Return to Website

THE SF REVIEWS.NET FORUM

Welcome! The web's coolest SF & fantasy book review site is interactive, and you don't have to register or anything. Sound off about books you've read and loved, or hated. Is Wagner on-target about a particular book, or off-base? Recommend books that haven't been reviewed on the site yet. It's all yours.

THE SF REVIEWS.NET FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Number of the Beast review

I enjoyed your review of The Number of the Beast by Robert Heinlein. I remember my sense of wonder when I read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, my stoned-out excitement over Stranger in a Strange Land and thought of myself as a Heinlein fan. I even dabbled in quasi-libertarianism inspired by his stories. Now I wonder if his work really deteriorated so badly or if my adult eyes see a different world than my teenage eyes did. At any rate, I agree that Heinlein's later stories, especially Number, deteriorated badly--and that the whole sex thing became distracting from any sense of plot. What a shame that an author like Heinlein has works like Number and Friday as the culmination of his career.

Re: Number of the Beast review

I've read through most of his work during these past years. And some books hold up very well. I especially enjoyed Starship Troopers and even better, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Others like Stranger... not so much.

I'd advise people to just read the good books.