Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Manisha at The Farmers Market

The Sally Frank Market should be free of formal political campaigning. I read on The Farmer's Market page that "Manisha for Melrose" is listed as the Business Vendor on 10-12. This is inappropriate. BOA at Large Candidate, Manisha Bewtra should do the right thing and withdraw from using the Market for her personal political activity.

Re: Manisha at The Farmers Market

Politics Out
The Sally Frank Market should be free of formal political campaigning. I read on The Farmer's Market page that "Manisha for Melrose" is listed as the Business Vendor on 10-12. This is inappropriate. BOA at Large Candidate, Manisha Bewtra should do the right thing and withdraw from using the Market for her personal political activity.

I concur - the Sally Frank Market people should have realized the conflict and certainly Manisha should have had the common sense to know this given her extensive experience in government. Sounds like we have another liberal who thinks the standards don't apply to her - just what we need in Melrose government!!!!

Political Campaigns are not businesses or non-profits. Manisha should admit her mistake and let those who truly deserve it promote themselves.

She lost my vote a while ago. This bunch just can't seem to help themselves.

How exactly does this differ from candidates/organizations buying booths at the Victorian Fair?

Hassan Ben Sober
How exactly does this differ from candidates/organizations buying booths at the Victorian Fair?

The Victorian Fair is run by the Chamber of Commerce and booths can be purchased by anyone including political campaigns. It is different with the Farmer's Market which sells fruits, vegetables, and other such products.....it was not setup to be a political pulpit.

The SFFM offers FREE tables every week. One is designated for a Melrose non-profit/charity and one is offered fo a Melrose Business to help them and to promote the local economy. Manisha's campaign would be getting a "Business" table for FREE (not paying for a booth like at The Victorian Fair......she is probably paying $ 250+ from her political campaign funds to The Chamber for the Victorian table).

All political campaigns should be ineligible to campaign at The Farmer's Market.....I was planning to vote for Manisha but reading this string makes me question her campaign's ethics and makes me question her tactics.

It is up to those who operate the Farmer's Market to make that determination. Manisha seized an opportunity to speak to the residents of Melrose, a wise political move. How is tit her fault? Speak to those who operate the market. Better yet, if you are running for an open position, buy yourself a booth. If they start turning away other political parties, now that is a problem.

The tables at the Market are not for sale. Every week one is given free to a local business and free to a community group....NOT free to politicians. Manisha may be "buying" her way to a political victory by "being one of the boys" but cannot buy a table at Sally Frank's Market. She should not misrepresent herself as the "Business Vendor" on October 12th!

Does this mean that SFFM is now obligated to provide free tables to other politicians under the equal time provision?

Try This On For Size
Does this mean that SFFM is now obligated to provide free tables to other politicians under the equal time provision?

No......this issue should stop NOW! The Farmers Market made a bad decision - don't need to compound with another a bad decision!

The Market is under new management, growing, changing and doing really well this year. They shouldn't have accepted a politician as a business vendor but it was a mistake which can be easily corrected. The BAD DECISION is the "Manisha for Melrose" Campaign's request for a free "business vendor" table. Now that she has been caught, I'm sure Manisha will do the right thing and pullout. The Market is a very special community space and as a City Planner, Manisha should know that it should not be tainted with any political controversy.

She's already shown herself to be the latest to join the Dolan cabal. These people can't even spell "ethical", let alone understand the meaning of the word or it's implications. That should be obvious by now. They think they can do whatever the heck they want. Bad enough this one is running - we also have to deal with that shrew McAndrew running too.

Politics Out

Manisha's name is still listed as the business vendor on October12th.
Hopefully it will be rectified ASAP.

Happy with Monica she is what Melrose needs. Keep up the good work.