ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cummins starters again

I know I posted on here in 2011 about cummins starters jamming. It seems endemic with them. A few weeks ago had to move our RML into the workshop for safety check. It started ok.

Got it on the lifts, it refused to start. done the usual, knock pinion back in with a hammer, lots of WD40 to free it up and it was ok. Until yesterday.

Went to start the bus and clunk, nothing. Had to do the usual with long stick and WD40 again. Is the starter just a daft design or is it a known problem on the Cummins conversion? I'm aware that water can drip down the sidewall of the cab and straight onto the electrical connections and can cause problems.

Any more ideas?

My bus number (if any): RML2532