Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Budget

Who watched that train wreck of an alderman meeting last night? No discussion as they passed another budget with little critical thought. Icing on the cake was the inept moderation of the voting process! Seems Zwirko does not understand the rules or have any real grasp of the job he is doing (probably why they took an unprecedented move to go back on their vote for president to stop him from being mayor). In the middle of the meeting, he realizes the whole process as he led it was done wrong and they had to go back and do it all again! Complete incompetence as a chairman.

Re: Budget

Didn’t watch BOA meeting. I just did see Melrose Patch report that Gail is going to run “Community Conversations” regarding an Override for the mismanaged MPS. Zwirko is holding a gathering on Thursday night at Mexico Lindo to push his support for School Override. Mike is not ready to be Mayor and has a conflict of interest with the job he “bought” from Dolan for his wife in the planning department. No override on anything should happen until the 2020 City Election. Every pol running needs to spell out their plans for all departments not just the schools. The schools override will fail if held this year by itself. Then there will be no chance in hell for any Override on any question to pass in 2020. The current Mayoral debacle was rushed and the voters had no say. We do not need GI leading the way on any Override push. She is incapable and will only be pushed around by Dolan and his sycophantic minions.

The next city election is in 2019, which will include the mayor's position.

The next vote will be for an override in the spring of 2019. Then the elected positions including mayor in fall of 2019 as you state.

No surprise about MZ. He’s worse than an empty suit. He’s an empty suit who thinks he’s gods gift to Melrose. Heard he’s prone to temper tantrums and has trouble telling the truth.

Re: Budget -$14,000 to remove feathers in gym??

It cost 14 k to remove the painted feathers on the M from the gym floor at the high school? And we need an override? Insight? Anyone?

Maybe it was an honest mistake. Possibly it was put out to bid and they took the highest price, in error!

Huh???
It cost 14 k to remove the painted feathers on the M from the gym floor at the high school? And we need an override? Insight? Anyone?
How much will it cost to replace all of those useless banners in the gym that were put there to make EVERY team feel good, not just the champions? I believe they all have the feathered M. Idiots

I don't give a dame.

I am not sure what kind of discussion you were anticipating last night, but everything was talked about at legnth in the committee meetings. Last night was a formality, as every order came out of committee with a recommnedation for passage. I wasnt antipating any heated debates last night, were you?

Agreed, the structure of the meeting was completely unorganized. Not a meeting MZ wants to remember, Im sure. Highlight of the evening was the resolution recognizing the middle school students and our veteran services here in the city. SF does a good job with that.

SF voted NO on the override in 2015, which I was happy to hear about. He has walked through the 3 fire stations and the police station to witness the terrible conditions for himself, which in turn puts pressure on the city to discuss the results of the public safety building report that was completed last year.

I think SF wants to keep the fire and police building part of the conversation, and not let the school debate suck all the air out of the room. Will be interesting to see what happens in the months ahead. If there was any bright spot in this years budget talks he would be my choice.

And once again, Mr. Mroz came before the Board and once again made perfect sense. Yes, I know he can be hard to listen to sometimes - people who while speaking say "um" all the time drive me a little nuts - but his knowledge and understanding of the water and sewer system is top notch. It's clear he knows more about it than any of the Board Members, and his point last night - that keeping 10% reserves for each is ridiculous - is spot on. Those dollars should be applied now to correction of existing problems, rather than sitting there earning nothing and accomplishing nothing. Why kick the can further down the road and it costs twice as much when there are funds available to address at least some issues right now? Add to that the surcharges we get hit with and it makes even less fiscal sense. Mr. Mroz is exactly what we need right now - someone who understands the problem and is willing to shine a light on them. Who cares if he's "popular" or not, if he's right? What is this, Junior High?

Election and Override
Didn’t watch BOA meeting. I just did see Melrose Patch report that Gail is going to run “Community Conversations” regarding an Override for the mismanaged MPS. Zwirko is holding a gathering on Thursday night at Mexico Lindo to push his support for School Override. Mike is not ready to be Mayor and has a conflict of interest with the job he “bought” from Dolan for his wife in the planning department. No override on anything should happen until the 2020 City Election. Every pol running needs to spell out their plans for all departments not just the schools. The schools override will fail if held this year by itself. Then there will be no chance in hell for any Override on any question to pass in 2020. The current Mayoral debacle was rushed and the voters had no say. We do not need GI leading the way on any Override push. She is incapable and will only be pushed around by Dolan and his sycophantic minions.
The 2019 November election is the only responsible time for Override decisions. The Fire and Police Stations, Schools and DPW infrastructure projects all need money. Holding an Override election in the Spring of 2019 for the MPS only will cost money and put off a comprehensive discussion of what Melrose needs. Candidates for elective office will be forced to stop playing games and put themselves on the line.

Sort of
The next vote will be for an override in the spring of 2019. Then the elected positions including mayor in fall of 2019 as you state.

No surprise about MZ. He’s worse than an empty suit. He’s an empty suit who thinks he’s gods gift to Melrose. Heard he’s prone to temper tantrums and has trouble telling the truth.
I have heard he has other problems as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a certain popular hashtag reckoning in his future