Gogouyave.com's Forum

Views expressed on this website are those of the person or persons posting the message and does not reflect the views of Gogouyave.com

Rules Of this Talk Shop

1. Do not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, obscene, vulgar, hateful, abusive, threatening, or an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise a violation of any laws.

2. Finally, the owners of this web site reserve the right to remove any messages posted, for legal reasons. 

So please! please! try to keep your posts clean. Webmaster

Gouyave Talk
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gogouyave.com is 16 years today!!

On this day at 2.35pm in 2004, I gave the ok to “publish’ and so, Gogouyave.com was “born”. I was at an Event Planning conference in St. Lucia when I called David Duncan to say go ahead.

The journey started in 1997, I was in NYC fighting cancer and was longing for news from home. I will travel to Brooklyn every Sunday from Upper Manhattan to get The Grenadian Voice and Informer from a corner store that sold newspapers. It wasn’t like what we are enjoying now. In those days, calls were still very expensive and I was far away from home and wanted to know what’s going on.

It was just after 29th June, 1997 that the idea came to do a website when I return home. It was to keep Grenadian, especially my Gouyave people updated and connected with home, daily.

I knew what I wanted but didn’t know how to do it. I tried lots of people to assist with developing a website but all met with failure. In the meantime, I was gathering all the information needed. Then in early 2004 someone told me to try David and that was the time serious action started. I gave him all the info and it was daily back and forth. He will come down to Licks N Bytes show me his progress and I will make adjustments. Michael Jessamy was very helpful with most of the historical information and Henry Duncan with photograph. Getting current news was headache, but we have a lot of information to start and we had Fisherman Birthday and Carnival as our main event to promote.

Obituaries wasn’t no way in the plan, it came announcement. We started when someone from the L’anse died and I posted about it in the message forum and you know Gouyave people does died in Groups. We continued posting death announcement about people in Gouyave until a lady said we are selfish because someone died in Marigot and we didn’t post it, so I did and other started saying do all of St. John. I went to Thomas LaQua, he did buy into it immediately, it took some time to convince him and then he started giving me the info and so Obituaries became the major part of the website.

Since then, you won’t imagine the kind of fight down and intrigues to do Obituaries within the last 5 years. Today, online obituaries is everywhere and everyone wants to get into it.

So today, 16 years later we are here, not where we want to be. Leaving home and moving to Cuba has it many challenges with operating the site, there is an upgrade in progress but covid-19 put a halt to it. Hopeful in the near future we can revamp and make some much-needed upgrade.

Thank to David Duncan, without him, there was no Gogouyave
Roger Gilbert Kool Rog who used his “wething” hosting account
Michael Jessamy, Henry Duncan Keville Frederick, Leon DeCoteau, and my son, Greig Stjohn.

To Michael Passee, Collis Tony DeCoteau and ALL other foundation members and all those who visit gogouyave.com daily, Thanks, happy 16th !!!

Re: gogouyave.com is 16 years today!!

HEY DJ I join with u in wishing GO GOUYAVE happy birthday an many more birtndays to come.I do hope WE the GRENADIANS abroad appreciate the news we gets from GO GOUYAVE,ONCE again Happy Birthday GO GOUYAVE:laughing:

Congratulations to you Arthur and the gang and happy birthday to Gogouyave.com wishing you many, many, more birthdays. And when our generation is gone I hope someone with continue to showcase Gouyave and her people past and present.

Nothing but admiration for your perseverance and eventually providing a platform for Gouyave people throughout the world to reconnect with each other. Too bad that some of us chose "tay-bay" etc to put an end to what was fast becoming a Gouyave trademark. Hopefully it will regain its rightful place.

Congrats, again.

Congratulations Arthur on your efforts to keep Gouyave alive in the hearts and minds of those who love the place. Talkshop Selwyn and the bwoys toasted the occasion with Clarkes Court of all things, (perish the thought), because the Shop had run out of Rivers.
I look back fondly on the lively discourse which we enjoyed with VJL and others, chatting in the Gouyave parlance which is currently being summarily dismissed as "tay bay talk" by the more learned, educated, and accomplished self appointed Talk Shop Police on here. It begs the question, "Why has this forum devolved into the current graveyard it is today, competing with the Obituary pages while Sergeant Shultz is in charge.
Vernon if Cobid has not visited you yet could you make a brief appearance on GG TS and bring a ventilator and some PPE with you.