Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
City Planning????

I don't often go by Essex St. but see there is a large five story building at Deering Lumber being built on the street line on both Willow and Essex.

I feel so sorry for the residents of Willow - they must see nothing but this building from their living rooms and bedrooms. A building that large belongs away from the property line and could easily have been built along the tracks instead. It's unnatural and claustrophobic where it is now.

Re: City Planning????

I agree that it is an overpowering presence in that area - but it is zoned for that purpose - its set-back would have been a better outcome aesthetically. I guess for those living in the 5th floor penthouse will have a spectacular view.

When they took the bowling alley down the developer had to widen the street and install parking spaces.

For this one, they let them build right up to the street. It would have been useful to have the parking spaces along the whole street instead of the pitiful few next to Station Crossing.

They also made Willow St. one-way so there's fewer ways across town. There is basically no good road to get through between Myrtle and Vinton now.

This is the new Melrose, people. Whether we like it or not, it is here to stay. 5 years ago we were around 27,000 residents. Now the city claims we "hover" around 28,000 (insert chuckle) Ya, ok, if you believe that I have some ocean front property to sell you in Kansas. Can't imagine a population under 30,000. Turning our small town into an overcrowded city.

Chelsea with trees[8-)]

Like Chelsea! No way, Jose!

The bozo brigade is at it again, and MFD, the Chief leader MFD is again ignorantly posting about another subject he knows nothing about. For starters, the development is senior housing with assisted living services...something desperately needed in Melrose. Pretty sure their won't be a penthouse as the units average less than 1,000 square feet. Apparently "Concerned" felt looking at Deering Lumber and the dilapidated structures on the site was a premium view right up with over looking the golf course. New Rose must be a relative new comer. There was a time when Melrose's population was over 33,000 in the 70's and 80's. Its finally on the upswing again and the new buyers are a breath of fresh of air. You Clowns are a bunch of whining morons whose grasp of the facts is right up there with MFD's grasp of a healthy diet.

Get real, Clown Patrol! That building could ave better positioned than it is now - and the comments about the parking is legitimate.

Also, there will be penthouses as their brochure discusses. Do some reading before commenting, Clown ---oops forgot the word Patrol!

The area is teeming with RATS. What is the Health Department doing?

Clown Patrol
The bozo brigade is at it again, and MFD, the Chief leader MFD is again ignorantly posting about another subject he knows nothing about. For starters, the development is senior housing with assisted living services...something desperately needed in Melrose. Pretty sure their won't be a penthouse as the units average less than 1,000 square feet. Apparently "Concerned" felt looking at Deering Lumber and the dilapidated structures on the site was a premium view right up with over looking the golf course. New Rose must be a relative new comer. There was a time when Melrose's population was over 33,000 in the 70's and 80's. Its finally on the upswing again and the new buyers are a breath of fresh of air. You Clowns are a bunch of whining morons whose grasp of the facts is right up there with MFD's grasp of a healthy diet.

Yea real breath of fresh air these blm supporting, curley-short-haired, glasses-wearing, we need a women's commission moms are.
They should've put the assisted living facility on washington st instead of putting that mammoth building so close to the sidewalk in a mainly residential neighborhood. I suspect once the new parking lots are ready across from the hospital then they'll sell the one near Deering lumber and put up another mammoth building. Is that the plan?

If you are going to attack Jessica Buster, have the guts to identify her by name. Hope you don't have any daughters or a wife...

lol. I wasn't specifically referring to this woman but if the shoe fits. I just made an observation. Anytime I see a young mom driving a Prius any other small Toyota, or a Subaru they happen to have short curly hair and are democrats. 😂

By the way I happen to have three beautiful daughters and a wife. Two have successful jobs, one is still in college and my wife is a successful accountant. They don't need feminists telling them they are being held down by men. They are beautiful, long-haired, suv-driving, Trump supporters.

cow
lol. I wasn't specifically referring to this woman but if the shoe fits. I just made an observation. Anytime I see a young mom driving a Prius any other small Toyota, or a Subaru they happen to have short curly hair and are democrats. 😂

By the way I happen to have three beautiful daughters and a wife. Two have successful jobs, one is still in college and my wife is a successful accountant. They don't need feminists telling them they are being held down by men. They are beautiful, long-haired, suv-driving, Trump supporters.

Those broads are the worst, can't stand feminazis. As for clown, just making a population observation. And I wouldn't be surprised if the population was up around 32-33 thousand again. Also we don't need another senior living space, we already have enough. Should have put regular condos there or a public safety building.

Clown PatrolApparently "Concerned" felt looking at Deering Lumber and the dilapidated structures on the site was a premium view right up with over looking the golf course.[/quote

Clown Patrol suggests the city should just accept all things bad so long as the surface looks neat and clean. How shallow!

I didn't like the dilapidated buildings one bit, but Deering Lumber had been there for longer than I'm alive - not young, either - and the buildings were built before zoning laws. Still, there were small buildings at the corner of Willow with parking between the building and Willow, and small buildings going down Essex toward the Deering Lumber office. They didn't overwhelm the street. They weren't five stories high right on the street like this new one.

City government is supposed to protect residents for the long-term. This is a planning and zoning failure. Might as well just turn the city over to developers looking to make a quick buck.

cow

If they support Trump and you, they can't be that smart. Trump and you have and will fail. Wait and see.

No one should have approved such a structure as is being built now. The city had opportunity to improve the impact on the public way and the surrounding neighbors, but this behemoth is unacceptable - even if it won't look dilapidated - for now.

The new building should have been sited along the tracks and toward the back of the lot. There could be appropriate parking between the building and the street and a nice green space along Essex and Willow. Willow could have appropriate public parking spaces straight down to Essex, continuing the line of parking as done for Station Crossing.

Willow street should be two-way. There is no north-bound street across that part of town between Vinton to Myrtle now that Willow is taken away in one direction. Myrtle is congested by the library and Shaws. Vinton St. is on the opposite side of the tracks.

What's being built instead of something good for the city:
1. Huge building dwarfing the surroundings on both Willow and Essex.
2. It's so high and close to the street, it will block sun from the public way.
3. Narrow, one-way Willow Street - and useless white lines and bicycle symbol.

More people, more cars, more kids = less parking, more congested streets and over crowded classrooms. Then to top it off some rocket scientist keeps approving the narrowing of streets, bump outs, oversized sidewalks, one way streets, and bike lanes, so now we all have even less room to drive, park and move about this overcrowded city. Thanks for the great planning!

Yeah, and it's so much safer when there is snow accumulation with these narrower streets. Couldn't see or drive/walk around the snow piles before, but now it's truly a threat for everyone.

These 'planners' are out of control. Traffic tieups, tough parking, and general congestion because of narrow streets and bump outs make it unsafe. The more frustrated the drivers, they make more sudden moves they to get around the congestion and get out of it. That causes accidents.

When drivers get frustrated, they drive more dangerously. When traffic flows smoothly, drivers don't make unexpected moves to get around the traffic problems. Melrose is going to have more accidents in the Highlands, Shaws, than before.

The smugness of the planners is obvious. They want to brag they installed all the latest fads - narrowed streets, bump outs, bicycle 'lanes' that are unsafe. I won't ride my bike right next to a row of cars where it's only a matter of time until someone will open a car door right into me. I'm staying in the travel lane.

Narrow Minded
More people, more cars, more kids = less parking, more congested streets and over crowded classrooms. Then to top it off some rocket scientist keeps approving the narrowing of streets, bump outs, oversized sidewalks, one way streets, and bike lanes, so now we all have even less room to drive, park and move about this overcrowded city. Thanks for the great planning!

What do you expect from kissass Denise and jerko zwirko's wife

Narrow Minded

What do you expect from kissass Denise and jerko zwirko's wife

Narrow Minded

Agree with this totally. Bump outs such a stupid idea,
And I laughed when I saw the bike lanes on Essex St. Really? How many bikers are around Melrose that we needed a bike lane?
Again they're just trying to make it look more like a cool, modern, larger city. Taking away the very reason those who grew up here chose to remain and raise their own family here. With The constant movement of cars coming and going from Shaws, especially with the car population swelling, its not going to be long before a biker, if there ever is any, will get hit by an opening door or a car pulling out.

The new building on Essex St gets bigger every time I go by. Can't believe how huge it is. Totally inappropriate for the neighborhood.

Not worried. Judging by a lot of the newcomers I've seen, not too many of them are the sort to be reproducing.

NO idea what that means! Are we being invaded by eunuchs?

I love when Wee Willie plays coy!

If there's anything Melrose already has in wholesale quantities, it's eunuchs!