Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Between Obeah And The Free Masons, Ah Hope dey Doh Catch Me!

Vernon, I believe the arrangements were made by the members while they are/were living. I have never known of any family members who disapprove these proceedings. Did you know when we were growing up in gouyave the mechanics and the foresters used to wear white gloves and a long sword every time they have a function or a funeral. They used to stand guard in front and around the building. I know some of the members are reading this article/articles. Can someone tell me why?

Re: Between Obeah And The Free Masons, Ah Hope dey Doh Catch Me!

From time immemorial we have tried to probe the inner workings of the “secret” Fraternities that have existed in society but to no avail because even if the truth or most of the truth is known it will not be accepted because it does not equate to the mystique and mystery that has surrounded these bodies. This is true when it comes to the question about the ritual performed when a member of a certain Fraternity or Church goes through transition or death. There is nothing that is unusual or uncommon more so that any other ritual that is performed within the society and we know that like with funerals and funeral rites it is vital for bringing about closure to the relatives and a sense of reality, a reaffirming of the faith if you will, to the living that this passing or transition is a normal course of life.

I will suggest that when a member of a fraternity such as the Masons or any of the afore mentioned Fraternities undergoes transition it is usually by a request made by the deceased and a common understanding with the family that the organization would do a funeral ritual which is then usually followed by a regular Denominational funeral depending of the persons persuasion. We must remember that many of the Fraternity brothers and sisters are also members of the standard Denominations within the community. I think it important to state here also that The Masons, Rosicrucian (AMORC), Mechanics or Forrester are not considered Religions and should not be mistaken as such. Now I am sure that we all have been to a funeral at least once and we know that it can be up to or longer than an hour in duration and we have other forms of rituals that are performed almost immediately after death and with less fanfare. Each group has justifications for their form of final passage and each may object to the other forms that exist with or without reason but the fact is that there is always a form of final passage and it is vital to bring about a sense of closure through the celebrations of ones life or mourning because of the passing.