Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
drug dealers

Not being sarcastic here: what does it take to get the cops to actually do something about consistent, blatant drug dealing in our neighborhoods?
Many complaints with zero results.
Id really like to know how the system works and what is preventing the cops from catching these brazen dealers?

Re: drug dealers

I have called numerous times regarding drug transactions in my neighborhood. I have even given the police a name and license plate number and yet it continues!

The nicknames the MPD call 3 Mt. Vernon St./ 277 Main St. are "the cesspool" and "the flop house" . The owners recruit and then defend the residents through their law firm. The neighborhood has complained about the activities which have been ruining their neighborhood for 15 years. Narcan is definitely needed for this known drug center.

The owners are NICHOLAS, John and George KERAMARIS. TEN WALNUT HILL PARK WOBURN, MA 01801 USA . Go picket with the neighbors in front of his house or dump all the used needles at his doorstep.

Time to put up a "Better Call Saul" billboard on Main St.

wondering
Not being sarcastic here: what does it take to get the cops to actually do something about consistent, blatant drug dealing in our neighborhoods?
Id really like to know how the system works and what is preventing the cops from catching these brazen dealers?[/quote

Here is a logical idea. How about stop voting in a guy (DOLAN) who clearly undermines his Police Department. It is a well known fact the PD runs undermanned. I've heard anything from 10 to 20 undermanned. Until that gets addressed, don't expect them to be able to fully handle the drug issues, or any crime for that matter.

wondering
Id really like to know how the system works and what is preventing the cops from catching these brazen dealers?

Here is a logical idea. How about stop voting in a guy (DOLAN) who clearly undermines his Police Department. It is a well known fact the PD runs undermanned. I've heard anything from 10 to 20 undermanned. Until that gets addressed, don't expect them to be able to fully handle the drug issues, or any crime for that matter.

1. The Police Department is understaffed.

2. Dolan has never respected the police and has treated all his Chiefs badly!

3. Melrose has a serious drug problem with known dealers and distribution houses.

4. Narcan is used often in Melrose.

5. The Building and Health Inspectors don't do their jobs in relation to neglected properties where drug users/dealers live/work.

6. Slumlords are subsidized by The Melrose Housing Authority.

7. The question of how/why the brazen drug dealers continue to do business needs to be addressed.

8. Complaints about drug problems get the same reaction as questioning the schools...don't ask/don't tell....deny and coverup.....

9. Ward 5 is the worst and most ignored part of the city.

10. The Boston Globe Spotlight Team should investigate.

The Boston Globe Spotlight team should indeed investigate this administration and on many counts.

Following the money is a smart place to start because the financial management is corrupt. There is a great deal of hidden money and money that has no accountability. Start with the various Revolving Accounts and move onto the various numbered, unnamed accounts under which there are any number of unallowable and accountable practices. Take a hard look at the Emergency Fund and who gets their mortgage or rent paid, who gets gift cards from places like target and Shaws and it's a quick call to the Feds and state agencies before the whole thing comes apart. It's absolutely corrupt and any who claim otherwise are either totally deluded or shills from within. The Enterprise Funds are another place worthy of scrutiny. A full and comprehensive audit (not the superficial glossovers that RD claims are "audits") is absolutely necessary and should be called for by the BOA. It is costly but it is the only way to the truth.

Then there are the schools, which the mayor and his city solicitor, CFO (same character both sides of the financial aisle), and any number of other corrupt and/or incompetent "managers" have a big piece in destroying. The super and most of her administrative hires should be summarily fired, not only for their heinous abuses in civil rights matters but in many other areas as well, all of which have been supported by RD's corrupt hacks.

The PD has tried its best to walk the fine line in obeying (not getting fired due to insubordination even though most know they are being required to work for a corrupt administration, and their chief can barely stomach having to answer to the tyrant) and in supporting those in the city who are standing up to the unlawful and unethical conduct.

Parent
The PD has tried its best to walk the fine line in obeying (not getting fired due to insubordination even though most know they are being required to work for a corrupt administration, and their chief can barely stomach having to answer to the tyrant) and in supporting those in the city who are standing up to the unlawful and unethical conduct.

You are correct. Since a chief in Melrose has no civil service status or protection, they exist at the whim of the Mayor. It's actually not hard to get rid of a chief who tries to stand up to him and who refuses to go along with his garbage - just don't renew his contract. Two prior chiefs will attest to that. For one of them, it was the best thing that ever happened to him, since he is now a very highly regarded chief in Wakefield. The other held on long enough to retire, and is doing just fine. It's much harder to get rid of the other cops, since they have civil service protection. With the exception of two or three of them who have been in his pocket since before his first election, even those that did support him marginally have changed their minds. The catalyst for that was the pitiful accusation he made that they were abusing sick time and overtime, which a police study and an audit not only completely refuted, but confirmed it was his policies and decisions that actually caused all the problems. He was out to get them for some reason, and it backfired big time. He showed his true colors, and they now see him for exactly what he is and are rightly disgusted by him.

Just to clarify - both of those former chiefs who were "non-renewed" kept their civil service status as lieutenants. One chose to take the Wakefield gig instead of what would have essentially been a "demotion" back to lieutenant. Your point is made though - don't go along with what the Mayor wants, no matter how questionable, and you get the boot.

Same here
I have called numerous times regarding drug transactions in my neighborhood. I have even given the police a name and license plate number and yet it continues!

The Police can only do what they're able to handle. Give the Chief more Officers, and I'm sure our Officers would be much more equipped and ready to tackle the drug issue in our community. If you're a Dolan supporter you can't be mad at the Police, you voted for lack of training and readiness!

Yes, the MPD needs more officers. Start with using some of the "free cash" to pay for a new police dog and designated Canine Officer. It has been a year since "Jony" had to be retired and nothing has been done. And landlords need to be pressured by Inspectors Clay and Johnson to clean up properties which serve as drug houses. Melrose has a huge substance abuse problem which has been given lip service for years. Narcan, prevention efforts and recovery services will not solve the problem. Old politicians who talk too much and act too little will not solve the addiction problems in our city. Distribution by known drug dealers, drug suppliers, and drug enablers must be the priority and acted upon or nothing will change. Start with going after the landlords who allow and benefit by their "businesses" !!!!!

A couple of junkies overdosing does not equal a drug problem. It's called the natural thinning of the herd. For a city of 27,000 +/- we are doing just fine.

Melrose PD is a great group of guys who work in a small city with very little crime. Let's face it folks it is boring to be a cop in Melrose. Chase a few kids out of Bellevue and local parks at night, an occasional domestic, couple fender benders a week, no heavy lifting. Plenty of construction details to make some extra cash. Life is good.

El Chapo
A couple of junkies overdosing does not equal a drug problem. It's called the natural thinning of the herd. For a city of 27,000 +/- we are doing just fine.

Melrose PD is a great group of guys who work in a small city with very little crime. Let's face it folks it is boring to be a cop in Melrose. Chase a few kids out of Bellevue and local parks at night, an occasional domestic, couple fender benders a week, no heavy lifting. Plenty of construction details to make some extra cash. Life is good.

Melrose is "perfect" ElChapo (Pudwid)...no drug problems or school administration mishandling of diversity....we'll soon be seeing you holding a Trump sign.....

El Chapo

You just described 1980's Melrose. Wake up and look around. You're living in the past.

Let's not forget 17 West Wyoming Ave.

I hear the top cop in wakefield is "highly regarded" by several people over there.

Same here

Posts like yours are the ones that crack me up. Are you a Police Officer, or even more in depth, a Detective? How do you know for SURE, 100% that it was a "drug transaction?" Because I'm willing to bet even a seasoned Officer has trouble identifying a true drug transaction when it happens.

The guy walks up from his house gets in a car that just parked in front of my driveway. I see them pass something between them. This happens twice a day at the same times every day. The guy gets out of the car and the car drives off . The guy walking up has been arrested for drug charges and is known to the police. What else could it be?

How about a phone number i call you .

Melrose has problems like every other city and town. In Melrose we deny and hide our problems until things get out of control. DRUGS have been a problem for years in our city and it is only getting worse. Look at how DIFFERENCES are treated in this city. Deny, hide and lie about our problems until a crisis happens. Over 50 middle school kids participate in "kick a ginger", the OCR investigations show our city and school leaders incompetence and the same neighborhoods, houses and businesses continue to traffic drugs here. We need to have community conversations about substance abuse, racism and the lack of tolerance for differences. We need to be open about our problems and seek solutions together.

Same here
The guy walks up from his house gets in a car that just parked in front of my driveway. I see them pass something between them. This happens twice a day at the same times every day. The guy gets out of the car and the car drives off . The guy walking up has been arrested for drug charges and is known to the police. What else could it be?

Take pictures and videos. Then take them to the Police. Let the pros do what we pay them to do. I hope your issue gets resolved, one citizen to another.

Isn't The wakefield CHIEF new Vice President of the Iacp? Congrats!!!!

Congrats! Isn't this the Chief who left Melrose in disgust because of our morally corrupt officials in the Mayor's office and City solicitor's office continually wanting to illegally use law enforcement resources to intimidate and retaliate against perceived "enemies" of the current administration (aka, the people who insist on observance of OML)??

While drugs are a big problem in our city, I think car thefts/breaks need to be discussed. Was told by a buddy who works down the PD they are seeing "unprecedented" number of car thefts, and even more so car breaks. He said 99% of the time its some dummy who either A: left their car unlocked or B: left the keys in the car (real genius). People, if you see something, SAY SOMETHING! Call the Police if something is odd and out of place, it's their job. I'm sick of watching the city I love turn into Malden North.

The drug problem causes the car thefts. The people going through cars are looking for the money to buy their next hit.

Connect the Dots
The drug problem causes the car thefts. The people going through cars are looking for the money to buy their next hit.

Bingo!

Connect the Dots

The dots had already been connected, everyone already knows what you said. My simple point was be on the lookout. Help out neighbors, fellow citizens, if something doesn't look right then call.

Good points here:

MPD is in an ancient building , with known problems. The last priority in Robbys bag of tricks.
MPD is understaffed
MPD has minimal manning on any given shift
MPD is led by a Chief looking to "Not lose his Job" , how can he be effective ?
MPD Leadership is looking to not lose their jobs and work extra overtime at every chance
MPD patrol officers are looking to work maximum to hours and not make arrests
MPD detectives do What?
MPD officers have taken many "Transfers" to other pd's , to get out of " The Rose"

Drugs are every where, stooped people that don't lock their car doors become victims of crime. My friends in law enforcement do not speak well of MPD.

Not hard to figure who wrote this