Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TOWARD A CREOLE MYTH OF ORIGIN - by Doris L. Garraway

Get with it, bro.

At Trump University, they taught us that there is a new paradigm in communication where we respond to what is meant (Gouyave Town) rather than what is said (Gouyave Parish). And for a "Creole with a hybrid composition" and amply supply of Rivers. I thought you would have known that?....Lol

But I can see you agreeing with me ami, Monsieur Glissant when he opined that you doh need no dam! Genesis....Lol

Ah going an find ah French Man who can explain to all you why the L'anse produce so many Doctors /Phd per capita, more than any parish in Grenada. Doh worry. Ah ent go ask dat Selwyn to do the sums.

Oh! And FYI, please don't sully my initials, eh!.

It is "VJL" not VTL, you with you dam Chinese computer.

>>Race mixing in general and the "slave trade" in particular have so blurred the lines of "Origin" that it is ignorant, and foolhardy, for most mixed race people any where to trace their roots through four or five generations.<<

>>On the white hand side, if you were the seed of the Straw boss, indentured servant, or God Forbid Massa's wife or daughters, "Cuccut eat your nanna." Ain't nobody claiming you, so the trace of your origin stops at the plantation gate, or at whichever far flung location you are shipped off to.Personally I have no desire, to know which lions my ancestors ran from, or from which of the Scottish Highland clans my great-grandfather hailed.<<

Amen, Amen, Downstreet, to both statements.

I am at a loss when I read about our people paying a fortune to "t r a c e" their heritage. DeCoteau is a name I inherited, and the same was true for my father and generations before him until we get to the beginning where the salve simply adopted his slave owner's name because his original name was wiped out of him. Therefore why on God's good earth should I be overly concerned about how the DeCoteau name came about? Now if there was some way that my ancestral African name could be traced, then you'll have much more than just my attention.
That scene in ROOTS where Kinta Kunte was forced to denounce his name and instead call himself Toby tells us the whole story of our so-called heritage and last names.

For us (WE) our Myth of Origin is La Grenada. Was it a reconstruction or a birth -- is what the introduction of this little narrative is about.

Neither Africa nor Europe are kicking down our doors to come reclaim us. We have been motherless for over 400 years. It was 400 years ago that the construction of our new identity started here in La Grenada. In Africa and Europe today all the tribes who lived next to each other are in perpetual conflict. Imagine how Africans today will feel about a tribe dislocated from the continent for over 400 years. And Europe never welcomed those who made the Colonies their new permanent home back again with their composite offspring. It was the birth of (WE), La Grenada.

Gouyave still is the place of the geneses of our will for self-determination and is where the attempted abortion of the embryo of our natural identity happened when the Fedon insurgency was defeat.

It is difficult for the average Grenadian to fully understand that because we were not educated to do so. We were educated to be English subjects who only needed to learn how to be obedient servants and know our places.

Until the Treaty of Paris in 1763 – what is called the Parish of St. John today was for 150 years under French rule of La Grenade Called Paroisse de L’Ance Goyave. For a true Gouyave Patriots, that name for the PARISH will always be. Unfortunately, we take it for granted that this is common knowledge. We have work to do.

The subject of this short narrative by Mrs. Garraway relates to the defining process of a national Identity. Every nation – big and small, has a unique cultural and national identity. For Africans and Europeans the two major people in this narrative, the geneses of their identity are found in Africa and Europe. There is a Myth to each of them. Colonialization started new Genesis – or did it? That is the question. Were La Grenada by the end of 150 years of French Creoles, African and African Creoles, Coloreds, and the Native Caribs who survived or who contributed to the genetic “composite People”, constituted the beginning of a new people with its own natural and unique identity?

When La Grenada was ‘negotiated’ to the British in the Treaty of Parish in 1763, no one consulted the ‘Composite people’ of La Grenada as to how they wanted to be governed or be recognized after developing their own identity for 150 years. Paroisse de L’Ance Gouyave was as I mentioned the geneses of the “Composite People” of La Grenade. The spirit of recognizing where the birth of your identity is - is
not easily suppressed. And this is why I have argued that L’Ance Gouyave even with its adopted British name of St. John, is still striving to continue developing what should be the true identity of La Grenade.

And I DO AGREE that neither Pedigree or Degree, or the percentage of your European or African composition, should Trump the struggle to continue to reclaim our true natural national identity as one People.