ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More Parts Wanted

Hi All

I am posting on here again as RM924 needs some more parts. Any help with locating the following would be great.

1. Diesel Tank in good order
2. Seat cushions and backs for downstairs wheel arch seating (both sides needed)
3. RH hand stair rail for up the stairs to top deck
4. Stair nosing

If any one has got any of the above we can collect.

Many Thanks

Lara

My bus number (if any): RM924

Re: More Parts Wanted

Lara
Hi All

I am posting on here again as RM924 needs some more parts. Any help with locating the following would be great.

1. Diesel Tank in good order
2. Seat cushions and backs for downstairs wheel arch seating (both sides needed)
3. RH hand stair rail for up the stairs to top deck
4. Stair nosing

If any one has got any of the above we can collect.

Many Thanks

Lara

You could post this in a Facebook RM liking page as well as here.
1) diesel tank you can buy new, be about £700 would need some bits of old one
2) You need a pattern to make the board from plywood, then foam to fit and moquette to cover, all available.
3) Try PVS barnsley, there were some, or contact Andy Hayward ex of Routemaster Buses or Rob Duker
4)Stair nosing can be made from stepped pyramid nosing, do a search on here, Rob Duker posted a source of lengths of it.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Hi Lara,
I'll check if I have any bench cushions spare but I think all I have is some of the forward facing cushions in eyes down Marquette and in used condition.

Regards,
Peter.

My bus number (if any): RML 2463 & RML 2460

To be honest used cushions aren't worth bothering with, especially RT cushions. they used the old style Dunlopillo foam base which is highly flammable and produces a lot of toxic black smoke. It also goes very crunchy after about 30 years, but does give that nice vintage bus smell!

It's only worth keeping the wooden seat backs, springs and seat bases. Most of the trim shops will quite happily re-cover and fit new foams.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Lara,
Sorry I have checked, I haven't got any spare RM bench seat cushions.

In regards to you reply Roy, I know what you mean about some old seats smelling and going hard when I've been on some other owners buses.

To clarify the seats I was offering although second hand are still serviceable and would get someone out of trouble till they could get them retrimmed, otherwise I wouldn't offer them to anyone, they would have just gone straight into the skip.

As these are from refurbished RM's I think i'm right in saying they shouldn't go as hard as the old ones but usually the foam breaks up and falls out the bottom of the cushion.

Regards,
Pete.

My bus number (if any): RML 2463 & RML 2460

Hi Lara
I will text but to let you know I do have a set of bench seats in the eyes down RML style but will need cleaning and recovering in parts
staircase hand rails seen at PVS Barnsley in may
fuel tank awaiting on confirmation if we are to get one in next couple of weeks

My bus number (if any): RM1000,RCL2238,RT