Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speed limit

I was traveling down Howard St today and saw the speed machine monitoring the speed I was doing. I was wonderIng if there was a decision on how last years accident happened. I remember they had a reenactment but I don't remember seeing results. Has the speed limit been reduced in Melrose? Thank you.

Re: Speed limit

Speed limit will be discussed on Wednesday, 3-15 at The Traffic Commission Meeting. 25 mph is the only safe solution!

The accident on Howard St. didn't occur because someone was travelling safely at 30 mph and paying attention. I don't know what caused that accident, but at 25 mph someone looking at a cell phone will still run someone over or hit a car. At 10 mph, bad things can occur, and do.

30 mph has been the statutory limit for generations and is safe. The slower people travel, the more time they're on the road. The more congested the city gets, the more likely there will be more frustrated drivers and accidents, both. Leave the speed limit at 30 mph.

Generations ago people were not texting or talking on their phones. The City can collect much needed revenue by fining those who drive too fast and talk and/or text while diving. 25 MPH is what needs to happen and makes us all safer.

The PC fanatics believe in more restrictions, more regulations, more limitations on citizens, no matter the realm. Agree with the previous poster there will be more accidents at 25 mph than 30. More frustration, more time on the road and more stops at lights cause more accidents. Plus, most accidents occur at intersections. Not because of speed but because of inattention.

More accidents in Melrose are in stop and go traffic than when people are traveling at 30 mph. I've seen more accidents on the Fellsway because of school congestion than anywhere else in town.

A driver's license certifies you as capable of driving 30 mph safely on city streets and 65 on the highways. If someone can't drive safely at 30 they should lose their license. They can use The Ride, Lyft, Uber or a cab.

I have an experiment for you: Tomorrow on your way to work, drive through town at 25 mph. Then you will understand how utterly absurd this speed limit is for our community. People Sunday-driving through the city at low speeds causes traffic to bunch up and this in turn is what causes accidents, it's real life.

This is nothing but a clever way to generate revenue for the City through enforcement of a ridiculous speed limit. Unfortunately, just one ticket will cost you thousands in increased insurance premiums.

There isn't a cop in Melrose (well....maybe one) that would cite someone for going 35 in a 25. What you might see is an increase in verbal warnings, and maybe a slight increase in written warnings, although I doubt that, because even that requires writing out a citation form and that can be tracked. Cops are well aware how much a speeding ticket costs bottom line. They'll save that for someone who really deserves it, like 45 in a 25.

And just FYI - there isn't a person on earth who can legally order a cop to write a citation. Period.

Yes There is He Is Called The Chief of Police.

The Sun Was In Her Eyes.That Was The Outcome Of The Investigation...

You are dead wrong. If the Chief ordered a cop to write a specific citation for speeding, the cop would be within his rights to refuse. No one has that authority. Period. Could he make your life miserable? Sure, in other ways - like giving you a crap assignment, if it doesn't violate seniority somehow - but he has no legal enforceable authority to give that order.

There are, in fact, only two people who can order a cop to make an arrest - a judge, and the head of a polling place. There is no one who can legally order a cop to write a citation. It is completely and totally up to the discretion of the cop.

You are right about one thing - that accident would have happened if she had been going 15 MPH. It's hard to see things when you're not looking where you're going.

Hopeful for 30 mph Sanity
The accident on Howard St. didn't occur because someone was travelling safely at 30 mph and paying attention. I don't know what caused that accident, but at 25 mph someone looking at a cell phone will still run someone over or hit a car. At 10 mph, bad things can occur, and do.

30 mph has been the statutory limit for generations and is safe. The slower people travel, the more time they're on the road. The more congested the city gets, the more likely there will be more frustrated drivers and accidents, both. Leave the speed limit at 30 mph.

There are some understandable concerns about lowering the speed limit to 25mph, but "lower speeds = road rage" is the most backwards argument against it that I have ever heard. Lower speeds don't mean more traffic and therefore frustration, they provide a safer atmosphere for everyone. People die every single day from car crashes and speed is a major factor. It is a fact that the lower the speed, the less chance there is for death. This is true for both parties.

What did the Traffic Commission recommend? Although, having read the Mayor's letter of support, I guess I already know.

News flash people, without the correct number of Officers to enforce this new speed limit, nothing will change. If they didn't have the manning to enforce 30 mph, why would 25 mph be any different? Until Dolan properly staffs our PD, don't expect different results.

larry
Yes There is He Is Called The Chief of Police.

I asked my Medford cop buddy, and you're misinformed. NO ONE can order another Officer to write a citation.

Nah
And just FYI - there isn't a person on earth who can legally order a cop to write a citation. Period.

As I said. Now how do you suppose I knew that?