Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rats in the City!

I just saw postings on Melrose MA Community on Facebook about rats in the City of Melrose. There have been many sightings in the Mount Hood area and around the Common, and also around City Hall. There was a picture posted of a rat climbing the low brick retaining wall on the sidewalk at City Hall.

Re: Rats in the City!

I believe you. I just saw City Solicitor Robert Van Campen and the Mayor Dolan at City Hall yesterday.

I was walking back from Turners last week and right next to city hall a large rat ran by. It freaked me out. Gross.

Can't wait for people to see this:
http://melrose.wickedlocal.com/news/20160525/melrose-responds-to-slew-of-rat-complaints
That should help with the congestion and overcrowded schools.

The dumpsters at Ward 5 apartment buildings along Main and Wyoming Avenue are uncovered or overflowing. Then there is the issue of recycle bins (not covered barrels) which blow around debris. Trash barrels are stuffed with junk and also not covered. Rat bait. CIty Inspectors like Clay and Johnson should do more. Restaurants need more monitoring as well. CIty officials need to do a massive outreach and educate residents on the rat problem.

shivers
I was walking back from Turners last week and right next to city hall a large rat ran by. It freaked me out. Gross.

Yes, I saw him too. He walked into city hall, up to the second floor and into the corner office.

Rat infestation at City Hall? Couldn't have happened to a better location.

The article in today's Free Press regarding Cauro's pizza must have been written by the MPS PR firm. Building Inspector, Paul Johnson and Health Director, Ruth Clay are quoted saying that there are "no code violations" at Caruso's pizza. Really? It has been widely known for years that there are rats in that dirty, abandoned dump.

Rat Patrol
The article in today's Free Press regarding Caurso's pizza must have been written by the MPS PR firm. Building Inspector, Paul Johnson and Health Director, Ruth Clay are quoted saying that there are "no code violations" at Caruso's pizza. Really? It has been widely known for years that there are rats in that dirty, abandoned dump.
Of course there are health code violations. You only had to walk by before they covered the windows to see. It was a mess in there.

RAT Solutions? I live off Lebanon Street near the Cemetary. A friend who lives on E. Foster just told me that a meeting is scheduled on Wednesday night for certain neighborhoods. If there is a city wide rat infestation, why hasn't this meeting been publicized widely? Why are some neighborhoods being invited when the rodent infestation is all over Melrose according to articles in both local papers? Anyone know more details of the time and location of this meeting?

Again, the same reason city hall and the school administration don't want you to know about all the civil rights violations in the Melrose Public schools being investigated by the Federal Office of Civil Rights-US DOE, or how much of your tax dollars are being spent on defending the administrators for those violations. They don't want the people to know the ugly truth. Just the fairytale version spun by the PR Firm hired by the City and School Administration using your tax dollars.

Community Meeting
Weds June 8, 2016
7 PM
Mayor's Conference Room
Melrose City Hall

Please join us for an informational discussion about pest management options available to combat the recent outbreak of rodent activity. All residents are welcome & encouraged to attend.

Pls contact the Melrose Health Department with any questions you would like addressed at this meeting. 781-979-4130.

Complete text of flier left on my doorstep near the Winthrop school.

Thanks for the info. This should be published on the Mayor's Blog. It will be interesting to see who shows up.

Given that the Mayor's conference room holds at best about 20 people, they're apparently not expecting a huge turnout!

Willie
Given that the Mayor's conference room holds at best about 20 people, they're apparently not expecting a huge turnout!

Seems to me - just enough room for the rats!

Willie

Meeting is not well publicized because they do not want people to know or show up.

It's still not a mayor's blog post? They don't want people to attend. I wonder why? Is rat control controversial?

Is Ruth Clay gonna pry herself from Liberty Bell Takeout menu to attend the meeting?

HUSH hush
Willie

Meeting is not well publicized because they do not want people to know or show up.

Same with the school space meeting. It was cancelled and rescheduled per Dolan as the original time and venue was going to be too convenient. So he told the school committee to move it to Saturday morning at 9 AM (not kidding) at the Lincoln school cafeteria, if anyone can find it. Parents will either be asleep or with their kiddies at their youth sports game. Also, there are only 38 parking spaces and no off street parking. The funny thing is the Mayor thinks parents haven't figured his silly anti-public participation campaign. Given that 30% of voters who showed up for the most recent elections would not pull the lever for him despite running unopposed demonstrates the voter's desire for a big change.