Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forbes for Mayor

Just read the Events and Adventures group. Interesting to read the recent posts encouraging Scott Forbes to run for Mayor.
I would vote for Scott. I won't vote for MM, JT or MZ.

Re: Forbes for Mayor

Scott was the only official who inquired about ‘transparency’ in a recent Department head hire. He has demonstrated to many of the ‘rank & file’ to be a man of honor & integrity which would be a Welcome change to City Hall based on events of late.

Probably too early to declare, but we would definitely support Alderman Forbes if he happens to be on the ballot for Mayor. He is engaged in neighborhood and and represents our ward extremely well.

He has always taken the time to discuss issues surrounding the city, and speaks in simple terms which is something you dont get from our present day public figures.

Scott would be an ideal candidate, and would serve Melrose well.

SF acts professionally, questions and speaks consistently. We do not need anyone who lies or is a kiss up to be elected our next Mayor.

Good guy I'm sure like his dad who I knew well. But and it's a big but, he needs to step out from under the alderman umbrella and create actions toward solutions. Nobody does that -- and it shows.

A little research can go a long way - Forbes voted NO on the override a few years ago, voted NO against the name change from Alderman to City Council, originally voted NO on the creation of the Commission on Women - saying he was concerned the group could become politically slanted if it didn't include women with different points of view (how correct was that statement?), was against turning Melrose into a sanctuary city, voted NO on the appointment of the new Fire Chief (see other thread), and was in favor of removing the Mayor from the School Committee. All of his explanations were clear and precise, not combative or divisive. He would get my vote.

I know it is early, but inquiring minds want to know if SF is considering a run.

I watched the meeting last night about the 3 bond projects, water and sewer budgets, setting the rates, and reserves. He was well versed in these areas and acknowledged that changes need to be made to the current rate structure if any relief is going to come back to the rate payers. Amen!

SF openly spoke about Melrose having some of the highest rates in the MWRA without being pressured to do so - and although the past 2 years have resulted in minimal to no increase in the rates, we should not be satisfied. I give him credit for that, as the Administration would NEVER bring this tidbit of information up in a public forum. He talked about investing more in our infrastructure, in addition to the proposed MWRA bond projects - using the retained earnings collected from each of the enterprise funds to pay for it. SF also talked about restructuring base fees to align them with actual costs incurred by the city ***An important topic of discussion, as more accurate base fees will lower volumetric rates down to where they actually should be***

Hey, I welcome ANYBODY that comes to the table with solutions to our ongoing water and sewer rates. Alderman Forbes appears to have done his homework and was able to come forward with some options that could improve the ongoing mess we are currently in.

He could start by stopping the City from paying over $2,000,000.00 from the enterprise fund for cityside salaries that have nothing to do with water and sewer. That is absolutely outrageous, and comes as close to outright theft as anything else this City does, and for the life of me I can't understand why the B of A goes along with it.

I spoke to Scott this week on some neighborhood issues, which lead to citywide issues. WOW, he definitely does NOT drink the kool-aid, when it comes to this Administration and the concerns facing our community. Very honest and forthright with his words. I would 100% support him if he ever decided to make a run for mayor.

Reach out and get to know Mr. Forbes, he is good for Melrose!!!!

Mike Zwirko has disappointed me deeply. He put on a good show of wanting a change in Melrose's government culture when he initially ran and spoke to people in person, but it turned out to be a show. He wants to *seem* like a good government guy, but not take the risks that would be entailed by actually doing that at City Hall. Unless he demonstrates some sudden substance, I'd have to label him a Big Faker.

I would support Forbes . The trouble comes when he's forced to give up his career because of that stupid charter that was hand written for Dolan. That may be asking too much of anyone who would make a good Mayor .

Zwirko is an empty suit who thinks he's not.

DRAIN THE MELROSE SWAMP...Forbes for Mayor!!

Forbes and the new guy who replaced Gail in Ward 5 are the only ones who seem to care about fire and police.

Agreed
I would support Forbes . The trouble comes when he's forced to give up his career because of that stupid charter that was hand written for Dolan. That may be asking too much of anyone who would make a good Mayor .

Zwirko is an empty suit who thinks he's not.
The Charter Review was a farce chaired by Zwirko who did what Dolan told him to do. Zwirko needs to grow up. He may be able to keep his BOA seat but will never be elected Mayor.

SF voted in favor to remove the mayor as a member of the school committee during the charter review sessions. His explanation was spot on, saying it may actually be difficult for other members to vote against the Administration when the Mayor staring across the room as a voting member! Infurna was the deciding vote to pass the school budget this year, just imagine if she was not on that committee.... the budget probably would have been sent back to her.

Melrose Free Press has an online article posted about the Bill Forbes Scholarship handing out two $5,000 scholarships to MHS grads with connections to the local veteran community. A must read, and a great tribute to Scott's father ( a great man who did so much for Melrose).

The Forbes family are a class act. Scott would be an excellent choise for Mayor, bringing leadership and the steady hand this city desperately needs. Everyone in our neighborhood would love to see him run!

Ward 1
SF voted in favor to remove the mayor as a member of the school committee during the charter review sessions. His explanation was spot on, saying it may actually be difficult for other members to vote against the Administration when the Mayor staring across the room as a voting member! Infurna was the deciding vote to pass the school budget this year, just imagine if she was not on that committee.... the budget probably would have been sent back to her.
That's exactly the point. Having the Mayor as a voting SC member totally violates any concept of checks and balances. But once again, it was included because Dolan wanted the final word on everything. There is no way any member of any other branch of government should be on the SC. This entire mess is on Dolan's head, and where is he now? Sucking down a big salary in Lynnfield and laughing his a$$ off.

Wicked Local
Melrose Free Press has an online article posted about the Bill Forbes Scholarship handing out two $5,000 scholarships to MHS grads with connections to the local veteran community. A must read, and a great tribute to Scott's father ( a great man who did so much for Melrose).

The Forbes family are a class act. Scott would be an excellent choise for Mayor, bringing leadership and the steady hand this city desperately needs. Everyone in our neighborhood would love to see him run!

Wow, what a great article! A great way for Scott and his family to pay tribute to their dad - awarding 20K in scholarships over 2 years says a lot about their values and giving back to the community. I would definitely recommend anyone reading this to go onto the Melrose Free Press home page and take a look.

I knew Bill Forbes personally, and he would definitely be proud of the work being done in his name.

Total class, Forbes family!

Yes, yes, and yes!!!!

Would 100 percent support the candidacy of Scott Forbes for Mayor. He gets it, and would move Melrose in the right direction.

Lifelong resident, decorated military career, and 3 term Alderman that is a free thinker.

Melrose needs a fresh start, and SF is what this city needs!

I spoke to SF this week and is on the record saying any override should be decided by the incoming Mayor after the election in November 2019.

"Let the new Mayor come in, open up the books and make the determination for themselves on whether our next steps moving forward require an override or a reorganization of the operating budget."

Amen! Finally a person not afraid to straight talk and be candid on the issues facing our community.

Lines will be drawn soon forcing people to pick sides. I will be on SF's side.

Can anyone here name ONE THING Scott has accomplished as an alderman? Touring a few buildings does not count. I’m talking actual accomplishments - things he has passed, changes he has made in his role in city government. Let’s think critically here people, we have enough empty suits already to be elevating one to the top.

Alderman Forbes certainly has accomplished little, if anything, in his years on the Water and Sewer Committee. I agree with the previous post.

Simple minded
I spoke to SF this week and is on the record saying any override should be decided by the incoming Mayor after the election in November 2019.

"Let the new Mayor come in, open up the books and make the determination for themselves on whether our next steps moving forward require an override or a reorganization of the operating budget."

Amen! Finally a person not afraid to straight talk and be candid on the issues facing our community.

Lines will be drawn soon forcing people to pick sides. I will be on SF's side.
Do you think Zwirko will agree? Ask Mike to request a Forensic Audit. He is on the record for pushing the schools only Override in the Spring of 2019. Zwirko’s “Leadership” on the Charter Review broke laws and backfired in numerous ways. He is aligning himself with the MEF Mommie brigade and State Senate wannabe, “Big Personality” ”Hammar Time” ! Dolan gave a speech at his Mexico Lindo Campaign fundraiser, too. With Rob and Sam on his side, Mike will be lucky to keep a seat on the BOA. I won’t vote for any candidate for Mayor who supports a “Schools only Override” 6 months before the November 2019 election.

Melrose needs a cleansing flush.

No Override.

No MZ or Sam H and most of the current officials, starting with the entire school committee NEED TO BE VOTED OUT. They have failed over and over again. They are as corrupt (and incompetent) as the departed but still in charge mayor.

For a well-heeled community like Melrose, where so many have so much, there really is no excuse for the rampant ignorance and support of abusive officials who have proven over and over again what they really represent. But then so many seem to think that these dressed-up bullies are not only acceptable but actually good. Here in Melrose college-educated voters rally around bullying lying menaces like Driscoll, McAndrew, Wright, Dellarusso, Mortimer, for starters....

Sure, let's throw some more "pot(s) of money" (true SC lingo for their annual secret Administrative Raise Fest that the SC throws for itself when everyone is at the beach) at an administration that actually REWARDS a superintendent who didn't fire the 8th-grade teacher who told her only black student to "go back to the plantation," along with a host of other state and federal crimes. This school administration could literally shoot someone, to use a horrible metaphor, and still be rewarded by the school committee, the BOA, and the throngs of willfully gullible parents.

Too many here need their fairy tales of Make Melrose Great Again. These nicely dressed irresponsible Melrosians (Yes, Kate, you are at the head of this line) not only prefer the lies, they are openly dealing them, and the gullible young parents are eagerly shooting up. The falsehoods are easily countered with truth (Mr. Mroz presents the truth every week faithfully despite the open abuse by officials), but the huckster officials just keep hawking their silly charts to the willfully stupid public. Patrick holds up for the camera, for the BOA and SC in front of him, and for the incredibly dumb public "audience" his insulting little pie charts and points his slimy fingers accusingly at all who might dare to doubt his "strictly legal) (NOT) fabrications. How on earth does this man not get fired summarily??? He is so obviously as big a liar as DT, and every bit as slimy besides.

Well, just keep lapping it up, Melrose parents and dumb voters. This is apparently all Melrose deserves. Time to make a red cap just for your special brand of idiocy.

Not Zwirko
Simple minded

\"Let the new Mayor come in, open up the books and make the determination for themselves on whether our next steps moving forward require an override or a reorganization of the operating budget.\"

Lines will be drawn soon forcing people to pick sides. I will be on SF\'s side.
Do you think Zwirko will agree? Ask Mike to request a Forensic Audit. He is on the record for pushing the schools only Override in the Spring of 2019. Zwirko’s “Leadership” on the Charter Review broke laws and backfired in numerous ways. He is aligning himself with the MEF Mommie brigade and State Senate wannabe, “Big Personality” ”Hammar Time” ! Dolan gave a speech at his Mexico Lindo Campaign fundraiser, too. With Rob and Sam on his side, Mike will be lucky to keep a seat on the BOA. I won’t vote for any candidate for Mayor who supports a “Schools only Override” 6 months before the November 2019 election.
Yea and those are just the tip of the iceberg on MZs issues. Lots more under the surface there that is troubling. .

I also would vote for Forbes - Zwirko is definitely part of the "go-along to get-along" crowd. At least Forbes has shown some spine!

Forbes May be the least incompetent and objectionable of all the current Aldermen, but his inability and unwillingness to confront things on the Water and Sewer Committee, which has been his responsibility for years now, don’t encourage me. I hope someone new and truly competent, with true guts and insight, comes out of the woodwork.

Completely agree. It’s easy to look like the least objectionable when you have stayed inactive and just talk a good game. But a do nothing mayor is not what melrose needs.

And Zwirko is a liability to himself and this town. The number of skeletons he has stuffed in the closet is going to get harder and harder to hide.

We need new blood for Melrose!

Zwirko is a liability to himself and this town. We need new blood for Melrose!

Sam Hammar will lose to Jason Lewis. Sam Hammar will run for State Rep, if Brodeur runs for Mayor. If Brodeur stays in the Legislature, Sam Hammar will run for Mayor of Melrose. Sam Hammar worked against Zwirko in the last BOA race. Sam is for women candidates only. Sam, are you planting rumored “Skeletons” against MZ just like you “alleged” that Lewis had “Skeletons” and that no elected dems/elected women were backing Jason Lewis which is far from true. Active Melrose Dems are wondering. Zwirko has endorsed Hammar which is a big mistake. He thinks that will buy him the young family voters who are advocating for MPS funds. MZ can’t even run the Charter Review or the BOA well. He is not ready for prime time Mayoral duties!

Hammer is NOT the new blood I am talking about. She isn’t elected but is already part of the established problem here. She is wasting her time with this campaign but that is her choice. Also she does not need to plant rumors about Lewis and Zwirko. They take care of that themselves with their actions.