Return to Website

THE SF REVIEWS.NET FORUM

Welcome! The web's coolest SF & fantasy book review site is interactive, and you don't have to register or anything. Sound off about books you've read and loved, or hated. Is Wagner on-target about a particular book, or off-base? Recommend books that haven't been reviewed on the site yet. It's all yours.

Forum: THE SF REVIEWS.NET FORUM
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
"The Chrysalids"

Thank you, Mr. Wagner, for your fascinating review of The Chrysalids: you've captured both exactly what I liked about it, and exactly what troubled me.

I think perhaps the key to understanding your issues with the book's ending can be nailed down by examining the exceedingly convenient death of Sophie. Sophie, remember, was the little girl with six toes that David met at the story's beginning. When he meets her again, she's living in the Fringes: she has a life there, a community, presumably friends, a lover. She expresses regret that she and he can't have children together.

Sophie is conveniently killed during the battle, by an arrow from one of the Waknuk people. I say "conveniently" because this means she's dead before the Sealand craft arrives. David can deal with the deaths inflicted by the Sealanders' weapon in an abstract fashion: Look at all these deaths. You've killed off all these nameless, faceless people. He's never forced to confront the Sealand woman, or her allies, with an individual death: You've killed my childhood friend Sophie. And, just as conveniently, Sophie seems to vanish from his memory: he never addresses the reality that had Sophie not been struck by that arrow, the Sealanders' weapon would have killed her just as surely as it did all the others.

Email  
Re: "The Chrysalids"

That is an intriguing point, and one I had not considered. Thanks for the input!

TMW

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Cheap Domains