ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EP Valve

Are Alliance Electronics now of Chesterfield the only or still the best firm for EPV repairs?
RML in Nantes has stripped thread apparently on one inlet or spindle, not sure which.
Or, has anyone got a good one spare?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RML 2667 and several RTs

Re: EP Valve

Hello Brian,

Reading their website Alliance Electronics Ltd seem to be the cats whisker for commercial vehicle parts
repair and remanufacture.

Alliance Electronics Ltd
Unit D
Holbrook Green
Halfway
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S20 3FE
Phone 0114 2477041
Email:- enquiries@allianceelectronics.co.uk

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering. AMIRTE. CPC-HGV

Thanks Michael.... I phoned them and they do remember doing them..however,
.... they do not do many EP valves now, but after a long chase round the Works they found someone who recognised the number. Their reference is EP5 for the CAV 276 A2 type.

Alliance have also moved to Clowne,

The new address is
Alliance Electronics Ltd
The Arc,
High St,
Clowne, Chesterfield
S43 4JY,

Oddly enough I've just helped roy Lane out with EP blocks. I've got several on the shelf that are rebuilt units, but they're for Bristol VRs. The eP valves are the same and one unit has one defective coil. I could strip that snd sell you a replacement valve coil and spindle if that's any help, or you could have the entire block which would give you some spares. the block casting differs to the RM block, the internals are the same.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks Roy, after the last debacle with the suspension pieces that eventually was sorted out, ( thanks for your help with that) I have sent the people in Nantes the details of Alliance.

If these VR EPVs are the same as the RM, can you make some good ones and get them tested?
Are the DMS ones the same as the RMs?

I am not sure what the problem was with this EPV, I gathered that it didn't function properly and they tried to swap spindles (or pipes) and cross threaded one. If we need a block I will keep you in mind.

According to roy Lane the blocks are a slightly different size to the rM but the innards are the same. If they've crossed a thread it should be possible to repair it with one of the thread repair things.

If you've got an old RM unit, I could try to make a good one using the VR bits. I don' know if the DMS ones are the same as RM or VR.

Having a scrap DMS we had a look to see if the EPV is still on it and the same, apparently it is the same as the RM... So we took it off and sent it to Alliance for checking.

Save the gear control panel as well, I understand they're the same as refurb RMs.

There was some discussion several years ago about CAV551 panels which concluded that the Eproms? differed according to which engine is fitted. This was all to do with the different torque curves of the various engines which governed at what speed the various gear changes tak eplace. Certainly in the information I have there is a difference between Cummins and Iveco. I cannot see a Leyland 680, 690, Gardner 6LX, 6LXB or Iveco 836 S11 fitted to a DMS having the same change speed points as an RM.

Maybe not roy, but get the core unit and I'm sure someone like PSV Electircal at Hoddesdon can re-program them to suit whaever engine the bus has.