Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BOA Election

Has anyone heard who has pulled papers in the BOA race? Hopefully, all candidates will have opposition in order to have a debate about the numerous and complicated issues currently facing Melrose. And hopefully we can get some new energy and perspectives.

Re: BOA Election

I honestly doubt we will have newcomers into all these races - maybe for some of them - but few of them - sadly. Most of the current batch of alderman have local businesses or business connections so they all have a committed base to vote them in. I can see how difficult it is for someone who has a job they need to travel outside the city for - and then try to be an Alderman dealing with all local issues and meet regularly with your constituents . It is certainly easier if you own a business in Melrose or work from home - which is typical of the current bunch.

Pulling Papers
Has anyone heard who has pulled papers in the BOA race? Hopefully, all candidates will have opposition in order to have a debate about the numerous and complicated issues currently facing Melrose. And hopefully we can get some new energy and perspectives.

Monika McNight is challenging GI for the Ward 5 BOA Seat. Who is she and what are her priorities and issues?

Melrose Diner customers talking about McNight today. She lives on Wyoming and is tired of the neglect. She is challenging Gail and the City to pay attention and clean up her street.

I wish there would be a turnover of the whole bunch. Glad Monika is throwing down.

Ward 5 Challenger
Melrose Diner customers talking about McNight today. She lives on Wyoming and is tired of the neglect. She is challenging Gail and the City to pay attention and clean up her street.

I think what you meant to say was that McNight is tired of the Mayor and alderman neglecting the entire Wyoming area, which is true. Unfortunately, many of those rental property owners on Wyoming Street give generously to the Dolan campaign and thus are able to insulate themselves from enforcement by police, Building Department, etc. It is to the point where there should be a police substation right in the middle of Wyoming St. to calm down the criminal element there.