Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Forum: Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Bursting the Thread Below, With an Intriguing Observation.

Said the Downstreet "conversational provocateur" 

".....If I was to be politically correct, I would remind you that Dyer Marquez is a Portuguese descendant from the South land who may not like your Francophone version of his name."

"McKay" happens to be one of my favorite Gouyave personalities and one whom I have admired all during my youthful days. I doubt he would frown of my "Francophoning" or even my Africanization of his name.

But your mentioning of his Portuguese descendence brings into focus the varied nationalities that left behind their "hybrid genes" that continue in Gouyave to this day. I was always intrigued by the cultural mix that once formed our  kaleidoscopic tapestry of varied nationalities and hues, and became even more suspect of that "nice harmonious relationship" we laid claim too. 

Was it always that way?

Looking back and with a little more insight into their immigration status, it continues to be an inquisition in the waiting and one which I am sure has a History of its own.

For example, we had men like Domingo (the Taylor), The Donaldson's (remembering Kipuchi); The Dabreo's (Frank and Brothers); The Bernadine's (Dux-dux and Brothers) The Guinessie's ; The Vincent's; The Roche's; The Duncan's; The Mathlyn's; Miss Henny, Miss DeFratas and last but not least, the Duncans; all with ancestral national origins from other countries that contributed to the Gouyave experience. This begs to ask the question of making general historical references to our people from the context of a pre colonial period of slavery to the more diversified town that we now know. Have we remained consistant in our socio-political and cultural diversities efforts along the way so as to draw any parallel between then and now?

Maybe you, Selwyn or the good  Peter St. Paul may be able to give us some account of their transitioning into the more dominant African culture by way of "injection" or otherwise. 

Monsieur Louison

Email