ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Emergency window handle of upper saloon

The emergency window handle on the upper saloon is stuck. The screws that hold it won't turn as well. I've tried using screw extractor to get it out, but failed. Then I use a drill bit to drill through it. Now I'm half way through. Yet the handle won't come off. Am I doing anything wrong?

Attached is the photo of the situation

My bus number (if any): RM2470

Re: Emergency window handle of upper saloon

Looks like this may be a result of the 2 dissimilar metals touching for so long they have "joined" I'm guessing this is brass and steel from the colours in the photo. i had a similar issue the other week with one of the steel countersunk bolt that holds down the drivers aluminium footplate to the brackets securing it to the steering column. The reaction between the 2 materials had caused a built up of white oxidation and rust compressed in the joint and would not shift

To "un-join" the steel bolt from the aluminium plate (a heavy hammer didn't work wacking it) i used a gas torch to in my case to heat the bolt till it started glow a dull red and then poured water on it. as I poured water on it i heard a distinct 'tink' noise and the bolt fell out with a powdery mess of what was left of the oxidation.

You could try heating the handle to expand the handle away from the shaft but i'd be very very careful with the heat "overspray" from the gas flame as you will have lots of panels/paint/seats around that could be damaged or worse. I was luckily enough that i could remove it the part that were joined from the bus and work on them away from the bus.

hope this was helful.

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (RCN701)

Re: Emergency window handle of upper saloon

A soaking in plus gas or something similar for a day or so might have been a better approach, now you will have to get the screw right out as it is holding the handle in place. Have you tried taking the exterior handle off? Might be an idea to take out the few screws from the emergency window and take it out and work on it on the bench!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs