Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "The Slave; The Cane; The Sugar; The Show, All at River Antoine"

Monsieur St. Paul,
Thank you for prompting me to the link to Sandra. She is my First Cousin by way of her Father being my Uncle.

I have never met the young lady but she seems to have followed in the Louison's track; branching off in a new direction which I am sure would be rewarding in the future.

Kudos to her for not being intimidated into diverting away from the traditional professions and embracing new challenges.

Thanks again

Monsieur Louison from the French Quarters

Re: "The Slave; The Cane; The Sugar; The Show, All at River Antoine"

Bonjour Monsieur Louison.

Interesting. As you mentioned before, there are so many Louison around the world, one cannot be sure who is related to who! ;-). I like Sandra because she seems independent and opened to new research and ideas. Not too many Grenadians born outside Grenada ever look back at where their parents came from. We can change that.

Sticking to subject of your post, I believe there is a lot we can do to change the way we deal with our cultural heritage. If we continue the way we are going, we will lose all evidence of our UNIQUE experiences that defined the people we are today. And if we continue to use our history as just a tool to exploit political benefits, our dignity will be just another cheap commodity like the Rum and Coco-Cola image the world knows us best for.

We have a very complex and dignified history that has been abandoned and trivialized as we struggle just to survive the economic Gauntlet we are faced with from one generation to another. This abandonment has been stripping us or our dignified place on every stage where cultural identities are displayed globally. It leaves us generation after generation scavenging in place to call home and plant new roots. It is there that most of us are no longer proud Grenadians. We need to find ways that will maintain links to the homeland where our identity lies buried. We need a new deck of cards on the table and encourage new players. We need to expand the table and allow all Grenadians to participate – where ever they are today, and not just have players from the old guard playing the same old game that is now boring and tired. Today’s generation have more options to experiment with different views and are no longer just an audience willing and able to accept the Gospel of our history according to the chosen ones who are usually motivated to settle political gripes.

It can sometimes be discouraging to see others show so much interest in knowing about our complex history, while we – Grenadians, bicker over the same old simple thoughts of who we are. One such example I came across lately is this short document from Project Muse.

Cultural Tourism in Grenada

It’s worth a read IMHO, and something for us to think about. I also feel that it falls into the subject of your post and can probably stimulate a respectable discussion on this Lady’s opinions of our tourism plans.