Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Melrose Rated #1 at Realtor.com for the Hotest Zip Code in America

Did you read in today's Boston Globe that Melrose is now rated #1 in the top 10 communities as the hotest zip codes in America? Yes - you heard it!

This is from Realtor.con data based on how fast houses are sold and how frequently listing are viewed. It is interesting that they interviewed several people for this piece and one of them noted that people from Malden or Medford find housing in Melrose but then when they can - move on to Wakefield or Winchester! Wakefield dowmtown is a disaster!

One person even noted that Melrose could be just as good as Winchester if the schools were improved. This article needs to be sent to the Mayor and school committee!

Re: Melrose Rated #1 at Realtor.com for the Hotest Zip Code in America

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/08/13/melrose-tops-list-hottest-zip-codes/v6XEY9DeYSjnpQLAIBWmvJ/story.html
""Yes, Melrose, that overlooked little suburb with a quaint downtown, where the big event of the year is the annual Victorian Fair....“I consider it a stepping-stone to Wakefield,” sniffed Ronnie Puzon of Re/Max Trinity realty in Malden, who added that Melrose’s role in life is to serve as a way station to a better address: First you buy in Malden or Medford, then you move to Melrose, and ultimately, if you do well, you end up in Wakefield or Winchester....There’s no way that Melrose is more attractive than Arlington,” joked Town Manager Adam Chapdelaine, who bragged that Arlington’s restaurant scene “blows away” Melrose’s....it’s no Somerville, which boasts a lively bar and dining scene and a hip culture right out of an episode of “Portlandia.” ...True, there isn’t much nightlife. “Things shut down pretty early,” Mazor-Garfinkle acknowledged....number nine: Fargo, N.D. ...“I think Melrose is just as beautiful as extremely pricey Winchester,” said three-year resident Susan Samuelson. “If the schools improve even more than they are at, I think we are the next Winchester.”"

Well, there's no accounting for taste. As for schools "than they are at," clearly they interviewed a local enthusiast with about as much understanding of education (and grammar) as the superintendent and her crack leadership team. The "next Winchester" indeed! Maybe Melrose should just forget about an override for the schools (which it won't improve anyway with all the fluff and bogus crap within) and just go for opening some lively bars. We don't want to end up as #9 like Fargo, after all!

healthyoutrage08/13/15 07:42 AM
realtor.com is in dire need of revising its system of rankings. "The most desirable spot in the country"?!??!? Good grief. As a longtime resident of this city, I can tell you it is certainly not "idyllic" - the downtown may be "quaint" and the Victorian Fair may be the "big event"... but the city, like many others, has its issues. It's noisy, motorists speed on the streets, ignore stop signs and traffic lights, the streets need lots of work, and water bills keep getting higher and higher and higher.... A city, any city, is only as livable as the behavior of its citizens and the people in government who make the decisions. Melrose realtors must be drooling over this report - just another excuse for them to jack up the already-sky-high asking prices of homes. Check yesterday's prices, with those of today or next week.... It's likely you'll see a difference....

DrDanny08/13/15 09:36 AM
Class snobbery on parade.

Chrissie7808/13/15 09:04 AM
Not sure why the realtor had to insult other towns...Melrose is not very different from Medford and Malden (where his office is located)...he may just lose a few listings over his condescending attitude. This is a fairly random list...be happy, but don't be rude.

salemreader08/13/15 07:33 AM
Nice job pimping Melrose. Now, if it wasn't just an advertisement for realtors, it would be better.

"The index scores all ZIPs with 14+ active listings and ranks them on the basis of realtor.com listing views (to assess demand) and median age of inventory (to assess supply)."

I don't know what these people are smoking, but I want some. On second thought, they probably all have medical marijuana cards. "Strong schools?" Okay. If the realtors say so, it must be true, right?

Re: Melrose Rated #1 at Realtor.com for the Hottest Zip Code in America

Brigid and Linda O have obviously been hard at work peddling the BS. "Quaint"! The chronically inebriated top dog on that 2nd Floor with his filthy mouth--sure, he's really "quaint"! My water bill (that's far higher than comparable communities) is super quaint. Sure, civil rights violations against kids that lead to federal investigations in the schools are really quaint. A bunch of buffoon elected and hired officials thumbing their noses at public records laws and conspiring to hide huge legal bills are super quaint. So are the vomiting kids staggering out of the woods and filling the local ER with alcohol poisoning cases. Those schools, wow, just a few notches away from Winchester. Yeah, right! Maybe Fargo isn't such a bad idea!

Come on, folks. Let's not knock Fargo!

Who's Linda O? Is she the ginger who looks like she got hit multiple times with a sledgehammer?

No - she is the attractive, vibrant, intelligent, and compassionate one, scuzbag!

Jeez - get a new ophthalmologist.

Haters will always HATE

How much did Peg and Linda cough up for this paid advertising?

Yes, Linda's the one that looks like she got nailed with a sledgehammer. She's so compassionate she's willing to help cover up the cities youth drug and alcohol problem even though her son was either shot or stabbed at an underage boozebash several years back. Can't lose those valuable listings!

Only this site would turn this article into some sort of local real estate conspiracy and make it a negative thing. You are all amazing. Why do you even live here if it you think that the town is so bad?

For what it is worth, the article is derived from the national Realtor.com website article. I don't think anyone in Melrose had anything to do with it.

http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/top-10-hottest-zip-codes-in-america/

Forget Beverly Hills’ 90210. You want hot? Scalding hot? Housing market hot? The ZIP codes 02176 (Melrose, MA), 43085 (Worthington, OH), and 58103 (Fargo, ND) are where it’s at today, according to an exclusive analysis by our economic data team that resulted in a list of the top 10 hottest ZIPs in the United States.

Homes in these top 10 communities sell four to nine times faster than the national average, and spend 20 fewer days on the market than their respective metropolitan statistical areas. Their listings on our site are viewed three to eight times more often than overall U.S. listings—an average of 2.3 times more often than their respective metros.

“Each locale on this list is emblematic of the key trends driving housing this year—healthy local economics, job opportunities, and affordability,” said Jonathan Smoke, chief economist of realtor.com®. “For first-time home buyers, these communities provide great opportunities to enter the housing market, build a career, and raise a family; older generations are able to build wealth and enjoy a variety of lifestyles.”

Jobs >> money >> home buying

Income and employment drive the strong housing markets in these ZIP codes. The median household income among the top 10 is $71,000, 20% higher than their surrounding metropolitan areas and 32% higher than the national average of $54,000. Moreover, 32% of those households earn $100,000 or more, 22% higher than their respective markets and one-third higher than the national average of 23%. In addition, unemployment rates in these metros have dropped five times faster than in other metros in the country in just the past year.

Where millennials can get a foot in the door

Each of the neighborhoods on this list should be attractive to millennials considering a home purchase. The median income of 25- to 34-year-olds in these ZIP codes is 26% higher than their respective metros, and 50% higher than the national average. Novi, MI; the St. Louis suburb of Crestwood, MO; and the Columbus suburb of Worthington, OH, rank high in affordability, with the median household able to afford 60% to 70% of the homes on the market.

“Choosing a neighborhood to call home is not just a product of economic factors; it’s an intensely personal decision,” Smoke said. “Noneconomic ‘it factors’ such as strong school systems, short commutes, and access to public transportation, as well as close proximity to shopping and restaurants, also play an integral role in each market’s popularity.”

1. 02176 – Melrose, MA

Welcome to the hottest ZIP code in the U.S.! Close to both Boston and Cambridge, Melrose has become a magnet for young professionals and families due to its relative affordability, access to public transportation, and attractive downtown area. The median income for households headed by 25- to 34-year-olds is $88,000—67% higher than for the average millennial in the U.S.

Chelsea with trees.[8-)]

This blog of complainers whiners and misarable slobs, is just comical.. If melrose is that bad sell your homes make some money and go,just go away you slobs...o wait you probably can't leave... Because your stuck in a lease!!! Its nobody else's fault you didn't purchase a house, now upset.... It's ok because I did and yes the value has increased... In return we are happy! not poor misarsble slobs.... Keep complaining if that's what helps you get threw your misery... While others enjoy melrose. And are happy we're not in towns like Malden, saugas Lynn and the list can go on.... But feel free to go nobody is stopping you...poor slobs...

That's great if the value of my home goes up Even more..My fellow melrosian you are a moron.....sell your home and go complain on another city's board... I mean what do u want it to say the least desirable city.. You fruitloop!! So u dont want the value of ur home to go up? makes sense..... Come to the conclusion this really is a great city or move... No one is stopping you but yourself....bye moron...

Two more barely literate Melrosians heard from. MHS graduates, no doubt.

What a brutal day for the Melrose Bozo Brigade. The largest national web based real estate organization in the world uses statistical data based on website visits, sale prices and days on the market to determine 02176 is the hottest real estate market in the country. Hide the razor blades & rope,lock the garages and put away the hoses. The Boston Globe then writes all kinds of nice things about Melrose and praises the school system. Suicide watch alert for those wearing big feet, red noses, and barrel suspenders is in effect for the next 72 hours. King bozo MFD then waddles over to his keyboard and tries to use the article to take a swipe at the schools. Then the conspiracy theorists pile on. Out comes the objections in the form of red faced angry clowns honking their noses in protest. What a pack of mewling cowardly losers. Interestingly we learned this month that the Mayor has no opposition, and the new aldermanic savior for this crowd, cuckoo Bird, has elected not to run. The Melrose Clown Patrol is a complete joke and the laughing stock of the community. This string proves it as well as anything. You should all pile in your little clown car and drive straight to Realtor.com and tell them they have been bamboozled and their website hacked in the greatest conspiracy to ever hit the national real estate market. HA HA HA HA HA. Eat your hearts out losers. Melrose #1. Boo Yah!

Interesting the gloating that takes place here over the stupidest things. Clown person jumps all over with new proof that Melrose is great in all things. Guess everything here can only be black or white. Melrose has to be Number 1 in everything. People who disagree are clowns, or worse.

FWIW - there is no shame in being good at some things and bad at others. The only shame is not trying to improve the things you're bad at.

BTW - Clown shows no balls attacking MFD. MFD is an honorable guy - he speaks his mind - says some good things about Melrose and says some things aren't good. His varied opinion is far more likely to be true than the people who say all is bad or all is good.

2cents

Camper, God's gift of humility isn't found in Melrose today.

Civility is one of the first casualties of fast growth.

True and dignified reply.

Clown poster is just VuvuRedux, cackling especially loudly, feeling quite cocky and showing more of true colors. Really pathetic.

The Melrose Community page on FB has a long string about this Globe article.

" I work with a realtor who happens to be a close friend and he himself said that the realtor referred to in the article NEVER has closed on a home in Melrose... I agree above, I would think they would actually use someone that is familiar with Melrose."

"hopefully this reporter had a 3 hour deadline... Because I would think you'd speak to a realtor who sells in the town you're reporting on? You know... To get actual facts? Because that's what journalism is supposed to be about..."

"Well, maybe this will encourage people to buy in Wakefield and Arlington instead. Then next spring when I try to buy here (again) it won't be a total feeding frenzy like it was this spring. Fancy pants melrose"

"It will burst. I suspect people are getting into debt way over their heads. We just decided to stop playing the game for now."

"Melrose is a great city to live in, great neighborhoods, great events that promote community, but if you want your child to attend school with their neighbors, at the closest school to your home, it may not happen. And there is nothing you can do about it."

" I second the "not so outstanding school system comment". Too much smoke and mirrors/rainbows and unicorns rhetoric used to make everyone believe that it is soooooo outstanding. It's p.r. to me.
But I know education, like politics, looks very different to different people. So just my opinion on that particular 'IT' factor not being one for me at all. All of mine are going to private this year."

"Maureen Buzby Well run city. Example: our roads were kept clear of snow all winter. DPW was terrific! Check out all the people who walk the high school track down near Pine Banks. Visit on a Thursday evening and see how vibrant down town Melrose is. Another wonderful city building _ Memorial Hall"

"Kathryn Taylor Fisher-Rubbins Susanne - I have to disagree with you on the school statement. We love the Melrose Public Schools. I have three very different children and they have all thrived in the city schools. To each his own. That being said - you get out of your community what you put into it. Melrose is a great city. And Laura is right - the MSO is amazing. And to think they are a volunteer orchestra. I suggest speaking to Ann Ahern or Bert Whittier - some of our wonderful educators. You might also want to try Nancy or Bob Savarino."

"Linda O'Koniewski I have a working theory about why Melrose is incredibly special. In the 1950's, Life Magazine named Melrose The Victorian City. We treasure our old homes (new construction in Melrose is anything built after World War II). Many people in this town move to Melrose and purchase a project -- a home that needs fixing. They bring that same "can do" problem-solving attitude to the schools and local organizations. That spirit of making things better is contagious. I can't tell you the number of people I've seen who tackled tired, (heck, exhausted) homes and went on to be PTO President, dive into politics or throw themselves into a vibrant community project. We attract people who optimistically dream about improving their home, but these are the same people who are hard-wired to make everything around them better. Thus our neighborhoods and Melrose-at-large benefit. And who wins? We all do because that is where deep friendships are forged that get us through the heartache and celebrations that come our way."

"Josh Chace Melrose has one good restaurant. The others are ok but not on par with what you'd find in Somerville Cambridge or nearby.
The best thing Melrose has going for it is proximity to other hip towns and the highway/commuter rail. It's really an overpriced Smalltown USA. When you look at house pricing here it's WAY overblown. Hell most houses barely have any yard space so when the people say that it's a stepping stone for Wakefield or Winchester, they're right. The school systems here are a mess. They're getting better but they're in disarray and have hard times retaining staff. The price for utilities here is exceptionally high. All because articles like this keep calling Melrose "the place to be". I don't get it.
Pretty soon Melrose's head will get so big it will start pricing families and the small business owners it loves so much, right out of town."

"Kelly Bossert Hourigan Remember all this gushing when the override comes to a vote. We need to keep putting money into Melrose to keep it vibrant and a desirable place for people to stay."

"Kay Beth Sorry Kelly, this is not why we need to pass the override. Cheers and Mayberry are one aspect of what we gush about. There is plenty not to gush about.
This list is based on who clicked the real estate button the most. Melrose has a smoke and mirrors image they keep up very well. So it makes people curious to see what it's about.
Melrose also has very very nosey neighbors and people who constantly check the real estate even though they themselves are not looking. You know who I am talking about and you know its true. I myself clicked away two years after I purchased here just to see if I missed out on a better deal or house.
So no, this doesn't equate to an addition 2 1/2 % for life coming out of my income.

Kay Beth Kathryn, incorrect on Harvard. 0 Zero Harvard acceptances. 1 Brown, 1 Yale, 1 naval, 2 tufts. This does not make a strong school system. These are the one or two genius/highly capable kids at our school at any given year. I need more than just the anomaly student to pin my trust on. Also, there are more accurate spreadsheets at the Ed dept that list how many applied to each school and to which schools and then how many were accepted. Much more telling. Also no way of knowing if the same valedictorian student of 2015 got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Brown and Tufts, thus taking the "1" slot listed for acceptance.
This is the smoke and mirrors that I wish people would stop using and be more real about what's going on in the schools."

Speaking of not Being Real:

"Martha Grover There were two stories about Melrose in the Globe this week. The other is about the override proposal on the November ballot. For those of you interested in continuing the great progress made in our city and schools in recent years and preventing a backslide as state and federal funds decrease but our expectations increase, REGISTER TO VOTE, get involved in Yes For Melrose, and learn more about this proposal. It's up to all of us to step up to make an investment in the future of Melrose and everything you love about it: https://www.bostonglobe.com/.../9NP7PRqupAEINe.../story.html"

Honk, Honk, Honk. The Bozo Brigade is still stinging from the fact that some people have the audacity to think Melrose is a great place. These clowns spend hundreds of hours celebrating in any negative statement they can find about Melrose and are now trying to climb on the High Horse with their big rubber feet because they are getting sh*t on. What a pack of hypocritical losers. Realtor.com just made your biggest asset more valuable, and you losers are mad about it. Priceless. This is beautiful. Melrose #1. Boo Yah!

Its funny how Mr. Clown Patrol seems to surface every time things get a little hot for RD's anti-transparencyattack the complainants administration, for example, now with the nearly monthly Open Meeting Law violations, Federal Civil Rights Investigations of the School district, Freedom of Information law violations, and the out of control legal fee fiasco. With the Secretary of State's Office AND The Attorney General's Office officially admonishing your anti-transparency administration, school committee and school district, no wonder RD is sending out his clown crew to cover up the mess and attack the messengers.....

The real clowns
Its funny how Mr. Clown Patrol seems to surface every time things get a little hot for RD's anti-transparency attack the complainants administration. RD is sending out his clown crew to cover up the mess and attack the messengers.....

You are totally correct.

Clown Patrol
Honk, Honk, Honk. The Bozo Brigade is still stinging from the fact that some people have the audacity to think Melrose is a great place.

Honk, Honk, Honk. Rather than acknowledging the school the poor decision making in the current superintendent and school committee, The clown who posted this non-sense above is more interested in covering up the awful mess that the current superintendent has made of this once proud school system. By allowing the School committee chair and superintendent to illegally withhold public documents and permit continual OML violations to hide the sad truth from the Citizens of Melrose is a disservice to the kids and taxpayers. The truth of the matter is the school district is actually below the state average for school rankings, a level three district, (Thanks HM principal), a school district under a Federal Civil Rights Investigation and continual OML investigations, and under the close scrutiny of the Secretary of State's Office for violations of the State's Public Records Laws.

Get your heads out of the sand, get rid of these awful, school administrators and school committee, stop calling the Melrose Citizens who expect better for our kids "Melrose Haters" and lets start rebuilding a school system we can be proud of once again with a new administration, a new superintendent and a new school committee that actually cares about education like Carrie Kourkoumelis. To the school committee: It is ok to say we made a mistake with the "new" superintendent and the team she brought in. We would have more respect for you if you would just admit your mistake and move on with a new superintendent search, rather than continually covering up your poor decision making with unsupported glowing superintendent evaluations. Honestly, you look like fools on MMTV with the exception of Carrie who actually supports her evaluation with facts. Let get with it Melrose. Time is wasting for our kids and their future.

Blah, Blah, Blah. "Honk for Change" needs to pull his head and big round nose out of his large @ss. Do you read anything other than Melrose Messages you illiterate jack @ss. You bozos don't have a single candidate in the November election. Cuckoo Bird headed for the hills. You couldn't change your sh*t stained underwear without Bozo and Chuckles giving you a hand. 02176 is the hottest real estate market in the county. We are #1. Boo Yah!!

Sorry you are so upset reading the truth on my post. You have probably had a few too many drinks tonight so I will excuse your sophomoric ranting. You know, I purchased a house here 20 years ago and I am happy with my purchase, my neighbors and generally with the community I live in. We have some great things going for us here. The schools are NOT one of them anymore. Their decline has accelerated since RD's arrival on school committee, and particularly with the arrival of his current hand-picked superintendent. My kids are just not getting the education we got and the Department of Education's statistics bears out the declining numbers. For God sakes, get your clown head out of your clown Butt. We honestly don't need you Melrose Haters who are not interested in improving our mediocre schools, so get out of the way so we can make positive change. Is it such a bad thing for the Melrose Lovers to want to save their schools from these Clowns in the school district's front office? Now grab your sorry clown nose and honk three times if you want better public schools for our kids!

All you proud zip code champs join in unison and chant!

"We're number 1"
"We're number 1"
"Who cares we need an override"
"We're number 1"

For all those sitting on the fringe of Main Street in front of your favorite coffee shop maybe you should trade in your Latte' for a cup of reality.

"We're number 1"
"So full of Pride"
"Maybe the Realtor's can fund our override"

To bad you have to sell your home and move to reap the benefits of the hottest zip code in the Universe.

Toodles - I got to go to work!!!

[:-?]

Since the override issue came up in the previous posting - let me reiterate what I just wrote in the school section:

Did anyone see the article in today's Sunday Globe - Boston North section on the Melrose Override? They quoted among others, Jennifer McAndrews, chairwoman of "Yes for Melrose", on how this added money is needed for investments for parks and playgrounds - does this woman know that profits from Mount Hood Golfing pays for all our parks because of the change in the law which now allows money from golfing to be used for all our parks?

She also said that now we can invest in seniors and veterans, repair of our infrastructure (a mjority of this money comes from state & federal monies) and for a new roof for the library (where the heck did this need come from?)! Is this woman "out to lunch" or just plain lying? The Mayor told us that the override was critical to address the needs for more teachers and school staff as well as safety issues by hiring more police ( of course the crime rate in Melrose has decreased substantialy over the past 5 years based on recent statistics)- now this group and the Mayor turn around and says it is for all these other non-critical items!

It sure sounds like the typical Mayor Dolan "Bait and Switch" game again - doesn't it?

MFD
Did you read in today's Boston Globe that Melrose is now rated #1 in the top 10 communities as the hotest zip codes in America? Yes - you heard it!

This is from Realtor.con data based on how fast houses are sold and how frequently listing are viewed. It is interesting that they interviewed several people for this piece and one of them noted that people from Malden or Medford find housing in Melrose but then when they can - move on to Wakefield or Winchester! Wakefield dowmtown is a disaster!

One person even noted that Melrose could be just as good as Winchester if the schools were improved. This article needs to be sent to the Mayor and school committee!

I love Melrose, but it is no Winchester. Winchester is filled with mansions, millionaires, great schools. Melrose has none of those. Oh I'm sorry we have ONE road, Larchmont Rd.

If Melrose is doing so well financially why do we need an override? Also lets pump the brakes, if Melrose isn't 7 miles from Boston and have 3 MBTA stations, its not even recognized on this list. We're on this list because of trains and distance/time to Boston.

Who?
Who's Linda O? Is she the ginger who looks like she got hit multiple times with a sledgehammer?

Linda O of RedMax is not my favorite person, but it's not her fault that she's a stand-in for Margaret Hamilton.

If you want to hate on her, do so because she's a crazed leftie and Olive Oyl Clark's Mini Me.

This site is great reading. I love coming here when there is another positive article about Melrose and watch everyone twist and turn and agonize over the publicity Melrose is getting. I think it is fantastic. This is a great city and it is clear that the vast majority on this site are former residents that are kicking themselves for leaving or retired wing-nuts that have nothing better to do than to b*tch and moan.
If you love Melrose vote for the override. Let's keep Melrose expensive so it doesn't turn into a rat hole like any of our four neighbors (Malden, Stoneham, Wakefield or Saugus). Keep out the riff raff and keep the positive vibes coming. Oh yeah!

Wow....talk about being a snob - listen - dumb-dumb - The issue in Melrose has nothing to do about what city is the best - and by the way, nothing wrong with any of those cities - good people live in all surrounding communities.

It is clear that you must be an immature, spoiled brat that grew up in Melrose and was given everthing you ever wanted by mommy and daddy. Now go back into your basement apartment of your parent's house until you grow up to be human like the rest of us!

This is Melrose, we don't have basement apartments. Try Malden. Woot woot!

Love this
Let's keep Melrose expensive so it doesn't turn into a rat hole like any of our four neighbors (Malden, Stoneham, Wakefield or Saugus). Keep out the riff raff and keep the positive vibes coming. Oh yeah!

You must not live in the Wyoming area......Melrose has Rat Holes, too. Marika McNight has a chance of beating Gail Infurna because she and other city leaders have done nothing about the many problems in Ward 5.

MFD, don't talk to Monica M. like that. She is working hard to move out her her basement apartment in her parents house.

a vote for Monica,she has more guts then anyone else.[:)s]

The Clown Patrol losers have officially proven themselves to be a complete waste of oxygen. A full 24 hours after a couple of thoughtful individuals announce in the local papers the organization of an anti override group there is no comment on this piece of garbage forum by any of them. The clowns are two busy waddling around honking there noses at each other...hating on everything and anything they can. It must be jealousy. These folks have the stones to do what none of you losers could do. Apparently they don't hate Melrose enough for the bozo brigade. Jump in your clown cars and head out of the number #1 hottest real estate market in country. You are pathetic, worthless and weak. Melrose #1. Boo Yah!

Vuvu, aka Clown Patrol, is off her meds again.