ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LT summer uniform dust jackets

Hi all,

London Transport Uniform

The East London Traction Society is about to place an order with a Uniform manufacturer for plain Grey and Green LT CRS and CB&C ,both men’s and women’s, Drivers and Conductors summer dust Jackets for the late 60’s, 70’s and 80’s period.

Before anyone asks, the pre 65 uniform dust jackets and coats will follow on after Christmas this year depending on the uptake of the current order.

The uniform jackets will come WITHOUT LT plastic buttons although each garment will be made to take them. The cost of having LT buttons made is prohibitive and buyers will have to source their own and the same will apply to the chrome buttons with the pre 65 uniform.

The uniforms are EXACT copies made from unused originals by a reputable manufacturer who only make in bulk. The ELTS are not in the clothing trade and don’t intend to keep these items as stock items, however if the demand warrants we will place further orders in the future. This is our first foray into getting authentic LT uniform made in original cloth and the results of this first venture will decide whether we will continue with getting more manufactured.

SIZES
These are summer weight jackets and if you use your bus in the spring and autumn remember that you will probably want to wear a jumper underneath the jacket so work out your size taking this into account. The probable price per garment will be between £20-£30 and further details will be posted on the sites as soon as they are available. To ensure we keep the costs to a minimum we need to know your jacket size in traditional inches ie 38, 42, 46, 52 etc for men and 10, 12, 16 etc for women. Men, if you are unsure of your size please ask your wife, partner if they usually buy your clothes for you

Your jacket size is the only thing we need to know at the moment so that we are able to place the bulk order in the quantities that will have to be supplied so please email me your size on claire74880 @ ntlworld.com (remove the spaces each side of the @) or phone me on 07851 105 168

DO NOT ORDER YET PLEASE

Regards

Claire Green (ELTS)

My bus number (if any): BL49 / RML2330

Re: LT summer uniform dust jackets

Thnaks Claire. Please could you explain what the terms CRS and CB&C mean? I would like some jackets for the crews of red liveried RM471 & 2213, probably a total of about six. Would your proposed jackets be appropriate?

Do you know of a web link to a photo of the jackets?

If so I'd be pleased to put a short illustrated notice on the ROOF website.

Thanks again for this information and offering to get this work done.

Chris Dobbing from the top deck of RM471 at a warm sunny Glastonbury ....so far.

My bus number (if any): RM471 & RM2213

Hiya

CRS Central buses (Red buses)

CB&C Country Bus and Coach (Green buses)

Yep perfect for RM's and anything used by LT in the late 60's, 70's, 80's to 1986(last issue) and beyond to about 1993

Claire

Hiya

I will be away from the puter until 22.00 Friday so don’t worry if you don’t get an immediate response from me.

Claire

UPDATE 1 7 08

EAST LONDON TRACTION SOCIETY
(ESTABLISHED 1968)
FOR THE PRESERVATION OF HISTORIC COMMERCIAL VEHICLES

1st July 2008

London Transport Uniform

Hiya all

Because of the great interest shown in the new uniforms I have been able to arrange with the Manufacturer for them to take over the order and supply process as the quantities now being expected will be far too many for me to process, so this now means that as soon as the first samples are made and I have been to the factory (end of next week) and seen and tried them I will post the manufacturers details along with details of how to order and pay on the various sites and will email all those that have contacted me as well.

All things being equal the ordering process will start in about 3 weeks time

Each order will be made for the individual ordering and a ‘easy to complete’ size measurement form will need to be completed and sent along with your order to the factory who will then make your garment(s) to fit you. Should there be any queries regarding size etc the factory will contact you direct and from now apart from organising and liasing with the manufacturer to ensure the garments are exactly as they should be I will be taking a back seat.

Having said that, now as the process has been simplified, from my point of view, I will be taking the original Pre 65 uniform dust coats and jackets to the factory at the end of next week and providing the suitable cloths can be obtained the pre 65 uniform will, hopefully, available for you to order direct from the manufacturer around September.

I have managed to locate and am in the process of negotiating to buy a quantity of Chrome Buttons that are ‘old stock’ and may/will need cleaning. These, if I’m able to get them, will go to the factory to be included with the orders for as long as the buttons last, so hopefully the ebay fortune sellers won’t get a look in on this one and we’ll all benefit. But don’t forget the uniforms come without buttons and any that are included will be a free extra and not part of the price that you will have to pay for your uniform.

Timescales:

Post 69 expected to be ready to order end of July

Pre 65 expected to be ready to order in September

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or queries.

Regards

Claire Green

EAST LONDON TRACTION SOCIETY
(ESTABLISHED 1968)
FOR THE PRESERVATION OF HISTORIC COMMERCIAL VEHICLES

16th July 2008

London Transport Uniform

Hiya all

Just returned from the visit to the Uniform makers and the news is all good.

Every thing is all on track and the last thing to do is the trial order via the factory order/manufacturing/dispatch system. This was started of yesterday and will take approx two weeks from the order, being sent in using the ‘self measurement form to the finished garment(s) being dispatched to me. In this case when the jackets are ready to send I’ll go to the factory to check and ensure every thing is exactly as it should be and then the order system will go live and all the details will be posted on the three sites so that every one that want to order can do so. Ordering/payment will be direct to the factory not via me and I hope to have both the Grey and Green jackets with me and available for inspection at Worcester Park on the 10th

To enable the factory to differentiate between garments the following codes have been adopted:

LT70M GR Men’s country bus green
LT70M GY Men’s central bus grey
LT70W GR Women’s country bus green
LT70W GY Women’s central bus grey

The pre 65 uniform is now with the factory and I’m told that these, both Central and Country, won’t be a problem and after the patterns have been cut and the same trial order system gone through they too will be available, probably around mid September.

I have also been able to buy a large quantity of ‘Chrome buttons’ which although never used or issued have been hanging around for over 40 years so I am expecting that they will need at least cleaning or worse corroded. I am due to collect them on Thursday this week and once I have had a look at them I’ll be able to let you all know what state they’re in. Hopefully most will be useable and these will be available from me at cost plus p+p unless collected on the running days that I go on.

LT70M jackets need 2 buttons and LT70W need 4 buttons. In an ideal world these would be black plastic but at the moment we have none of these so chrome buttons are a suitable replacement as most of us changed the black for chrome buttons when the grey uniform was first issued .

Claire

Hi all

This is an update regarding LT Chrome (Silver) buttons.

The ELTS now has a supply of the Chrome uniform buttons which are reserved for those that buy the Heritage Uniform and need them.

They are not for general sale nor will they appear on Ebay or other auction sites.

Regards

Claire

UPDATE 8th August,

Hi all,

I'm due to go to the factory on Monday 11th to see and check the pre production jackets. Assuming all things are ok and production can start immediately, the order and production system will, hopefully, go live at some stage next week.

Whatever happens I will give everyone the info and result of my visit via the usual 3 web sites next week as soon as I get back, probably either Tuesday evening or Wednesday day time.

Regards

Claire

UPDATE 15th August

Having examined the LT70 pre-production jacket I can say that they are not ‘Replica jackets’ they are a continuation of the previous production run albeit, by a different manufacturer.

There is absolutely no difference whatever between the original garment and the current one. Over the years the manufacturing process for work type garments has changed to take account of new technology. The new one has been made using the old style and way of manufacture (Labour Intensive) and all subsequent ones will me made using the same ‘Old Style’ manufacturing process.

Everything is now ready to start and the only answers I need before it can all ‘go live’ is the price and deposit details and the name that the garments will be sold under. As soon as I have these from the supplier it’s all systems go.

For those that want the Pre-65 uniform (Now called LT60) the patterns are being made as I write this and the only problem so far is sourcing the correct weave and style of Cotton Cloth, More on this as soon as I know more.

Regards

Claire

Hi,

Does anyone know if these jackets are still available?

My bus number (if any): N/A

Having purchased one of the LT 70 type before, I can say that they are good stuff, look the part. Why spent hundreds (or thousands),plus loads of hard work restoring the vehicle and not pay attention to the look of the Crew. Buttons should be out there, either the silver ones, grey ones with the Griffin on, or just plain grey. My only suggestion is to have a button hole on both lapels to hold LT badge and PSV badge. PS, was anyone in Romford last Saturday, have not heard so many Leyland RM's in years.

My bus number (if any): With Bob's RT 1702

Hi I'm hoping to purchase LT male dust jacket to wear on my bus I'm also looking to get a driver's hat if you can lead me in the right direction for this I would be most grateful.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Nerina.

My bus number (if any): Routemaster 1063

Ebay is good for hats, summer hat on there now. Coats not so easy, haven't heard from Claire Green in ages.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1485 and several RTs

I've had a pattern and a sample made up to make/sell LT dust Jackets. altho I'm having trouble finding a reasonable priced company or person to make them to order.

billy
I've had a pattern and a sample made up to make/sell LT dust Jackets. although I'm having trouble finding a reasonable priced company or person to make them to order.

How about Uniform Express Billy, I order my white pilot shirts from them?

http://www.uniformexpress.co.uk/

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

Sorry to post this but Claire is believed to be very ill . A lot of Claire's stuff has been recently cleared away from our bus shed where she rented space by people acting on her behalf . Prob best not to contact Claire about the uniforms as I doubt you'll get replies now .
Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Hi

Thanks for that message, sad to hear that Clare is not well!

Do you know of any of the people who are acting on her behalf, or someone who would be able to help with these LT just jackets?

sorry afraid I don't have any contact details

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Billy
Those jackets/coats were ordered 7 years ago. In order to get a reasonable price, like for the moquette you need to order a lot. With uniforms that is difficult due to size variations. I have not heard from Claire since 2013 I know she has run down her bus interests and sold her buses and parts and was last doing model railways.

For a tailor you need a uniform or protective clothing supplier, To get one or two jackets try contacting the London Bus Museum, or post on the Routemaster Association pages, or keep an eye out on E bay, they do come up from time to time.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1458 and several RTs