ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
auto bypass plug for cab

Does anyone have a spare plug for cab gearbox control unit - the metal cased one for bypassing auto in AEC engined RM? (I know the tree can be rewired for manual but an easier solution would be the plug.) Willing to pay a good price!

My bus number (if any): RM737/875/1353

Re: auto bypass plug for cab

Someone I know is trying to find out the wiring so he can produce some. Rewiring costs about 50p for the bits of wire. I had to do that to our rML when it was non-start in France the other week!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

There wiring diagram is shown in the first RMOOA Compendium of Technical Articles.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Is that available online to members?

Sam Phipps
Does anyone have a spare plug for cab gearbox control unit - the metal cased one for bypassing auto in AEC engined RM? (I know the tree can be rewired for manual but an easier solution would be the plug.) Willing to pay a good price!

Hi Sam, I think the plug you're looking for that bypasses auto is a CAV551, RML2551's owner Steve Griffin had or possibly still has some. I'll see if Steve is on Facebook and if he has any spare plugs I'll text you his number.

My bus number (if any): RMs737, 875 and 1353 (Driver)

CAV 551 is the part number of the control panel, not the plug.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Brian Watkinson
CAV 551 is the part number of the control panel, not the plug.
You're right there Brian. the CAV551 is the control panel for the refurbished RMLs. There's several variants of those depending on what engine is fitted. The AEC/Leyland set-up is different with a different panel number.

In answer to the question from Roy, the Compendium is available to purchase by members or non-members, but is not available to view on-line.

This is the one for originally equipped RMs.

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Thank you for all your suggestions. The tree has now been successfully rewired following a diagram kindly sent by Pete Rogers and forwarded by Martin Detheridge. No more auto (not that I used it much) – and one less thing to wrong, we hope.

My bus number (if any): RM737/875/1353

I can supply these plugs for £25 including postage

My bus number (if any): RM 912