Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fire Contract

Saw in the news that Melrose Fire has been - again - working without a contract for 26 months. Now that's not a big surprise, because since Dolan was elected, that's been the city's standard tactic - delay and obfuscate as long as possible to avoid signing and having to come up with the money. Unfortunately, that also means that - again - when the contract is finally signed, the city will have to come up with all the retroactive money in one budget cycle instead of three, and it also means that since you can't budget for potential retroactive pay or "anticipated" increases, the increase is unfunded and unaccounted for. The city will have to miraculously - again - pull the entire amount out of whatever hat they're stashing money in to cover the cost. This kind of fiscal sleight of hand hanky panky is the hallmark of the Dolan administration, and quite honestly makes me sick.

Re: Fire Contract

I think there should be a ballot question to go to a volunteer fire department. Fire Department not needed in Melrose. Ambulance and police are enough. If we have a fire we can pay Malden to come put it out.

However, when it comes to our teachers - Dolan is first on the vote for a new- more money - no questions asked - and no more time commitment for teachers, to vote yes well before the contract has expired! As the Mayor thinks - for the police, firemen, and the citizens - wait in line and when I deem it important enough - I'll get to your demands on my time! Spoken by a true political hack! Time to boot this guy out of office - his ego is larger than his size - and that's saying something!

I hope you are not serious - A Volunteer Fire Department --???

And call on Malden -

This city has always had a fire department and will continue to do so.

Dolan however will not be in charge for much longer and these stupid

ideas will go with him.

Dolan has a dislike for fire personnel and police personnel along with
EMT'S

Deal with it Dolan

The reality is that it is time for regionalization among fire departments and the shifts need to be run like the police (3 shifts)so that these guys actually work and don't get paid overtime for sleeping in the fire house.

Melrose should regionalize with Wakefield and Stoneham. Three shifts(12 AM to 8AM, 8 AM to 4 PM, 4 PM to 12 AM) No overtime, and they work 5 days on and 2 days off. make it a real job, not a part time gig. All these fireman work 2 days a week for the fire department and have their own contracting businesses on the side the other 5. Its a joke and everyone knows it. If Melrose has one fire a year I'd be shocked.

Fred, one day after 9:11 what a hero you are.
Sounds like someone took the wrong test.
Maybe you should ask yourself why they need a second job.
Don't see a lot of fireman on that "highest paid" list that comes out every year.
Good luck with your plan. Hope it works out for you and your new insurance rates.
[o:)][:)s]

Melrose Resident
Time to boot this guy out of office - his ego is larger than his size - and that's saying something!

His body has to be that size to hold up his head.

I agree with Fred. A volunteer department would be preferable but the logistics of going from a fully paid to volunteer would be tough. And Rudy G, don't think I don't appreciate the fact that firefighters, both paid and volunteer, put their lives on the line when it matters. I also think Melrose has a fantastic department. I think you can believe this and also agree with Fred's ideas.

It's really all about getting more votes for the next election. His political base is essentially mommies of younger students who think pumping money into the school system (with little or no thought of how to strategically deploy the funds (think failed override) is a grand idea. By the time their kids are well into middle school they understand what a cluster the mayor has made of things with his influence on School Committee.

Rudy G
Fred, one day after 9:11 what a hero you are.
Sounds like someone took the wrong test.
Maybe you should ask yourself why they need a second job.
Don't see a lot of fireman on that "highest paid" list that comes out every year.
Good luck with your plan. Hope it works out for you and your new insurance rates.
[o:)][:)s]

So let me get this straight, because he thinks Fire Fighters have an absurd schedule (like most of us), you think he's a cop? Please explain the logic to that. And for the record, he along with others are correct, we don't need this many fire services. We have too many fire fighters and not enough cops. Just a factual post, nothing what so ever against the fire department. I sure as heck wouldn't want their jobs. Heroes. But just because they're heroes doesn't mean this many of them are needed.

Lets be real, most of what the fire department does nowadays is medical runs/calls. Our Police department just had one of their busiest years EVER. Yet we still have them 20 men undermanned. Am I the only one who sees this as backwards? If I'm wrong, I'm always up for being educated.

Many of you seem to forget that our city is growing, pretty rapidly if you want to get into specifics. It would not be wise to cut Fire jobs. At 25,000 two fire houses would suffice, but at 30,000 and up, the three fire houses start to make sense. And sorry to burst your bubble folks but we are at 30,000 and only going up. If the schools would stop wasting funds, there would be money for the FD (and PD for that matter).

As for the PD, they need more men, no doubt about it. Have a few buddies over there, and they don't want "20 men" but defiantly say they could use more than 3 patrolmen on the streets. I laugh everytime I hear that. Three patrolmen for 30,000 people lol, only in Melrose folks. And most of them are very upfront about it, they'll tell you how there are shifts where they actually run out of Officers to send to calls. Anyone want to explain how that is customer service, eyes on you Robbie.

No reason to cut fire jobs. All they need to do is agree to work the same shifts as the police, based on seniority. New guys work 12 am to 8 am, then a 8 to 4 and a 4 to midnight. 3 shifts, no overtime. Fire departments are stealing money with the OT racker and 24 hour shifts where they spend most of the time sleeping. Overhaul is needed. If they won't agree City should regionalize or go volunteer. Enough is enough. Current system is as antiquated as toll operators.

Fred, your a hoot, you should be opening up for Lenny Clarke at Giggles.[:))][:)s][:)s]

Any truth to the rumors the Firemans contract has been settled? If so can someone lay out the numbers for me? On that note, what is up with the Police Officers?