minidoodle minibike message board

Welcome to minidoodle message board. Feel free to browse and post messages.   Please keep this message board clean and to the subject of minibikes and related topics.

How to post pictures on the message forum?

Go to www.photobucket.com

Upload your photos and the cut copy and paste the HTML tag on the forum. That’s it!

Forum: minidoodle minibike message board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
L. Ronney & Sons

Picked up a scooter that looks like a cushman eagle. The tag on the frame says L.Ronney & sons Los Angeles Ca. Any body heard of this scooter?

Email  
Re: L. Ronney & Sons

Hey Steve,
Can you post a picture of it? Or send it to me.

heres the pictures of the scooter. sorry it took so long to post! steve

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Email  

I believe you own a Cyclone Motorcycle Scooter. It looks pretty old. Here is a link to what I found.
http://scooter.lst1090.org/index.htm
Hope this helps.

heres the pictures of the scooter. sorry it took so long to post! steve

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Email  

That was called a "Jeepette" and was made by my Dad, Uncle and Grandfather. They were made for basic transportation during WWII, then after the war my family tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to sell them to the consumer market.

Here are some items of interest:

The factory:

Sam (my uncle) riding a Jeepette:

Brochure:

Email  

Quote: Paul Ronney
That was called a "Jeepette" and was made by my Dad, Uncle and Grandfather. They were made for basic transportation during WWII, then after the war my family tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to sell them to the consumer market.

Here are some items of interest:

The factory:

Sam (my uncle) riding a Jeepette:

Brochure:

Hi Paul,
That is amazing history. Can you give me a brief history on your families company. I would like to post this on the web site. As well as to all the models that were built with pictures.
Thanks

Hi Jay,

L. Ronney and Sons was a furniture manufacturing company, not a vehicle company. I'm not sure exactly when it started, probably in the mid 1920's to early 1930's based on family history. It was only during the war that they switched to manufacturing other products in support of the war effort. Besides the scooters (made mostly for the Navy, I believe, to get around their huge bases), they also made wooden bows for small ships - perhaps PT boats, I don't know for sure.

I do know that many of the workers in the factory were deaf or mute. Much of the labor pool that did not have handicaps were shipped overseas, and manufacturing jobs did not require constant communication that would have been difficult (though my father did learn sign language to communicate with them).

Like so many other businesses, L. Ronney and Sons tried to convert their wartime products into peacetime profits - unsuccessful in the case of scooters. I'm pretty sure there was only this one model of scooter. Also I think the family was worried about corporate liability even back then. I was told that my grandmother Lilian Ronney (who was the real businessperson, the men were technically savvy, but business-wise not so much) really wanted to halt production, saying that, "this scooter will bankrupt us".

As per the note at the bottom of the brochure, many of the engine parts came from the Ford flathead V8 (note that is consistent with the 3 1/16" bore) since having readily available replacement parts were essential during the war.

L. Ronney and Sons was reasonably successful as a furniture company, both before and after WWII, before being sold to a larger firm in 1957.

Email  

Paul,
Is this company still in bussiness today? And if so what do they manufacture?

Hi Jay,

My father and his brother sold the company to a larger furniture company around 1957, and the L. Ronney and Sons company name disappeared. I believe the name of the company was Isenberg but I don't see any record of a furniture manufacturer still in business under that name.

Paul

Email  

Awesome story

Email  

I have one of your Grandfather's Western Style (Monterey style) chest of Drawers!

Email  

Hi Celiene, do you have a picture of it? The family still has a few pieces, I'm curious to see if yours looks like any of ours. Thanks!

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com