Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New buildings

Does anyone know if the properties that Melrose Wakefield Hosp is purchasing and building on all over town be excused from paying city taxes? I know the hospital does not pay. If they purchase Wingate will they pay taxes. If these properties are all excluded from paying taxes the city will lose a lot of revenue . Just curious.

Re: TAX EXEMPTS

I HAVE ASKED CONN AND MEDEIROS SEVERAL TIMES FOR A LIST OF TAX EXEMPT PROPERTIES AND HOW MUCH THEY PAY FOR "SERVICES IN KIND", ETC. NEVER A RESPONSE. I BELIEVE THE HOSPITAL IS CHARGED A HIGHER WATER RATE. BIG DEAL. BOSTON IS GOING AFTER THE TAX EXEMPTS .
WHO KNOWS HOW MANY TAX EXEMPTS SEEK A SAFE HAVEN THROUGH CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTORS ? EXCELLENT SUBJECT FOR FREE PRESS TO COVER.

Hallmark just cut nurses jobs and hours. The nurses are great and not valued. What will Ward 5 Gail do? She is on the Hallmark Board and works at that dump called Epoch Wingate.

Obviously, it is not sustainable if the commercial tax base continues to be reduced every time Hallmark makes another acquisition. And people wonder why Rob continues to hide revenue by playing with the water sewer rates.

A major tax exempt property is the YMCA. It just obtained addition land for parking. The large Child Care Center
by Hunts is also theirs and off the tax rolls. When they went into the day care business, several for- profit, non-tax exempt day care businesses had to close. Tax-exempt Melrose churches are also now in the day care business.