Gogouyave.com's Forum

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Subliminal Message In Our Children's Protest....Cut It Out!

The crescendo of my visit to Gouyave last month was culminated with the school children (mostly little girls), staging a protest against the establishment that seems to protect the scourge of pedefilia/child abuse in our town.

Supported by their proud Mothers and the guarded protection of the police walking alongside with them, their little voices were a clarion call that was loud an passionate enough to drown out the music that kept them walking in cadence.

And while it played a familiar reggar genre, the poignant lyrics in the chorus....."Daddy! ah go tell Mammy if you touch me dey" was a reminder of how deep the problem had permeated itself in the homes of our Gouyave folks and the children-some with their eyes closed, bellowed out thouse words with such clarity and passion that would make any parent proud.

One could have felt their anger as it demanded attention to the issue they had chosen to bring forward to the public to shame their perpetrators and expose the legal establishment for not protecting them. The deftening silence of the on-lookers added to the aura of a group which we all know was in desperate need to be heard and those little children were the champion of the moment.

Kudos to them for opening the closet and revealing those dirty little secrets that continue to keep them hostage in their homes. Their voices alone was enough to send a message to any potential predator that they would be exposed and reported to the authority.
They have become the voices of those Mothers who for economic reasons, choose to remain silent while protecting themselves and their pedophile Husbands/ boyfriend at the expense of their children innocence.

Should we in Gouyave, Grenada in general continue to tolerate statutory rapist in our midst or should we invest in Rape Kits; " jail! dem baches an dem" and save our children from a life-time of psychological scar from these beasts.?

"it is time to cut it out!"

VJL

Re: The Subliminal Message In Our Children's Protest....Cut It Out!

Finally Grenada children voices can be heard. It's time. If those mothers decide to be silent, they should be put in jail. No woman should love their husband, boyfriend or family member, more than their children.

Re: The Subliminal Message In Our Children's Protest....Cut It Out!

Sister Merle,

I totally agree with you and it is about time people begin to recognize the problem for what it is; pure unadulterated statutory rape and incest. In the case of the women who choose to remain silent, I don't think it is love for Husband over that of their children. Instead I believe it is a case of economics and the fear of having to raise children by themselves that influences their silence.

As you are aware, this is more devastating to a child's psyche than one can imagine. There are cases of permiscuity and suicidal tendencies, not to mention the lack of self worth and esteem; all associated with early sexual intervention. Still these children are expected to take up their rightful places in society and live "normal lives".

Good to see them addressing the problem head on. The next step should be the incorporation of our legal system to prosecute all those who are charged and have them face the full extent of the law but be mindful of those who are accused and found to be not guilty. They too should be fully exonerated and be given a chance to live their lives free from any stigma even though I think this would not be possible.

VJL