Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
mm poster

Watched some of the Cultural Proficiency workshop last night. The instructor was excellent. However, many of the attendees demonstrated the complete intellectual dishonesty that is running rampant across this country, particularly in Melrose.
This is a great city that has a number of faults. All cities do; but most lifelong residents are good people that care deeply about their community and neighbors. While it is insulting to hear newcomers describe Melrose as “bluecollar” or “backwoods” or “intolerant”; everyone has their own experience and is entitled to their opinion.
The fact is, Melrose is a community that is 90% white. While the demographics of this city far from perfect, this is not new information to residents of Melrose and for years residents have been working on making life better here for all. The motto of “One Community open to all” was adopted and on bumper stickers a long time ago; well before the advent of today’s social justice warriors. It dates back to when Melrose had an openly gay, republican Mayor. Think about that in today’s political climate…a gay republican led our city. Melrose has also been a long-time leader in the Metco program; enriching lives of so many students regardless of their address. The HRC has done great work over the years and the cooperation and dialogue among religious denominations in Melrose is remarkable. Yes, improvement and reflection is needed, but the need for reflection applies to ALL residents.
The majority of Melrose residents grew up here and have chosen to raise their families here as well; many trying to improve the community that they know and love. However, a small minority has now come into town and want to tell us how bad we are and how we need to change. I suggest that a question needs to be asked of all of the new comers to this city, in particular the white people that recently moved here. As a person that claims to care about racial justice, what is it in YOUR background or personal history that made YOU chose to live in a city that is nearly 90% white and always has been? Our neighbor to the south, Malden, is a great city that is less than 50% white, yet YOU made the choice to live here. Does that make YOU a racist? If our demographics automatically make us a racist city then that makes YOU someone that wanted to live in a city full of racists. YOU should reflect on that for a while.
The amount of ‘white guilt’ in the room was obvious and once done, everyone left the room and went back to their white neighborhoods, turned on MSNBC and really felt great about themselves. It was an exercise in hypocrisy. I actually felt bad for the presenter as, despite best intentions, she missed this entirely. Unfortunately, this type of conversation cannot be had publicly as a bunch of people with funny hats and big signs will show up on your front lawn.
To all those looking to change everyone else in this great community; you should first take a look in the mirror and have an honest conversation with yourself. It appears obvious that many of these new social justice warriors came into Melrose with preconceived notions of what we are. I suggest that you first observe how the people of this great city treat each other; think about your own life choices and then change yourself before trying to change others.

Re: mm poster

So the previous poster implies that just because one has purchased property here and is white, that this should suffice because all should presumably see the status quo and accept it as such, questions and positive change therefore unwelcome. Total bunk, and demonstrates the insecurity of the poster about those "social justice warriors" (said with the most disparaging of tones). Sorry bud, but just because Melrose has "traditionally" been a bigoted white mostly republican town (not a city and only pretend as far as being "Democrat") doesn't make it right or worthy of protecting as such. Cling to your insecure fantasies about what Melrose is or should continue to be, but good on all those who are trying to improve what is sadly not such a rosey atmosphere. In fact after a two-year indepth investigation this city's school system was deemed to be a "racially hostile environment," and this means the city as a whole, not just the school system. It is solely because the city government and those propping it up are so corruupt and backwards in their views that those running the school system have not paid a single real price for the illegal and racist conduct that was spelled out plain and clear. So sure, "mm poster," keep singing the old songs about what being a "true Melrosian" is supposed to mean. There are many of us, from all walks (not pigeon-holed into the HRC supporters) who are quite eager to see a better Melrose evolve, where the toxic and backwards views are overruled by a more legal, kinder, and more genuinely progressive way of viewing our fellow humans.

It's just a silly fantasy to claim that the HRC has accomplished anything here. It headlines RD on its stationery, and even the most superficial knowledge of that man's conduct shows what total hypocrisy it is for such an individual to be claiming to care about "human rights." His views would sit well in Oklahoma. He is a misogynist and racist, and he sits on the board that continues to whitewash the anti-human rights agenda of a district that denies what students need and only provides what it is forced to provide after being challenged legally and losing. It is worse than hypocrisy to claim otherwise. It is actual fact and can be proven, over and over again.

I've lived in this city for over 40 years and have belonged to numerous organizations over those many years and I have never seen any racists attitudes among those whom I have interacted with over those years. My kids went through the public school system here and they also have never experienced racists or white supremacy attitudes.

We moved here because of the school system, recreational opportunities, it had many options for pubic transportation and it was near Boston.

The homes here are expensive now which has a tendency to limit who can afford to live here. The black pop. in the state is about 8% and in Melrose it is about 3%. Again, housing costs will limit who can afford to live here. These are just the facts of life and not discrimination! Get a grip on life people!

As the saying goes, "Follow the money". Cut off the government grant money from such organizations and they
would exist only with local funding where the need really is there. To maintain funding for next year, it is a "use it or lose it" before the fiscal year ends.

To Mhs; I didn’t suggest anything was unwelcome. Despite your vitriol you did not answer the question I asked so I will ask it again. What has made YOU chose to live in a city that is 90% white? If things are nearly as bad from a race relations perspective; why do YOU choose to live in such a place?
There is an old saying which appears to be ringing true with Mhs and many SJW’s in Melrose…”Scratch a liberal; find a racist.” While the truth may hurt, work on yourselves before trying to change others. That is the message that the instructor was trying to convey to the audience but it was clearly missed by participants who were all busy talking in their echo chamber.

To SJW's - YOU chose to live here
To Mhs; I didn’t suggest anything was unwelcome. Despite your vitriol you did not answer the question I asked so I will ask it again. What has made YOU chose to live in a city that is 90% white? If things are nearly as bad from a race relations perspective; why do YOU choose to live in such a place?
There is an old saying which appears to be ringing true with Mhs and many SJW’s in Melrose…”Scratch a liberal; find a racist.” While the truth may hurt, work on yourselves before trying to change others. That is the message that the instructor was trying to convey to the audience but it was clearly missed by participants who were all busy talking in their echo chamber.

You are absolutely correct about the liberal echo chamber - when they don't hear that echo - they cry racists, homophobe, and worse! It is true what some say about the radical left liberals - the current group has a disease of which there is no antidote.

I don't get the people who want a more diverse community either. Why did you buy here then?

Mhs
So the previous poster implies that just because one has purchased property here and is white, that this should suffice because all should presumably see the status quo and accept it as such, questions and positive change therefore unwelcome.

Why do you assume that the status quote requires 'positive change'? Does 'positive change' require less white people to you? Or more Democrats? If so, why?

Sorry bud, but just because Melrose has "traditionally" been a bigoted white mostly republican town (not a city and only pretend as far as being "Democrat") doesn't make it right or worthy of protecting as such.

You're writing betrays an amazing level of bias. What does 'traditionally white' have to do with bigoted? What makes you think that even 'pretending to be democrat' is by default an improvement over being a 'traditionally republican' town?

Here's a bit of reality rather than bias. I am a white person who has lived in Melrose for a long while now and who is proud to be a Republican. And I am not a bigot and I don't think pretending to be, or not to be, a Democrat would be an improvement either way.

Personally, I don't need any input from the new bunch of SJW types who have shown up pointing their finger at me simply because I'm white and scream 'bigot!', point their finger at me because I'm a man and call scream 'sexist!', point their finger at me because I'm a Republican and me 'racist!'.

Take a good look in the mirror and then go f$ck yourself.

Melrose sucks so leave while you can no diverse going on in this city all white.

melrose
Melrose sucks so leave while you can no diverse going on in this city all white.

I just hate ignorance - Melrose has a population that is 13% non-white! That is far from ALL WHITE!

The "white guilt" liberals that want to criticize Melrose because it isn't diverse enough are just a bunch of pretenders looking for an easy way to make them feel good about themselves. Anyone who can afford to buy a home or rent a place in Melrose can live here. There are no other barriers. The overwhelming number of "white guilt" liberals driving this debate live in Melrose because they couldn't afford to live in Arlington, Winchester or Cambridge. For generations Melrose was a move to the suburbs from the City of Boston...a step up and out of tougher neighborhoods. Now its a place where white liberals who can't afford to buy in the town they grew up in move to as plan B. Melrose might be expensive buts it a lot less than many of the communities within a 15 minute drive. Long before these clowns showed up Melrose elected not one, but two, openly gay Mayors, was one of the first communities in on the Metco program, had churches with every denomination, and the Lincoln school had many, many students with english as a second language. If Melrose is now a racist community its a surprise to most of us who have lived here our entire lives. It must be the white guilt liberals feeling guilty for a reason. They can't scrub the taint of racism off that they picked up in their prior rich white towns...that the poor souls can no longer afford to live in. What a disappointment to their parents they must be.

I don't think about diversity, hardly at all- there, I said it. I am happy to have racially diverse neighbors or not, as long as they are good people, and care about the community. I don't feel any sense of guilt living in a city that is mostly white- it is what it is. I don't want to try to change things to make people move here for diversity sake. It's just silly. People will move where they want to live. People move where they feel comfortable, and where they can afford, and where their work commute is best, and where their family and friends are. Those are the reasons most people live here. And that is fine, and nothing to feel bad about.
What I cannot stand is the total phoniness of so many people I interact with in this city- the white guilt is enormous among them, and they preach and preach diversity, and how bad it is that the city isn't more diverse. But...they would never move to a more racially diverse city...they would never stand up to the school administration when a minority student has been mistreated (because they are too busy singing the praises of the schools while drinking their Kool aid)...they would never do anything that would negatively impact them for the sake of diversity. It is all just talk to make themselves look and feel good about who they are. What would they do if Melrose decided to become a sanctuary city, and we had a huge influx of refugees in our schools, requiring all sorts of resources and services and money, taking time from the teachers away from these people's precious genius children? Would they embrace that diversity? I think not. It is all just phony baloney.

Phony
But...they would never move to a more racially diverse city...they would never stand up to the school administration when a minority student has been mistreated (because they are too busy singing the praises of the schools while drinking their Kool aid)...they would never do anything that would negatively impact them for the sake of diversity. It is all just talk to make themselves look and feel good about who they are. It is all just phony baloney.

Absolutely correct. Truth be told, they'd be the first to whine and moan if a family from Rwanda moved in next door. They'd work themselves into a frenzy worrying how much the market value of their house dropped, without even realizing that value is based on a lie. Values in Melrose are what they are as part of a very deliberate bubble created by the Administration, in collusion with realtors, a couple in particular, to price "less desirable" owners out of the market. While they run all over the place spouting "diversity" they willingly take part in ensuring such "diversity" can't happen here.

I hate to break it to these people, but Melrose is, and always has been, all style and no substance. It's attraction is only skin deep. Scratch the surface and you find something a lot less appealing.

Years ago, when MMTV started, there was a local comedy troupe on it who wore tshirts saying "Melrose....we don't suck". At the time, many took that as some type of affront. Now (I'm sorry to say) it might be more of a compliment.

Mhs
So the previous poster implies that just because one has purchased property here and is white, that this should suffice because all should presumably see the status quo and accept it as such, questions and positive change therefore unwelcome. Total bunk, and demonstrates the insecurity of the poster about those "social justice warriors" (said with the most disparaging of tones). Sorry bud, but just because Melrose has "traditionally" been a bigoted white mostly republican town (not a city and only pretend as far as being "Democrat") doesn't make it right or worthy of protecting as such. Cling to your insecure fantasies about what Melrose is or should continue to be, but good on all those who are trying to improve what is sadly not such a rosey atmosphere. In fact after a two-year indepth investigation this city's school system was deemed to be a "racially hostile environment," and this means the city as a whole, not just the school system. It is solely because the city government and those propping it up are so corruupt and backwards in their views that those running the school system have not paid a single real price for the illegal and racist conduct that was spelled out plain and clear. So sure, "mm poster," keep singing the old songs about what being a "true Melrosian" is supposed to mean. There are many of us, from all walks (not pigeon-holed into the HRC supporters) who are quite eager to see a better Melrose evolve, where the toxic and backwards views are overruled by a more legal, kinder, and more genuinely progressive way of viewing our fellow humans.

Typical liberal loser. No one said change was a bad thing, but too much change too quickly IS a bad thing. Look what Obama brought us. Too much change too quickly. Now our country is a disaster. It's why we hold you newbies in check and make sure we are ok with your recommendations and requests. That is our right as longtime citizens.

What tree were you living under in 2008 -2009?? This country was in a near depression thanks to a republican administration that refused to fund agencies overseeing banks, mortgagees and Wallstreet. Obama stepped in immediately, unarguably saving this country from the chaos of the Republican near depression. And that was despite the teaparty losers/racists in congress who openly declared they would obstruct Obama and our executive branch, significantly slow-walking the recovery and in the process, hurting Americans like you and me. With the country finally on solid footing from the republican near-depression, Trump walks in, and insults my country, the greatest country in the world, declaring "Make America Great Again"?? What?? Again, the guy's a fraud and is clearly under the thumb of his boss, Putin who keeps his Kompromise in his breast pocket any time Trump steps out of line. It would be a stunning turn of luck for Trump if survives the first two years in office without being impeached for treason. And it will be real republicans that will start the process to prevent their party from turning into the circus it currently is, with Trump as leading clown.

More fake news from loser
What tree were you living under in 2008 -2009?? This country was in a near depression thanks to a republican administration that refused to fund agencies overseeing banks, mortgagees and Wallstreet. Obama stepped in immediately, unarguably saving this country from the chaos of the Republican near depression. And that was despite the teaparty losers/racists in congress who openly declared they would obstruct Obama and our executive branch, significantly slow-walking the recovery and in the process, hurting Americans like you and me. With the country finally on solid footing from the republican near-depression, Trump walks in, and insults my country, the greatest country in the world, declaring "Make America Great Again"?? What?? Again, the guy's a fraud and is clearly under the thumb of his boss, Putin who keeps his Kompromise in his breast pocket any time Trump steps out of line. It would be a stunning turn of luck for Trump if survives the first two years in office without being impeached for treason. And it will be real republicans that will start the process to prevent their party from turning into the circus it currently is, with Trump as leading clown.

Trump is a loser? You guys lost the Presidential election with the most qualified candidate every, according to Obama, and who would know better than he? And she got beat by a real estate business man! The majority of people in 33 states (landslide) voted for him and not her! Additionally - the Dems lost the House in 2010, the Senate in 2014 and lost many governorship's and statehouses. You all are losers!

We finally have a President that puts Americans first - not illegal immigrants! We finally have a President who will require the Justice Dept to follow the law instead of what politicians want! I wake up every day and thank God that Trump is President and that the Democrat Party will soon be in the dustbin of history - and good ridence!

I woke up terrified , along with several million other Americans just a few days ago wondering why there was a Russian war ship only a couple miles off Block Island while Trumptikov was playing golf with his rich friends in Florida, selling access to the executive office for $200,000 club memberships at his Club.

Trumptikov
I woke up terrified , along with several million other Americans just a few days ago wondering why there was a Russian war ship only a couple miles off Block Island while Trumptikov was playing golf with his rich friends in Florida, selling access to the executive office for $200,000 club memberships at his Club.

Take some meds, get a puppy, and STOP WATCHING CNN!

Trumptikov

Hey, dumb, dumb....we have warships off their coast too - in international waters - it's called mutual patrolling the oceans in international waters. Stop watching CNN or MSNBC - according to them - The Russians are Coming! Fake news as usual!

Relax and Get Real are still drinking the Trumptikov Koolaid. I saw this story on Faux News Network, you chuckleheads. Even Fox News is coming around to the reality that Trump is a pretender and Russia and other enemies are taking advantage of the nieve Trumpikov who has been "Kompromised" by the KGB, pants down with young girls during his Russia "business" trips over the years. Putin keeps that picture in his back pocket in case Trump gets out of line. Wake up and smell the coffee, Trumptikov will be impeached before two years in office, and the Repugs will be the first ones to start the process before Trump destroys the Republican brand, if not the entire party. Every day is another circus in the white house as Trump and his handpicked bandits make fools of themselves. I said it here: Impeachment before two years in office.

Trumptikov
Relax and Get Real are still drinking the Trumptikov Koolaid. I saw this story on Faux News Network, you chuckleheads. Even Fox News is coming around to the reality that Trump is a pretender and Russia and other enemies are taking advantage of the nieve Trumpikov who has been "Kompromised" by the KGB, pants down with young girls during his Russia "business" trips over the years. Putin keeps that picture in his back pocket in case Trump gets out of line. Wake up and smell the coffee, Trumptikov will be impeached before two years in office, and the Repugs will be the first ones to start the process before Trump destroys the Republican brand, if not the entire party. Every day is another circus in the white house as Trump and his handpicked bandits make fools of themselves. I said it here: Impeachment before two years in office.

Sorry, dumb, dumb, Trump is doing exactly what he told us he was going to do - and for once we have a President who cares more about Americans and to keep us safe than he does for Muslims and illegal immigrants! And isn't that great - although the Democrats and their supporters hate that!

Hey moonbat You Are In For A Little Surprise....Get Ready For Eight Years....

Back to the original post: When you moved to Melrose from Somerville or Cambridge because you had children, you showed yourself for being the worst sort of racist. A hypocritical one.

As noted above, you moved to a majority white city from a more diverse area, yet you bleat and complain, from a "safe" distance of course.

But you didn't want your oh so precious children attending school or actually living near the populations of Somerville, Cambridge, Everett or Malden did you????

So shut up already.