Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A feeling that is as American as apple pie

Many great points have been highlighted here and can be considered to be at the heart of the economic issues faced in this country. Looking at the following statement;<>

I can say that this is very striking as it raised the question of patriotism and all things American. It has always been the case as far as I can remember that the people who can afford the so called “finer things in life” seem to look for the imports or things from another land or country. German cars, French Perfumes, Italian designs in all fashions as they are synonymous with better quality and the rich will only have the best there is to offer. What does that infer about American produced products? What is the value of made in America? Have you ever noticed that Caribbean people seem to always buy Japanese or foreign automobiles? Is it because they believe or know that they are investing in a better product? American companies have been outsourcing jobs to other countries and were given incentives to do that especially during the Regan era - a logic that has evaded me – Oh don’t get me wrong I can see the sense in cost of labor issues and just perhaps the quality of work done for such low wages.

Who cares of working conditions and slavery of children as long as the companies can make money and the CEO’s can make hundreds of millions a year while reducing the local work force with no considerations whatever. Who cares if the economy suffers as long as I make money and lots of it. I can go buy a Palm island in Dubai or in the Caribbean (calivigny island for example) for peanuts and live like a king. Who cares about America or any other country for that matter as money transcends boundaries. Money creates its own territory and demands its own patriotism. This seem to be the case with all races and peoples that once you become rich you seem to follow the established pattern or system because you might not be in the rich status for long if you don’t. The problem here is one that is systemic and universal. This concept that I might be or my kids might be in the rich bracket is the unattainable HOPE sold as the American Dream. Sought of selling us on the rewards of an afterlife while the “salesmen” are reaping the rewards here in this life.

I would like to step back a bit to the initial point about people wanting imported or foreign things and look at a fairly local example. Growing up I have always had my pants and jackets made by a tailor, Figs, Domingo, Balthazar, ETC and to me then it was just the way it was and it was not a big deal. School uniforms were made by the local seamstresses and tailors and sometimes by the parent- god forgive. It might have been viewed as an inferior process or way also as it was local and there might have been a yearning to have imported clothes or clothes sent to us in the box that comes for Christmas from England or USA. We then stroll as a boss in American or England duds which was reserved for church. Today we look back and realize that we were living a like kings having our clothes “COUTURED” a service only the rich can afford in this country. I would ask at this point, is it marketing by the foreign countries or is it an inherent better quality of imported products? Is it a human condition to always want something other than what we are used to? Sought of the grass is greener on the other side scenario.

Is there a way to overcome this malady, if you will, or are we doomed by this as it is a universal principle and would always be the case? Can developing national awareness and pride be part of that building process?

Re: A feeling that is as American as apple pie

Sorry for the double postings but there was an omission during transfer:

Many great points have been highlighted here and can be considered to be at the heart of the economic issues faced in this country. Looking at the following statement;
<>
I can say that this is very striking as it raised the question of patriotism and all things American. It has always been the case as far as I can remember that the people who can afford the so called “finer things in life” seem to look for the imports or things from another land or country. German cars, French Perfumes, Italian designs in all fashions as they are synonymous with better quality and the rich will only have the best there is to offer. What does that imply about American produced products? What is the value of made in America? Have you ever noticed that Caribbean people seem to always buy Japanese or foreign automobiles? Is it because they believe or know that they are investing in a better product? American companies have been outsourcing jobs to other countries and were given incentives to do that especially during the Regan era - a logic that has evaded me – Oh don’t get me wrong I can see the sense in cost of labor issues and just perhaps the quality of work done for such low wages.

Who cares of working conditions and slavery of children as long as the companies can make money and the CEO’s can make hundreds of millions a year while reducing the local work force with no considerations whatever. Who cares if the economy suffers as long as I make money and lots of it. I can go buy a Palm island in Dubai or in the Caribbean for peanuts and live like a king. Who cares about America or any other country for that matter as money transcends boundaries. Money creates its own territory and demands its own patriotism. This seem to the case with all races and peoples that once you become rich you seem to follow the established pattern or system because you might not be in the rich status for long. The problem here is one that is systemic and universal. This I might be or my kids might be in the rich bracket is the unattainable HOPE sold as the American Dream. Sought of selling us on the rewards of an afterlife while the “salesmen” are reaping the rewards here in this life.

I would like to step back a bit to the initial point about people wanting imported or foreign things and look at a fairly local example. Growing up I have always had my pants and jackets made by a tailor, Figs, Domingo, Balthazar ETC and to me then it was just the way it was and it was not a big deal. School uniforms were made by the local seamstresses and tailors and sometimes by the parent- god forgive. It might have been viewed as an inferior process or way also as it was local and there might have been a yearning to have imported clothes or clothes sent to us in the box that comes for Christmas from England or USA. We then stroll as a boss in American or England duds which was reserved for church. Today we look back and realize that were living a like kings having our clothes “COUTURED” a service only the rich can afford in this country. I would ask at this point is it marketing by the foreign countries or is it an inherent better quality of imported products? Is it a human condition to always want something other than what we are used to? Sought of the grass is greener on the other side scenario.
Is there a way to overcome this malady, if you will, or are we doomed by this as it is a universal principle and would always be the case? Can developing national awareness and pride be part of that building process?