Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baker vs Chokley Debate

After watching the debate last night, looks like Baker is a shoe-in for the governorship.

Re: Baker vs Chokley Debate

Hope she is shown the way to civilian life and the private sector!

I voted for Berwick in the primary and have always supported Democratic candidates in statewide elections.
The final debate is tonight on WCVB. Martha Coakley is just an awful candidate! She may be a pretty good Attorney General and would be even OK as Gov. but she is a terrible candidate.....why she lost to Brown and will loose to Baker. I will either hold my nose and vote for her or may end of voting for Baker. Undecided which for me is highly unusual.

Democratic Dilemma
I voted for Berwick in the primary and have always supported Democratic candidates in statewide elections.
The final debate is tonight on WCVB. Martha Coakley is just an awful candidate! She may be a pretty good Attorney General and would be even OK as Gov. but she is a terrible candidate.....why she lost to Brown and will loose to Baker. I will either hold my nose and vote for her or may end of voting for Baker. Undecided which for me is highly unusual.

Calls her an awful candidate and admits she's going to lose to baker, yet still will vote for her. This is the problem with the Democratic party. You idiots vote on the letter in front of the name instead of the candidates policies and politics. Typical Democrat. And because of this style of voting by the donkey party, women vote for women, blacks for blacks and so on and so on. Look at Brown vs Warren, looking back on it, do we REALLY believe Warren was a better choice? They did a nation wide study that showed Brown would have won in all 49 other states. Shows what a mess ours is. I think Charlie Baker would/will make a fantastic Governor. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I doubt it. Intelligent, social, appears to be honest, family man, etc. I like what I'm seeing from this man.

Why?

That's easy:

"The Amirault Family". Coakley ruined an entire family, for political gain, and she would not let go even when it became clear they were innocent.

Independent
Democratic Dilemma

Calls her an awful candidate and admits she's going to lose to baker, yet still will vote for her. This is the problem with the Democratic party. You idiots vote on the letter in front of the name instead of the candidates policies and politics. Typical Democrat. And because of this style of voting by the donkey party, women vote for women, blacks for blacks and so on and so on. Look at Brown vs Warren, looking back on it, do we REALLY believe Warren was a better choice? They did a nation wide study that showed Brown would have won in all 49 other states. Shows what a mess ours is. I think Charlie Baker would/will make a fantastic Governor. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I doubt it. Intelligent, social, appears to be honest, family man, etc. I like what I'm seeing from this man.

If you read what I wrote. I ended my post with saying I was undecided. I stated I might end up voting for Baker. I don't appreciate being called an idiot or your sweeping generalizations about women and minorities.
P. S. Warren was by far a better candidate than Brown and Elizabeth Warren is great for Massachusetts! By the way, I am a male voter.

"If you read what I wrote. I ended my post with saying I was undecided. I stated I might end up voting for Baker. I don't appreciate being called an idiot or your sweeping generalizations about women and minorities.
P. S. Warren was by far a better candidate than Brown and Elizabeth Warren is great for Massachusetts!"

She is an awful Senator, and has zero clue what she is doing. She only got elected because of the loony voters in this state. And my theories on blacks and women are true, the polls say it all. they' re not "sweeping generalizations."

Yes you did end your post saying "undecided" after you called coakley a terrible candidate. What is there to be undecided about? Baker = much needed change around the commonwealth. Coakley = same old politics that are sinking our state.

To back independent's statement. I worked the poles in Melrose for years and never did I see so many little old ladies in wheelchairs and walkers in my life. A lot of this was the Democratic party saying that is you voted for Brown you would loose your insurance or social security.

If you worked the "poles" for years I think you'd have at least learned how to spell it.

A prior poster is right - ask Cheryl LaFave what she thinks of Coakley. I wouldn't vote for her for dogcatcher.

Ya, right
A prior poster is right - ask Cheryl LaFave what she thinks of Coakley. I wouldn't vote for her for dogcatcher.

I think Coakley refused to release or submit the necessary paperwork to release Amirault. She intentionally withheld information because it would hurt her chances for advancing her career and Gerald Amirault paid the price. What a sick, sick human being.

It will be Baker by 10 points. When democrats picked Coakley as their candidate they handed the keys to the office over to Baker. She never had a chance.

As of the time posted, and assuming I counted correctly

Baker 6
Coakley 0
Undecided 1

Stay tuned for updates.

Put be down for Martha. Dad always said, forget the names, just pull all the Democrat levers and you're done.

Put me down for 1 vote to Baker.

I'd like to cancel out Democrat Voter's vote.

Now wait just a minute here. I just did some math and although Martha is a few years younger than I, she is well within the Woodstock era. And she’s claiming that she has a “Potless” history?

I think not.

I guess it had to happen before I died. I will indeed (gulp!) vote Republican. The Amirault case trumps everything. I've always hoped that someday I could show that!

I wondered why Baker didn't bring this up, and then realized that it probably would just further traumatize the poor kids, who weren't victimized by the Amiraults, but by the Malden Police and the Middlesex DA's office, and especially by that "expert" Kelly who "interviewed" them. Coakley should be absolutely ashamed of the part she played in this travesty, and the fact that she to this day maintains that the convictions were "just" is a glimpse into her real character. Don't go away mad, Martha, just go away. Baker it is.

Ya, right
I wondered why Baker didn't bring this up, and then realized that it probably would just further traumatize the poor kids, who weren't victimized by the Amiraults, but by the Malden Police and the Middlesex DA's office, and especially by that "expert" Kelly who "interviewed" them. Coakley should be absolutely ashamed of the part she played in this travesty, and the fact that she to this day maintains that the convictions were "just" is a glimpse into her real character. Don't go away mad, Martha, just go away. Baker it is.

If the Baker campaign wants to wrap this up they could do so easily by getting the tapes of the children's interviews and playing them on TV all day, on Monday.

I'm Martha Chokley, and I approve this message.

It suppose, but at what cost to the poor kids who had to live through this nightmare? I give him props for having the decency not to. It won't help the Amiraults, whose convictions have never been thrown out, thanks to Coakley. She's a disgrace.

Agreed.

Again I’m with Willie on this one. Although this will be my third time voting for a republican. I voted for Bill Weld against Silber (and I still remember that debate as being one of the most intellectual debates this commonwealth has ever witnessed) Scott Brown against Martha and now Charlie Baker against Martha.

There are plenty of us Dems who can’t stand her and the Fells Acre tragedy isn’t lost on those of us who remember and were horrified by what happened.
I’ve searched everywhere online to see if there has been any mention of the Fells Acre connection to Coakley and this op ed piece written by Mark Zinan for the Metro West Daily News should give everyone pause. A very courageous commentary:

Posted Feb. 1, 2014 @ 8:54 am

"Massachusetts has numerous candidates in this year's gubernatorial race. And the most likely candidate to emerge from the crowded field is subject of my political morality tale. This tale encompasses three decades and focuses on our three most recent Attorneys General.

So we begin this political tale with a question.

What five common bonds do Attorney General (AG) Martha Coakley and former AGs Tom Reilly and Scott Harshbarger share?

One; they are and were all Massachusetts AGs. Two; all three utilized their Middlesex County District Attorney's position as a stepping stone to the AG position. Three; once elected AG, they all chose to run for governor. Four; for almost three decades they prosecuted and persecuted the same innocent family. And five; when the truth finally emerged all three continued to refuse to acknowledge this gross miscarriage of justice and forced the family to remain imprisoned.

Specifically, I am referring to the Fells Acre Day Care Center case. One of the many cases that resulted from the 1980s USA child abuse mass hysteria. This hysteria led to numerous false imprisonments across the country. Eventually, the false convictions were recognized and mitigated except for the Amirault Family of Malden, Mass.

Eventually, in 2001 the Massachusetts Parole Board voted unanimously to commute Gerald Amirault's sentence. He was the last family member still in prison. The Parole Board, in a highly unusual move, even questioned the validity of the prosecution's case. While Martha Coakley was not involved with the initial Amirault family prosecution, Dorothy Rabinowitz, in her Pulitzer Prize-winning research for the Wall Street Journal, documents that as district attorney Coakley helped convince Gov. Jane Swift not to approve the commutation. Unfortunately, Gov. Swift was also concerned with the potential political backlash of approving the Parole Board's recommendation.
The good news is that Gerald Amirault, after over 17 years in jail, was eventually paroled in 2003. The bad news is the Middlesex County District Attorney's Office placed extremely onerous and restrictive parole conditions. Gerald Amirault is half a free man with the threat of renewed jail time for being around children and the possible perception of improper behavior around children.

I see two moral or ethical lessons from this tragic case. The first is the continuing inability of the political ambitious and powerful to admit to a mistake. We do live in difficult media age where politicians are instantaneously crucified on Facebook, Twitter, political blogs, entertainment channels, and the 24/7 cable TV media. Underneath the criticisms, I do believe people are forgiving and would appreciate political honesty. Well, hopeful, anyhow.

Secondly, the more frightening aspect of this tale is wholesale power we entrust to any one individual, especially when it comes to criminal prosecution, providing almost unlimited taxpayer-funded resources and authority shielded behind an elective office. The individual thus comes to symbolize or becomes the state apparatus. True, nationally and in every state, this particular case that is such an egregious example.

I do not expect anybody to change their vote based on this one example. Party partisanship will win out over individual conscience. I just think it would be a great day for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts if Scott Harshbarger, Tom Reilly, and Martha Coakley could step away from the power and hubris, admit a mistake, and thus fully free the Amirault family. If they could perform that action, I might even vote for one of them.

MARK ZINAN"

Baker ahead, "but not by much" per the pollsters.

I can't believe there are that many who do not know about or understand the Amirault factor.

It is because many only care about the BIG "D" next to the name. That's it. Nothing else matters.

Hmmmm.... I think you can get alphabet stickers in the stationary section of any CVS store and then we could....