Return to Website

Free Basketball Skills Message Board

Come here to learn free basketball skills, drills, moves, and lessons for free. improve your game. come on in.

Free Basketball Skills Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: is it true what others say?

what you have heard is the exact opposite of what is true. Weight lifting actually stimulates growth. exercises like squats and benchpresses are the ones that will weild the most growth because they work many muscles at once. Obviously they weight lifting is working for you and what you have heard is false. there are many books and articles that support my point. It is a good thing that you asked someone before you gave up weight lifting. if you want a more detailed, scientific explanation , just post again and ask for it. i will try to post again soon and thank you for posting.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I heard that lifting weights is really bad for the body since you will never grow any taller but ive been in the gym for 3 years (starting at 12 yrs old) and from 4'11 1/2 i shot up to 5'6 1/2 (15 yrs old) is it true and is so what are the work outs I must avoid...ive been lifting weights on my arms,legs,shoulders, but ive been growing....what the heck is this all about

Re: Re: is it true what others say?

Obviously they lie!!!! they want me to stop growing... I work out in the gym almost twice a day then go home do crunches and drink amino acid vitamins, and sleep well I wish by the end of the year I can be around 5'10 from 5'6 1/2 so I can be more useful in the court....Lat pull downs are effective right? and so are leg press.... I want to jump higher....is it effective as an exercise for the shooting arm to sit down then shoot against the wall with all and catch it as it bounces ( Im doin both left and right handed jumpshots) and it seems that the left is more effective than my dominant hand whats with that?

Replying to:

what you have heard is the exact opposite of what is true. Weight lifting actually stimulates growth. exercises like squats and benchpresses are the ones that will weild the most growth because they work many muscles at once. Obviously they weight lifting is working for you and what you have heard is false. there are many books and articles that support my point. It is a good thing that you asked someone before you gave up weight lifting. if you want a more detailed, scientific explanation , just post again and ask for it. i will try to post again soon and thank you for posting.

Replying to:

I heard that lifting weights is really bad for the body since you will never grow any taller but ive been in the gym for 3 years (starting at 12 yrs old) and from 4'11 1/2 i shot up to 5'6 1/2 (15 yrs old) is it true and is so what are the work outs I must avoid...ive been lifting weights on my arms,legs,shoulders, but ive been growing....what the heck is this all about

Re: Re: Re: is it true what others say?

Some weights do affect growth, do NOT listen to the guy that responded to you. You are 15, it is mostly ok then. But at younger ages from 12-14(sometimes upto 16 dependin on your maturity), Do NOT use HEAVY weights on excercies such as Bench Press and OL's ... They can injure or create an inbalance in your growth plates.

Moderate weights are fine, but do not do more than you 75% of your 1RM at your age.

Continuous Weight lifting in itself Does not stimulate growth, neither does it stunt it up to a certain age. What you say is amazingly incorrect.

Replying to:

Obviously they lie!!!! they want me to stop growing... I work out in the gym almost twice a day then go home do crunches and drink amino acid vitamins, and sleep well I wish by the end of the year I can be around 5'10 from 5'6 1/2 so I can be more useful in the court....Lat pull downs are effective right? and so are leg press.... I want to jump higher....is it effective as an exercise for the shooting arm to sit down then shoot against the wall with all and catch it as it bounces ( Im doin both left and right handed jumpshots) and it seems that the left is more effective than my dominant hand whats with that?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: is it true what others say?

light weights are aiight, just dont do nut'n that u have to strain yourself to lift... just do light weights many times... instread of heavy weights few times... these guys think there scientist... any type of exercise is good... jusy make sure u CAN do it with ease

Replying to:

Some weights do affect growth, do NOT listen to the guy that responded to you. You are 15, it is mostly ok then. But at younger ages from 12-14(sometimes upto 16 dependin on your maturity), Do NOT use HEAVY weights on excercies such as Bench Press and OL's ... They can injure or create an inbalance in your growth plates.

Moderate weights are fine, but do not do more than you 75% of your 1RM at your age.

Continuous Weight lifting in itself Does not stimulate growth, neither does it stunt it up to a certain age. What you say is amazingly incorrect.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: is it true what others say?

ok, well lifting weights, can stimulate growth, but it also can stunt growth, its really hard to say, but most likely lifting weights by itself won't do much for you to either get your growing taller, or to make you stop growing, and its not neccisarily dangerous, just as long as you do them properly, i have been doing weights, since about 11, and have ad no probelms (i am 16 now)there is only one thing, working out twice a day, and doing crunches also is not neccisarily good, as a matter of fact it is bad, now if you are doing really light weights at high reps (i meen really light, like curling 5 lbs) other then that try not to work the same muscle much 2 days in a row) now for your doing crunches everyday, some say that doing it every day is ok, others say every second day, i personally do ab exercises about 4-5 times a week, but everything in moderation, and remember that while you are lifting weights your muscles don't grow, they grow when they rest, so try not to work the same muscle 2 days in a row (except for abs, some say they are the same as the rest of your muscles, others say they are completely different, nobody has proven it either way, though i am sure someone is going to reply to this saying that either they are, or are not like all other muscles,and saying they are 100% sure, but just to let you know, hardcore bodybuilding pages differ in there oppinions. its really what works for you though

Replying to:

light weights are aiight, just dont do nut'n that u have to strain yourself to lift... just do light weights many times... instread of heavy weights few times... these guys think there scientist... any type of exercise is good... jusy make sure u CAN do it with ease

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to: