ‘I do not give a hoot’ about anyone’s faith selection, but no one should wickedly afflict folks life with the misery based on their preferred religious beliefs or expectations, folks religious selection based on their own criteria whether it is right or wrong in anyone eyes ,all folks need to be treated with respect and dignity especially in a small community where folks need to show mutual compassion and understanding for the up building of their community instead of contributing to the brutal act of condemnation, bitterness and hatred – based on our slavery past, regardless of folks religious beliefs, I will not be throwing any inclusive or dismissive stones, you know what, I will leave the inclusive or dismissive stones for the 'holy of holies' and you know what, I wish them the very best - remembering from my childhood catechism lesson, with a few stones David killed the giant Goliath who was beckoning for someone to take him on!

And which decent Caribbean folks want or should have to put up with these communal on their pedestal, breeds of ‘religious slave faith dictatorship agents’. As a lady from Carriacou once told me, ‘the religious building with its statues were there before some of these folks were born’ – so practice your faith, but do not orally shun, insult, reject folks on what they believe is religiously fitting for them unless of course, insulting, rejecting, brutal slave mastery behaviour is part your religious faith beliefs.!

Re: religion slave agents : inclusive or dismissive of a once small 'cohesive' community?

>>Hey Melo, I personally couldn't give a hoot that the queen bestowed the BEM MEDAL on Albert Joseph, and for that matter anyone else.<<

The above is quoted verbatim from my post in response to Melo's "COME ON."

Maybe I'm living in a different world, but Lady G, please let me know since when the act of the queen bestowing the BEM MEDAL on someone has become or always was a religious act. Are you trying to paint me as a religious hater who has no respect for other's religion?

If I'm wrong please tell me my dear lady, what point are you trying to make by twisting what I said, so you can write >>Whilst using Tony’s phrase, ‘I do not give a hoot’ about anyone’s faith selection, but no one should wickedly afflict folks life with the misery based on their preferred religious beliefs or expectations, folks religious selection based on their own criteria whether it is right or wrong in anyone eyes...<<

Maybe I've misunderstood your point. But this is not the first time that you've lost me and many others who've voiced the same thing with whatever point it is that you were/are trying to make.
Anyway whatever your point is, please quote me correctly, and DO NOT attribute YOUR words to me.

It would be appreciated; thank you.

Re: religion slave agents : inclusive or dismissive of a once small 'cohesive' community?

i have to write this, not as good as lady g style , i am not well educated,i will be the first to admit - people should not rebuff others when they need to write things of interest - also jealousies brief jealousies, long live lady g - i wish i could right as well. funny it is a bit of a thumbs down for you sad people, when the big time people can quote from famous authors of literichtere. - somethings u right make me think.

lady g god bless you dear, i know you are in the pacific region, enjoy the sun, let me know when, if you are coming to uk at any time, i will buy you in coffee and keep writingh.

I sympathize with you and sorry to hear about your mother but I understand where you are coming from. When I was a little girl many of my neighbours changed religion and my mother did not and we had a difficult time with them. If we dressed in shorts or attend our church we were ridiculed. These people were our relatives but they were ignorant and were brain washed. We moved and left them with their lives and we noticed their lives began to crumble. Just leave them to God and he will do the rest.