Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Down Street, The Frenchman Parler, Sah!

Down Street

Your appeal for an intervention on my part regarding the subject matter of assigned nicknames did not go un-noticed. But as I was attending to business in the "French Quarters" for the last three weeks, it had to take precedent over those of the Talkshop, particularly as we had debated this nickname indulgence ad-nauseum at some earlier point in time and on another forum.

And as painful as it was to read some of the responses you received; the sentiments expressed and the myopic point of views, the only new addition that seems germain to the topic was your introduction of a subliminal concern with an implied warning for which we must be cognoscent. This, of course, was met with a response by Wilton Thomas (welcome aboard, Wilton) implying  that>>>>>> " .....Your reference to legality or the responsibility of the Web Master should be of little concern to us as long as we keep our business local and not all the time make references to America, lets keep this Grenadian my friend....".

Upon reading this, I was taken back a bit as I remembered so well,  the shot! Tony had fired across the bow of posters here, reminding all that there is a potential of facing a law suit in the event one chooses to violate the Rules of Engagement and make any disparaging posts/remarks on another. And while I believe that the use of  Nicnames (in general as they are used here on Talkshop) do not rise to the level of any mal-intent, especially as it is seared so deeply in our West Indian Culture, I would hate for this to be the decision of some Judge and Jury in a court of law. Your warning seems to err on the side of caution in order to prevent such intervention because it can be very expensive....win or lose. But as our beloved Webmaster (good intentions notwithstanding) would surely be the lonely one standing in defense of our "freedom of speech", being cautious of this reality is at least the prudent mindset one needs to have, regardless of American or any other country's influences.

We have to be mindful that the idea of keeping our motto, "so we dey" or "keeping things Grenadian" or " is ah Gouyave ting" can become quite painful and can quickly find its qualifier in a court of law when one feels aggrieved; justifiable or not.

Here is a reminder of how the convenience of being American (remembering Wilton's warning.... implication of law suits) can supercede our cherished innocent dissenting perception of labeling "all politicans as thieves" in order to express our displeasure with them.

While we were busy being Grenadian (school children) with our "tongue in cheek", our PM took the position of the Crappud and reminded Worme of his (the PM) displeasure.

The result is an excerpted summary of the court's ruling and gives new neaning to the old axiom in true Grenadian style  of " what is joke for school children is death for Crappo"

As reported in the West Indian media:

"Prime Minister Dr Keith Mitchell has welcomed a High Court ruling that ordered an attorney and a newspaper editor to pay EC$120,000 to him over an article claiming that he was engaged in corrupt practices. Mitchell said that while the wheels of justice “grinds very slowly”, he is hoping that the media in general act much more responsible."

As reported....said the PM, further

“People have a right to protect their character. Hopefully, this sends the right message so that the media act more responsible,” said Prime Minister Mitchell, adding that “the press must be free but also be responsible”.

And still another, as reported

"Earlier this year, Agricultural economist and Grenada’s Plenipotentiary Representative to the Caribbean Community (Caricom), Dr Patrick Antoine, was awarded more than EC$500,000 against Noel and the Grenada Today newspaper, which has since gone into liquidation."

IMHO,  this is precisely what you were alluding to in your initial post; the harsh reality that WE! West Indians in general, like it or not, have adopted the American model of seeking redress for any impunity on one's character. And while there are some nicknames that are quite mundane and have become acceptable in our culture, there are others that the " West Indianized/Americanized Crapuds may not find funny at all.

VJL

Re: Down Street, The Frenchman Parler, Sah!

V, i didnt plan on continuing the discussion on the nicknames, re obituaries, but for clarity let me state AGAIN. I DO NOT manufacture Obituaries/ Death Announcements, i am always EMAILED by the AGENCY or the BEREAVED! In some cases, when i see mistakes/typo, I DONT NOT EDIT. let me educate folks for those that dont know the procedures.

When someone dies

*Funeral Home of choice is called and remains are picked up, BASIC information of the dead is collected onsite.

*Next day, family member/person who is paying, goes to the FUNERAL HOMES with MORE details(up until that time, no announcement is made).

*Funeral Home receives information for announcement, the "client chooses on which TV and radio they want the announcement broadcasted(prices are set).

* AS CLOCKWORK, I RECEIVE EMAILS EVERY DAY AT 2.45 /3.00PM from La Qua

* There are some families that request...........NO ANNOUNCEMENT OR NO VIEWING then i get the notice not to post( recently a calypsoian died and requested, No announcement on radio or tv. his daughter sent me a picture of him to do a facebook tribute.

* a photo and "pending announcement" are given.

* Days after, details of next of kin and funeral date are GIVEN BY THE person incharge. The annoucement moves from pending to full announcement.

* Very often, there are edits/ changes BY THE FAMILY MEMBER RESPONSIBLE. La Qua or any agency CANNOT and WILL NOT make changes, add name on their own. EVERY NAME MENTIONED IN THE OBITS ARE GIVEN BY THE FAMILY.

Finally, i give you an example, 3 weeks ago, i received an obituary and posted it, the person had a NICKNAME, however, I THINK it was a TYPO by the person submitting it, they had an "a" instead of an "i" in the person's name. EVERYONE of his friend and relatives who post condolences spell it correctly, I DID NOT CHANGE THE TYPO MADE BY THE FAMILY EVEN THOUGH I SAW THE MISTAKE. it is still there for all to see. IT SIMPLY NOT MY PLACE TO MAKE CHANGES to people information, they will have too.......I REST MY CASE

Art,

I opened up a new thread simply as a direct response back to Down Street for fretting me and not because of any desire to prolong the discussion. I understood from your first response that you are on the ball with ensuring that your " i's" are dotted and "t's" crossed. My concerns are for those who may not be aware of your efforts and may want to "force me to sell me little Pre-cut Janet house and lend you the money for Lawyer fee, so you doh have to make ah gaol"....Lol

We good on this, Bro.

VJL

He he he he he, Nahhhh, you doh have to sell nutting. If push comes to shove.........i will do as Gawker or Trump and file for bankruptcy. (Even in Grenada, dat wont work)

Nahhhh, i did take any offence to you i just went the extra mile to lay out the procedures. What gives in NA does not apply here. Actually, people make confusion for their names to be included on the announcements. Some years ago, a play was put on by a theater company, "the Burial of Miss Faithlyn" where one family member didnt hear her name called out, made confusion, "ah paying me money, put down me namethe point i wish to get accross, is that anything you see in an announcement come form the family.

Another example, Miss Mitchell(near the pasture), Wilan's mother died, he called me to inform me about her death, yet it wasnt posted until today. I waitied until La Qua sent it to me. I just dont know what arrangement the family made, until it is sent to me. Merry Christmas.......is it here yet??

Doh watch dat!!

Oh Gawd, allu please leave the dead people alone. They are not preparing to take an exam (dowm dey) They won't be hearing the nick name. They lived with it, so they die with it. That's my say.

I don't understand why allyu so desperate to cease this hugely interesting thread. I am trapped here in the far north of England with very little relief from rain, cold, mist, fog and noisy grandchildren. This is the only light relief I get!

Arthur, I just want to tell you that when I shuffle off this mortal coil you should have no qualms about publishing on this esteemed site any names my dear children chose to reveal to you.

He he he he he, ah know right!! So, do i have permission to add "aka mangodog"? ha ha ha ha....put it in writing eh. DWL

Well papi, you up in the bush. When you see my sister Juliet, tell her hi for me. I havent been able to call her for the pass two months. My phone system is down but hopefully a new one will be installed this weekend. Enjoying your Huddersfield weather?

Good day to all , welcome back Vernon. I had a good laugh this morning when I open the website and looked at the new reply's from Vernon's piece yesterday. I was itching to reply yesterday but decided to lay low until this morning, Finally we will have closure on this issue and what a great discussion it was, Arthur I see that Vernon has raised his white flag in agreement with your point of view, I salute him here. Arthur keep up the good work and remember is "so we dey, it's a Grenadian ting, Ah gone".

Frenchman, I opened this thread seeking your take and Arthur's take on the subject and I got them. Thank you for your insightful response, your vocabulary like your reasoning, was impeccable as always, even if English was not the Frenchman's "franca lingua" as we say Down Street.

And speaking of Downstreet, we had no intent of making the natives restless, we were simply making an observation, which somehow brought out the defense squad. Of course I had no idea that this topic was debated on the site before, since I am only an occasional visitor.

Again I welcome the cogent clarity which you brought to the topic, and for that I think that we should share an eights of Rivers on the L'anse bridge one evening.Not sure if it would be wise to venture further North.