Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Melrose Needs Credible Thinking Candidates to Pull Papers

Looking at the line-up of SC and BOA candidates to date, it's increasingly clear that Melrose will be no better off with some of the challengers than with the cast of Go-Along-To-Get-Along incumbents, in fact in some cases likely worse.

Several have listed their affiliations with the mayor's and superintendent's committees and focus groups, as if these are good things, when in fact they are red flags to those who see such alliances as indications of sycophants lining up to get some personal power while they allow the One True "Leader" to sell the best interests of the community down the RD river. Some are clearly looking to become the next Clark, even if they haven't yet changed their hair color and style to match Liz W. Some are riding on the OCR bandwagon, but not really, since they aren't actually about addressing the obvious deep problems (except in the most superficial fashion), promoting diversity or independent thinking but are still falling neatly in line with the RD mentality. Some are trying to garner the arch-right-wingers, dog-whistling the Trump-ites without actually admitting it since even they know how horrible their PutinPuppetNutjob-in-Chief has proven himself to be though they are still firmly wedded to their lightly veiled "Make America Great" agenda.

There's already more than one MEF board member candidate running, McAndrew (fanatic leader of the failed override) for SC and Lipper-Garabedian (pictures herself in PR between Dolan and Brodeur) for BOA
http://melroseedfoundation.org/who-we-are/
kateformelrose.com
https://www.facebook.com/McAndrew4MelroseSchools/

The Dolan agenda might be cloaked by such candidates, but it should be patently clear to any vaguely discerning resident.

What's most telling is that basically only a couple of the new candidates have shown their faces at SC or BoA meetings, and then never in any consistent way, showing up only for their particular pet peeve or to "show the flag" when CT or Driscoll calls them in to put forward their canned message and pre-scripted question cards or just when they're pulling papers and trying to demonstrate how "committed" they are to serving, when in fact they are never present when it actually counts, like when the budget or water & sewer rates are being discussed/voted, or when there are other critically important issues in the meeting packets that basically none (including those sitting in the half shell) have read. Watch who they picture themselves with (to prove to us what "collegial" "collaborators" they are. It's actually pathetic. If you're running for BOA, why haven't you been at meetings demanding that the public receive full explanations with regard to the Cemetery scandal concerning the mayor's godfather and Chief of Staff/Cemetery Superintendent? Why haven't you stood up to fight for fair water/sewer rates? If you're running for SC, why haven't you been there asking actively about all the violations of the law committed by the current administration or what this has cost students and taxpayers? Just for starters.... If you don't have the courage to stand up when there is obvious, egregious wrongdoing, why should citizens trust that you will have any backbone or actual concern if elected? (This doesn't apply to those like Julie D who have actually stood up when it counted!)

Please, please, smart caring citizens of Melrose, step up and pull papers while you still can!

Re: Melrose Needs Credible Thinking Candidates to Pull Papers

When is the deadline to pull papers to run? Incumbents Conn and Margolis have yet to do so. Political affiliations don't seem to matter at any level of government. Current elected officials will not risk putting themselves on the line except on a rare occasion. People need to ask candidates specifically when/where they will question the status quo and on what issues will they truly show leadership. Anyone who is pro Taymore will not get my vote.

Taxpayer & Resident has it correct about these candidates for office. Nice to see that some people have this all figured out. However, we still need good citizens who want change to step up and run - please - if you have the inclination - pull papers soon and run - you will have my vote!

Sick of Complacency
Taxpayer & Resident has it correct about these candidates for office. Nice to see that some people have this all figured out. However, we still need good citizens who want change to step up and run - please - if you have the inclination - pull papers soon and run - you will have my vote!

If you are sick of complacency and want people to step up and run, why not you?

"If you are sick of complacency and want people to step up and run, why not you?"

This is the typical and predictable line from those who minimize the problems actively and propagandize. Not everyone can run for office for a lot of legitimate reasons, and just because someone does not run for office does not mean they have no right to write/speak about the problems. If Melrose actually cared about its actual problems, there would be a roster of strong and caring candidates for every election, not just those seeking personal aggrandizement like those who run typically in Melrose.

The original poster has done a good job explaining their concerns. It is clear to me, that they are visibly upset with the status quo.

I am not that far apart from their thinking, but want to remind everyone that constantly berating the BoA or SC will only result in those bodies continuing to ignore the issues and those doing the complaining.

More importantly, understanding timing and having tact is most important.

I believe the public comment portion of the open meeting law does not adequaetly allow for proper discussion of issues, especially when the members can't respond. The alternative that we have is to write emails or corner them at an event or the grocery store.

None of the presented options for conversation really allow for understanding of the issues being presented. And still, more frieghtening, some of the issues demand that current sitting members clean out the skeletons in their closets.

I did the email route and public comment back in 2015 and 2016. Made no difference at the end of the day.

So, if you're wondering why some candidates (and I can't speak for everyone) attend, but don't speak up, it is because they are waiting for the right time and place to take action. Part of that right time, requires actually getting voted on. And in order to do that, actually requires running. The other part requires having tact and knowing how to build concensus. That latter part is difficult when one is constantly aggressive.

Politics isn't about just yelling. Sometimes it is about getting along with others in order to drive change.

I am looking forward to doing just that.

This person reveals much about himself, and it's not good.

"I am not that far apart from their thinking, but want to remind everyone that "constantly berating the BoA or SC will only result in those bodies continuing to ignore the issues and those doing the complaining."

A number of the brave souls who have brought their issues before the SC or BOA have done so in consistently respectful fashion. They are generally paid lip service (BOA) in terms of respectful treatment in response, and then ignored. The SC doesn't bother with such niceties and is "constantly aggressive" to anyone who has an alternate view, no matter how nicely the matter is put, and to suggest otherwise is to demonstrate profound ignorance of the open contempt that body (and the mayor/his cronies) considers standard operating procedure. But then he wouldn't have a clue about their standard operating procedure because he never attends meetings, never speaks in public participation (even when there is egregious wrongdoing), and has probably never ventured into any of the meeting packets.

"And in order to do that [get votes passed], actually requires running."

That is not how it is in places where a civilized and democratic process actually exists (which it does not, except on paper, in Melrose). There are plenty of communities where it's possible to gain consensus and get things done (and votes passed) as a citizen bringing forward well-constructed initiatives. In Melrose that only happens with the canned MEF crowd getting their concerns addressed because they are all totally in the bag with the chair, the superintendent, and most on the committee, so basically they get what they want nearly all the time (and hence do not need to be in opposition, except to those like CKK or GM whom they attack viciously and routinely because they threatened their status quo).

"The other part requires having tact and knowing how to build consensus. That latter part is difficult when one is constantly aggressive. Politics isn't about just yelling. Sometimes it is about getting along with others in order to drive change."

This is the rationale that shows the true colors of this candidate who has clearly drunk the koolaid and is part of the sick culture here. Melrose has a small but dedicated cadre of brave souls who speak up quite politely and some even in complete sentences but who are treated quite appallingly nonetheless. Labeling the minority voices as "constantly aggressive" demonstrates the institutionalized scorn that this candidate already buys into. "tact" in this case is just a euphemism for more going along to get along, not for real diplomatic skill (which certain minority voices have/had in great supply but which was not welcomed or treated respectfully in any form by this administration regardless).

"I am looking forward to doing just that." No, this candidate is most likely to talk somewhat politically correctly (and too much) and then hide in the shadows of those keeping the real dialogue shut down because that, after all, might involve having to listen, really listen with open mind (and maybe even heart/conscience) to those who might have reason (or those who don't have reason but still rights to be heard) to be critical or reflect concerns that might be messy, as real democracy most certainly is.

Agree with "not exactly" and the original poster. PN already thinks he knows it all, thinks he can be an effective SC member. That's because his mentality is as superficial and ignorant (and arrogant) as those who are already serving. He'll fit right in. He won't have any trouble at all raising his hand and rubber-stamping with the rest of them, which he'll call "being diplomatic" and not "aggressive."

He "wants to remind everyone that "constantly berating the BoA or SC will only result in those bodies continuing to ignore the issues and those doing the complaining." The SC and BOA do not need any excuse to "ignore the issues." They do that quite naturally and without provocation. They have real talent in this regard. They have a whole structure institutionalized for bypassing the real issues and regarding anyone who brings those underlying actual issues to their attention as "complaining."

Read PN's ignorant posts, particularly about the schools (staggeringly ignorant!) already in plentiful evidence on FB, and it's clear that he is a perfect fit for Driscoll and Taymore and Dolan and the MEF Mean Girls.
Yuck! Feh! Go Away! More of this is exactly what Melrose does NOT need!

"how to build concensus"

Just what Melrose School Committee needs, another ignoramus who doesn't know what CONSENSUS is or how to spell it. Maybe he can teach the superintendent how to use spell-check before she publishes her documents or sends them home with students (who would be marked down for such things!).

This thread is funny. I don't know much about the people running. Fairly new to Melrose. Don't quite get Melrose Messages, but seems like an outlet for general miscontempt and ranting.

I find it funny though that people complaining aren't running. And someone who is, has a fairly docile response and in return gets ripped apart. If you care, run yourself.

The schools concern me. We have children that will be going in and the school system was attractive. Reading this board makes it sound like a sinking ship.

I applaud anyone willing to identify on an anonymous board. Ballsy.

"The schools concern me. We have children that will be going in and the school system was attractive. Reading this board makes it sound like a sinking ship."

How about reading the actual facts about this school system, instead of what the PR company Guilfoil has whitewashed (at taxpayer expense) or what the realtors would have you believe? What utter foolishness! "attractive" indeed! There aren't oars made that could right this ship with the corrupt and incompetent people running it!

Good Grief!
"The schools concern me. We have children that will be going in and the school system was attractive. Reading this board makes it sound like a sinking ship."

How about reading the actual facts about this school system, instead of what the PR company Guilfoil has whitewashed (at taxpayer expense) or what the realtors would have you believe? What utter foolishness! "attractive" indeed! There aren't oars made that could right this ship with the corrupt and incompetent people running it!

Pray tell. You ask for me to read real facts. Surely thats not on here. Should I check infowars? I agree that realtors talk it up. Where does someone that moved in 6 months ago go?

"Good Grief." Must be Redumblican.

Trolls. The whole lot of you.

Doughboy needs to be removed forceably.
Mortyfied needs to retire.
Wright is generally wrong.
Infuriating is a failure.
Conn is a con.
Zwacky is a baffoon.
Moneyica is an idiot.
Lemmerwoman should go back to being a house wife
Tramoneynazi is checked out.
Bossie is a drunk
Forbes is persona nongrata.

Paymore Taymore is a ******
Drillsco thinks she high and mighty
Grande-Venti loves charters
Casketelli doesnt care
Boobgan does whatever Grande-Venti does
DeSl-him is a monster
Eddie is a convict
Doughboy shoudlnt even be on it.

Theres your real facts. Fire everyone. Bring in new blood. If the guy above does poorly fire him too.

Something has to change.

Clever, Rich. Repug--absolutely not. Troll not.

The original poster was totally spot on. PN has some okay ideas and probably sang Kumbaya with the rest of the candle-holders. Nothing wrong with opposing the fascists and nazis (Melrose has more Drumpf supporters/sympathizers than it would care to admit). He probably thinks he has looked into the issues. This doesn't make him credible when it comes to water & sewer issues (he was MIA for all those meetings and certainly has never demonstrated an iota of understanding about them). Lining himself up in photo ops with those who are the cause of the problems certainly does not increase his credibility. PN is not credible when it comes to the schools, especially when he takes aim (veiled but way too obvious) at the very individuals who have been taking on the SC and BOA with the truth, the facts, with consistent and persistent efforts for more than a decade, individuals who have worked harder than he'll ever know the meaning of, fighting for his kid, everyone's kids. His words were directly insulting and demonstrate how little he actually understands about all that is and all that has transpired. Maybe he might reach out to those who actually do know and understand the facts if he's serious about finding a path to solutions. That might demonstrate some integrity and gumption and earn him some cred. If he continues to take the easy path with snide insults to those fighting the actual fight or content himself with photo ops alongside the proven hypocrites, he doesn't deserve credibility or votes.

At least in Ward 3 it’s reassuring to see that Julie DeLillo has taken out papers to run as Alderman against Frank Wright. Julie was a founder of the Melrose Taxpayer Alliance that was the main force in the defeat of the override (amazing how the naysayers thought the city wouldn’t survive without it. Clearly someone who can "bring something to the table" for the benefit of concerned citizens.

Julie should research Wright's attendance records. He misses 1/3 to 1/2 of the Melrose BOA meetings because they conflict with the City of Somerville's schedule. As a City Solicitor in Somerville, he must skip Melrose meetings which cheats Ward 3 citizens of representation.

The Town Crier
At least in Ward 3 it’s reassuring to see that Julie DeLillo has taken out papers to run as Alderman against Frank Wright. Julie was a founder of the Melrose Taxpayer Alliance that was the main force in the defeat of the override (amazing how the naysayers thought the city wouldn’t survive without it. Clearly someone who can "bring something to the table" for the benefit of concerned citizens.

Julie DeLillo made the front page of today's Melrose Weekly News! It's great that she is running for a seat on the BOA! Julie will ask questions and confront issues. I am so tired of watching BOA meetings and seeing most of the politicians just sit there and rarely open their mouths. No guts or courage to put themselves on the line. The Charter Review was a farce, the SC is dysfunctional and the "go along to get along" elected reps are reprehensible. I can't vote for Julie since I don't live in Ward 3 but we are rooting for her to disrupt the status quo!

DeLillo would be an asset to the BOA. There was a time when the Board of Aldermen consisted of some of the best talent in the city. Today, unfortunately, too many are working 60 hours a week with little time with their families. Unfortunately, spending additional hours at City Hall twice a week requires a commitment that few are probably willing to make. Meanwhile, with some exceptions, Conn, Forbes,and Medeiros we pay a price for their absence.
"Now is the time for good talent to come to the aid of their city". Remember, Charles D. Baker was once a Selectman in Swampscott.

For as much flak as John Dunne and Bob Snow often took, we could use a few of each of them on the BOA and SC right now!

Geezer
For as much flak as John Dunne and Bob Snow often took, we could use a few of each of them on the BOA and SC right now!

Ditto! The current makeup of the SC is pathetic! Only thse who push the status quo want to be on it! Bad of us and bad for our kids!

So happy my kids are out of the MPS and my grandchildren attend the Charter School. My wife and I will not vote for any bonding measures or tax increases except for a police and fire station complex.