ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interior lights

Hi Gents;
I have only one ide of my interior lights (Refurb, fluro lights) working. I changed the circuit breakers, still nothing, all the wiring is intact as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any adveice please??

My bus number (if any): RML 2353, MB 306, MS 1103

Re: Interior lights

One side only comes on when the alternator is charging on refurbs perhaps put a meter on the batteries and investigate to see if the output increases with the engine running ? - It’s a handy visual check to indicate a possible charging fault

My bus number (if any): RML2747

The near side is the problem, the alternator is charging so I think it’s a wiring problem

There is a small relay in the top of the conductor's box, usually screwed under the top deck floor which should energise when the alternator charges. That went defective on our 2532. It should energise then make contact for one side of lights. You may have to remove the panel over the conductor's head to get to it.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy!

I changed the relay, still nearside interior lights not working, any other suggestions Roy?

Check the connections inside (but might be above or behind!?) the canopy blind box, seen it cause the same problem a few times in the past.

I'll have a look at the wiring diagram. Does the relay have a feed from the alternator field wire when the engine is running? You should have 24v across the coil connections. when the relay energises, it switches 24v from the light switch to the lights. Check 24 v from the switch to the relay.

The alternator feed I think runs under the floor to the rear offside long seat, maybe following the battery cable route then up a bit of trunking inside the saloon to the conductors box.

I think it may be the switch, as I got them to work last night!

Oh good. :)