Return to Website

Dart 18 Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

The view and opinions expressed on this chat page forum are the responsibility of the individuals posting each notice. This forum is provided as a service to the members of UKIDA and does not necessarily reflect the view of UKIDA.

Index > General > Dart 18 Forum > Leave mast fixed?
Forum: Dart 18 Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Leave mast fixed?

Would it be a good idea to secure the mast in the fixed position with a pin, as used when raising or lowering the mast, to stop the mast pivoting and wearing out the ball when the boat is left in the dinghy park?

Re: Leave mast fixed?

I usually tie the traveller to the spanner to stop the mast rotating. Using a pin would be more effective.

Putting the pin in is not a good idea as it fixes the mast sideways to the boat. It will create a lot more windage this way.It will still vibtate and damage the ball and mast foot around the pin as it will be stainless steel wearing out the aluminium .I use the method that simon uses which holds the mast fairly tight but still allows it to rotate enough into the prevailing wind.

Thanks for that. I'll use the traveller.

Interesting comments.

If you are worried about wear;
You could use a Teflon patch, that is what Hobies use on thier balls!!!
Years ago, people used a copper penny. ooh eer!!

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com