Blair's Columbia 26 Forum

none

Blair's Columbia 26 Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
COLUMBIA26 OUTBOARD

PURCHASED 8 HP HONDA 4 STROKE. APPEARS TO BE TOO BIG O MOUNT OFF STERN BECAUSE OF INTERFERING WITH RUDDER. ALSO WEIGHT MAY SEEM TO BE FACTOR HANGING OFF BACK OF BOAT..ANY THOUGHTS

Re: COLUMBIA26 OUTBOARD

only one way to find out. mount that sucker and see.ha ha

i dont know where your transom mount is bout mine is off to the port side and i have a 9.9 4stroke suzuki on mine i could use a bigger mount but it holds it my advice is put it to the port side if its not i cant see your motor being heaver or bigger than mine that suckers huge

Why not use the motor-well? Transom mount puts much too much wight aft.

Re: Re: COLUMBIA 26 OUTBOARD

No way will your motor fit into the well. Measure from the fixed part of the clamp to the back of the motor housing; you have about 14" clearance to the interior of the transom. The previous owner of my boat cut away some 'glass and strffed an old Chrysler 9/15HP smoke machine in.; I am researching to replace it with an electric moter and find it can be done for about $1500 as a new power head on the outboard, or as an inboard, excluding installation costs, more batteries and a 48vt charger.

Re: Re: Re: COLUMBIA 26 OUTBOARD

So did you pursue the electric motor? It's a great idea who's time has come! If you did/are doing it, can you give an update? If you decided against it, was there some huge obstacle?

Thank you,

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: COLUMBIA 26 OUTBOARD

Got little use of my boat this year- sailed on everybody elses though.

Still thinking of the conversion for spring- hope prices drop a little by then since the techonology will be less new. A 4.5 KW perminant magnet brushless motor should do the trick. Since I hope to do little motoring, I may go with 36 volts to see if its enough.

I have mine mounted in the center and it only interferes with the rudder if I have the transom lowered too low. Then again mine is only a 5hp.