Return to Website

THE SF REVIEWS.NET FORUM

Welcome! The web's coolest SF & fantasy book review site is interactive, and you don't have to register or anything. Sound off about books you've read and loved, or hated. Is Wagner on-target about a particular book, or off-base? Recommend books that haven't been reviewed on the site yet. It's all yours.

Forum: THE SF REVIEWS.NET FORUM
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Magician (The Riftwar Saga)

You're probably annoyed of the whole Sword & Sorcery novels that pages off of Lord of The Rings, but the novel Magician by Raymond E. Feist was one of the greatest books I've ever read. I'll first off say I absolutely hated The Eye of the World and The Swords of Shannara as those two were blatant rip-offs and constantly felt slow. But Magician really takes the plot in a great direction, exploring astounding themes that have been rarely focused in High Fantasies. I love all types of SF books (my favorite are among George RR Martin and China Mieville) and I really believe Magician to be nothing short of a masterpiece. It was placed number 89 on BBC's Big Read of Top 200 Greatest Books of All Time, which isn't surprising after reading the book. So, if you may, I'd love to see you read and review Magician. It's a book that stands alone and you won't have to read the underwhelming sequels for the story to end for you.

Email  
Re: Magician (The Riftwar Saga)

Bill I agree completely. The Riftwar Saga is almost universally ranked as one of the top series of all time: Concensus Best Fantasy Series

One warning, however -- after the first trilogy the books do go downhill a bit , so you may want to consider stopping at that point.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com