Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Supremes Union Decision

I am a former member of a public sector union, retired. Above all else, unions exist to ensure workers are treated fairly.

The Illinois law the Supremes just struck down forced all public sector employees to pay a fee to the unions, even if they are not union members, which was patently unfair to those workers. Fair is fair, and what's right is right. I agree with the decision.

Re: The Supremes Union Decision

Well that's refreshing. I completely agree. It's just plain wrong.

Here's a thought. If politicians were prohibited from taking money from special interest groups and corporations - being bought and paid for - unions wouldn't need so much money to advocate for their members and argue their positions.

The vote should of been 9 to 0 in favor of the travel ban. It went 4 to 5 the liberal Justice did not up hold the vote. A win for President Trump on Making America Safe Again.

Can't understand why some people have such trouble staying on-topic. What does the travel ban have to do with the union decision? Start a new string for that if you want. Unbelievable.

I also agree with the Supremes. I’m all in favor of private sector unions, but public sector unions make no sense at all. Certainly members should not be forced to join and pay dues. I don’t think they should exist at all. Collective bargaining against ourselves is ridiculous and fertile ground for corruption.

I totally agree with the decision the other day. As a union member I was appalled to hear members forcing the union to vote for Hillary.

The teachers union is usually for the democrat party but no one should be forced to vote for a candidate.

One more time - I can't understand why some people have such trouble staying on-topic. What does voting for Hillary or anybody else have to do with this decision? Start a new string for that if you want. This string is about a Supreme Court ruling ending the practice of forcing non-union people to pay fees to unions.