Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Melrose DPW Truck Hit Boy on Bike on W Emerson, Where is Police Report or Newspaper Coverage?

Last week there was a very serious accident on West Emerson during the day in which a city dump truck hit a boy (supposedly a Melrose High School student) on a bike. The boy was apparently critically injured, rushed to Mass General and transferred to Children's. Apparently he had to have 150 stitches to his head and face, and he has neurological damage, among other things. The bicycle tire was literally wrapped around the tire of the truck.

Why has there been zero media coverage of this? Where is the police report? Just because it was a city vehicle and employee doesn't mean they have any right to suppress this! We want to know how the boy is and who he is so that we can try to help him and his family.

If anyone else witnessed this and knows details, please post here, where at least the city can't get it suppressed. It's just outrageous that something like this would be kept quiet, where anyplace else (literally ANYplace else) this would have been headliner news, out of simple human concern. Enough! It can't be legal to suppress this information (or Overdoses or suicides or any of the many other things we know the city has improperly kept from the public). For the sake of everyone's children, let's try to help this family and get to the bottom of whatever happened.

Re: Melrose DPW Truck Hit Boy on Bike on W Emerson, Where is Police Report or Newspaper Coverage?

Yes, let's try to help his family by posting anonymously on a messageboard. What a jackwagon.

Re: Melrose DPW Truck Hit Boy on Bike on W Emerson, Where is Police Report or Newspaper Coverage?

Jackwagon!! I can't wait to use that one! Well played ol chum!

Who said they need help? Maybe it was not trucks fault. Maybe they don't want public coverage. Maybe investigation still ongoing. What kind of help would they need? You cannot release names of minors

The last 3 posters (or 1) sum up Compassionate Melrose at its Finest. Sounds like City Hall.

The boy came down a hill through the intersection without stopping, the truck never had a chance to stop. Multiple witnesses, no story here folks.. move along! Kids do stupid things with consequences sometimes, nothing sinister on either side.

just the facts
The boy came down a hill through the intersection without stopping, the truck never had a chance to stop. Multiple witnesses, no story here folks.. move along! Kids do stupid things with consequences sometimes, nothing sinister on either side.

Since you obviously know so much (and blame this on a kid doing stupid things), it's clear where you stand and for whom. That doesn't answer the question about why this was not reported, and confirms in fact that the news of such a serious accident was suppressed.

How is the poor child, since you "know" so much? Does the family need help?

Where should this incident have been reported to ?

And if its such a secret....how do you know about it ?

This kind of thing makes TV news instantly if it comes from anyplace except Melrose. Same with Globe and local rags. Our local rags rely on Brigid's "reporting" from the 2nd Floor.

Yes. More stupid and petty stuff make the newspaper every week. Regardless of who was at fault, it seems like a newsworthy story to me.

People not all information can be released to the public during an ongoing investigation. Also, have any of you busy bodies thought that maybe the kids family wanted to keep this quiet? After all their son is probably in some distress. Some of you need a hobby asap.

Wake up
People not all information can be released to the public during an ongoing investigation. Also, have any of you busy bodies thought that maybe the kids family wanted to keep this quiet? After all their son is probably in some distress. Some of you need a hobby asap.

That the accident happened is news that no one should be allowed to censor. The identity of the victim is another matter, but managing that properly is known by the media. Go back to your latte, Mikey. It is not excusable that the news is being censored here.

Newsworthy news being censored
Wake up

That the accident happened is news that no one should be allowed to censor. The identity of the victim is another matter, but managing that properly is known by the media. Go back to your latte, Mikey. It is not excusable that the news is being censored here.

Get off your high horse, Hondo. Such a typical Melrosian, always putting your nose where it doesn't belong. Mind your **** business. If you feel so strong about this issue, why not go to city hall and bring it up! Oh wait, you won't, because you're a coward.

Man the hate on this board really makes me wonder about this world. Everyone on here is so judgmental and downright hateful. You are ALL cowards, I have news for you. ALL of you.

Dennis....this is an open, anonymous message board - it allows, in most cases, freedom of speech - and sometimes that means venting one's anger on issues and the use of vulgar inappropriate language or ideas - we call this "Free Speech".

This message board is utilized by a very small minority of people in Melrose and surrounding communities who wish to comment. I guess what I am saying is - grow up and act mature - and get some sense of reality in your life!

It is a very small group that posts and reads here - look at the number IOC "hits" on any given message thread versus the population of Melrose - but the hate generated on this website just takes my breath away whenever I occasionally come here to read. I am so happy that in my real life world of Melrose, I have never come across such vindictive and mean spirited people. I just wonder who these people are on this board, typing their anonymous venom regarding all parts of this town over and over, every day. It cannot be healthy to be so angry all of the time.

Hateful
I am so happy that in my real life world of Melrose, I have never come across such vindictive and mean spirited people.

Really? I guess you've never had any dealings with the Mayor or the School Department. If you don't respond with anger to injustice, you need a civics lesson. Here's lesson #1: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to stand idly by and say nothing. Free speech is like any other skill - if you don't use it, you lose it. This administration would have you believe that anyone who says anything critical is a hater. There's a big difference between anger and hate. Your civic duty requires you to respond critically when you see injustice or wrongdoing. To do otherwise is to forfeit your freedom.

"I am so happy that in my real life world of Melrose, I have never come across such vindictive and mean spirited people. "

Apparently you live in a special kind of bubble. If you've ever had any serious dealings with any number of officials, PTO Mean Girl Moms (and Dads!), or watched closely at the institutionalized bullying and unprofessionalism that pervades the city and playgrounds/playing fields, you might have a different view of your little Idyll. Yes, there are many many lovely Melrosians. But there are also many who only pretend at that.

Those who express criticism are not necessarily "haters," as you seem to have misunderstood. Even harsh criticism does not necessarily denote hatred. Are you really that limited in your understanding of human behavior that you cannot fathom the difference?

MFD you are one of the most hateful Free Speech practice or not you are a miserable person.

The reason you don't see people like this in Melrose is that the vast majority of the posters on this site either (1) don't live in Melrose or (2) live here but send their kids to public schools.
The first group are not relevant because you never see them. The second are very devious. They go around with smiles on their faces but run on this board every chance they get to bash the city of Melrose because they regret shelling out big bucks to send their kids to crappy private schools.

Thanks for the comment, Dennis, it only goes to prove my point about you. By the way, people who know me, know that I am not a hateful person - just very opinionated - big difference.

Clown central
The reason you don't see people like this in Melrose is that the vast majority of the posters on this site either (1) don't live in Melrose or (2) live here but send their kids to public schools.

Freudian slip?

But that is the problem with this board. There is too much outrage. There are things to be upset over - but the outrage over not seeing a boy's bicycle accident splattered in our newspapers? That is way out of line. Unfortunately, when so much anger is espoused over too many issues, and you can no longer admit to anything positive going on in this town, people will tune you out for being a "hater." Because, frankly, that is what you all sound like when I go read this board every few months.

Listen, Outrage, what you are seeing from those who post on this message board is NECESSARY! There are literally no other outlets for many people - some are brave enough to write articles in newspapers about these issues, and fewer show up at televised BOA & school committee meetings where you are belittled, ignored, or shouted down by the chair. You see this all the time at school committee meetings - happens to me!

This message board fulfills a major goal for many of us who want to vocalize and educate others as to what is really going on behind the scenes and is not being publicized.

If some people are emotionally or psychologically impacted by what is said - I suggest they seek other websites for whatever information they are seeking.What's great about the internet is that you have many choices as to where you can get information.

If you want only positive, idyllic, and rewarding information about Melrose - sign up for the Mayor's Blog - I get about 3-4 blog articles from his office each day about all the wonderful things occurring in the city at http://www.cityofmelrose.org/news/.

Mr. MFD... I hate to burst your bubble.. There is no nessasary for these posts iam sorry but they mean nothing... The negative and positive for that matter means nothing.... all you people are doing is wasting your time.... Probably a little self gratification which means well NOTHING..... emotional or phycological issues again Iam sorry but help is needed maybe a hobby, get out of the house take a walk...Belittled pushed away!!!! poor thing has sensitivity issues.... Give it a year you will be walking up and down Main Street talking to yourself, it's ok they have medication for you underlining issues....This melrose blog thing here was created exactly for this purpose to keep yourself and yes many others away....Away from society home and blogging wakey stuff that mean nothing...... Have a nice day and let's do something constructive with all your extra time..... Remember it means nothing just keeps you contained behind you computer...

That was hard to read. Here's a tip - try actual sentences next time. That's assuming, of course, that you know what an actual sentence is.

Another example of why you should not drink and write at the same time!

Lost me at "There is no nessasary for these posts"

9:44 am what a great day to be in melrose, Here you are blogging on melrose messages.. Let's get some life's people!!! And yes everything you people say still mean nothing think about it..... Get a job that may help....

Huh? WTF are you talking about?

Men who walk little white dogs are suspect.

I saw a small article in melrose free press about the bike hitting the side of a dpw truck. wonder where they got that story? police reports? from story and pic on Melrose community the bike was under the front tires of truck (looks like a put up story because Melrose Community reported it was a serious accident).Not a big story but a car hitting a woman on her bike a top story on the Patch today,looks like the city dpw story was supressed. Just the city hiding news.

That picture in Patch from the firefighter's site was about an entirely different bicycle/car accident. There has been no coverage about the young boy who was hit and had to have over 150 stitches to his head, spent time at both MGH and Children's, and has suffered major and possibly permanent neurological damage. The real matter is that it was a city dump truck that hit the son of a well-known political foe of the administration, which is why the real story hasn't been covered. It was spun as "reckless boy hit the truck" when in fact there is far more to the story. The city is now trying to cover its own you-know-what and required that a bunch of bushes on private property (Emerson) be cut way back (which only proves that the city knows there is a real problem here, since they didn't require this prior to the accident). There are big smelly rats in this story, as in so many these days, unfortunately. A young boy was hurt terribly, and that just doesn't seem to matter much here.