Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What happened?

Why was Melrose Messages not working for 3 months?

Re: What happened?

I think it hit its limit for posting, and the previous "owners" didn't care to invest any more $$ into it.

The prior "owner" died suddenly. When it reached it's limit, there was no one to remove older posts to free up space, which had happened a few times before that.

Speaking of which - I posted on the Melrose Community Group Facebook page that this site was back up and running. What do you think happened? I was immediately kicked off the site. It doesn't show up anywhere in my feed, and I can't even find it if I search Facebook. I have been totally censored. Imagine that. The Dolan Doctrine appears to be alive and well in dear old Melrose, and they are still scared to death of this site. I guess there are still a lot of skeletons in that closet.

Not open to all you need permission to post.This group is 100% run and maintained by unpaid, Melrose community members. It has no direct connection with any government agencies***

This group is for Melrose residents to crowd source. It's not a yard sale or a place to advertise unsolicited but a resource and a way to help neighbors and get help when you need it.

MELROSE COMMUNITY GROUP RULES

Before posting check this list:
- Is it relevant for Melrosians?
- Do thousands of people need to see this?
- Will posting here help me get a solution?
If not, perhaps your post is better suited to your own FB page.
All posts are approved by the group admins.

GENERAL GROUP RULES

SEARCH before you post.

Businesses MUST be connected to Melrose directly AND only post on Fridays.

Be kind. Spirited, thoughtful discussion is fine. Insults, name calling, scolding, swearing at people, rudeness, and general trolling are not allowed.

Singling out people or businesses with complaints is discouraged. Admins will use discretion when allowing posts about issues you may be having with local businesses, etc
Do not comment on the relevance of a post.
The admins have determined relevance prior to approval.

This is NOT a yard sale group. We do not allow the selling or giving away of items (with few exceptions). We DO allow yard sale announcements.

Homes for sale/rent-Owners only. NO realtors may post listings except for FRIDAYS.

WHAT IS ALLOWED:
Any post relevant to the community as deemed appropriate by the admins such as events, lost pets, fun stories, questions on services, yard sales (but not specific items), local issues/questions, lost/found items, business posts within guidelines, etc….

What is NOT allowed:
• No op-ed style posts. Save that for your own page.
• No selling or giving away of animals, even for foster care.
• No fake FB accounts, names, etc. All members must use their real names and accounts.
• Discussions devolving into “who has lived in Melrose the longest” when used in a disparaging manner. This does not foster a sense of unity and does not belong in a “community” group. Everyone who lives and works here is part of the community. This topic is taking up too much real estate in this group and is not relevant to almost all discussions.

Gray areas (up to discretion of admins)
• Go Fund Me requests
• Political posts
• Items to give away/seeking items
• Seeking or selling housing by owner/occupant only
• Job listings

This site is actively moderated to maintain civility. The admins reserve the right to remove posts or comments that do not follow the rules or are blatantly hostile and/or offensive or for any reason deemed appropriate by the admins. Admins do not remove posts they disagree with as long as they follow the rules. You may not agree with admins’ decisions regarding posts but yelling at the admins, calling them names, and calling them out directly won’t change their minds and may result in you being banned from the group. They work as a team and agree on all decisions.

Group Type
Neighbors

I didn't violate any of their conditions or post anything controversial, as far as I can tell. All I did was post that Melrose Messages had been resurrected as Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue. Oh, well.....I guess open community dialogue is prohibited.

Hmmm...I can see why some of the stuff posted on the old site would be considered "inappropriate". Some of it was awful. That's the problem with an unmonitored anonymous forum. In any case, I thought they gave you a warning when they pulled a post they ruled "inappropriate", never mind booting you off the site. Someone has a bug in their bonnet, looks like. Strange.

Maybe it would be a good idea for the new "owners" here to consider removing all the legacy posts from the old site - fresh start, so to speak.

That comment has to be a joke. Nobody's that stupid, are they?

How did Patricia Wright die?

It's getting embarrassing for you.Nobody's that stupid, are they?

Jane
How did Patricia Wright die?
Both Ms. Wright and Mr. Snow died as a consequence of serious illness. Please respect their families and their legacies, whether you agreed with them or not. Both were individuals who were passionately committed to making things better for their community. Each of them put themselves forward in word and deed all their lives, honestly fighting for their beliefs. Each of them had hearts of gold and tried with every fiber of their beings to give of themselves to their families and their communities. They each were highly accomplished individuals. They deserve gratitude and respect from Melrose. May they rest in peace.

Melrose
That comment has to be a joke. Nobody's that stupid, are they?
I guess I am. I I don't get what you're referring to.

I think what the poster is trying to say is the Melrose Community page is not a place to post if you have any interest in honest and open discussion about Melrose issues and how to improve our local government and schools. The page is controlled by Melrose cheerleaders who have done immeasurable damage by squashing the facts and open discussion. Improvement comes from acknowledging your mistakes and discussing opportunities for improvement. The Melrose cheerleaders have no interest in improving the system because they will not acknowledge failure or that there IS room for improvement.

For example, if you have anything at all to say about the current sad state of the Melrose school system, or top Melrose officials' complicity with Civil Rights violations, retaliation and coverup operations as determined by the DOE's Office of Civil Rights, and why these complicit school committee members,top school administrators, and city legal department attorneys are still serving in their existing capacities, well, that will not see the light of day.

One way critics get marginalized in public discussion in Melrose is an implied assumption that anyone who is critical of the culture of City Hall and the school administration is a member of a small minority of anti-tax libertarian-ish Melrosians. When in point of fact many people who are critical of that culture are progressive, good-government types who've lived long enough in Melrose to observe deeply rooted patterns on insiderism that is not good government, no matter what Dolanites and realtors might prefer everyone to think.

Part of this comes from the fact that, if you live in Melrose long enough, the likelihood of seeing the underside of government culture here increases significantly. For example, folks on my street and nearby, it came from watching City Hall cover up for a longtime insider who resided on our street (an insider, btw, who was about as anti-progressive as they come in Melrose, mind you). Other longtime residents can share their stories.

The point is, if you raise these things in public, City Hall folks will first try to make sure you are ignored and, if that doesn't work, they will try to find another way to marginalize you. This is a longtime pattern here, and if you're credulous enough to believe the fumes emanating from Mayor Infurna about throwing more coin at the schools represents a solution to the problems of the MPS system, you're not paying attention to subtext.

Very sadly, it's seems that the only hope of changing the culture of insiderism is to refuse to throw more money at them until they have to change or leave. If they insist on trying to hold Melrose students as hostages, don't cooperate with that bluff. The foundational problem of the MPS system is not lack of money.

Concerned Melrosians
One way critics get marginalized in public discussion in Melrose is an implied assumption that anyone who is critical of the culture of City Hall and the school administration is a member of a small minority of anti-tax libertarian-ish Melrosians. When in point of fact many people who are critical of that culture are progressive, good-government types who've lived long enough in Melrose to observe deeply rooted patterns on insiderism that is not good government, no matter what Dolanites and realtors might prefer everyone to think.

Part of this comes from the fact that, if you live in Melrose long enough, the likelihood of seeing the underside of government culture here increases significantly. For example, folks on my street and nearby, it came from watching City Hall cover up for a longtime insider who resided on our street (an insider, btw, who was about as anti-progressive as they come in Melrose, mind you). Other longtime residents can share their stories.

The point is, if you raise these things in public, City Hall folks will first try to make sure you are ignored and, if that doesn't work, they will try to find another way to marginalize you. This is a longtime pattern here, and if you're credulous enough to believe the fumes emanating from Mayor Infurna about throwing more coin at the schools represents a solution to the problems of the MPS system, you're not paying attention to subtext.

Very sadly, it's seems that the only hope of changing the culture of insiderism is to refuse to throw more money at them until they have to change or leave. If they insist on trying to hold Melrose students as hostages, don't cooperate with that bluff. The foundational problem of the MPS system is not lack of money.
You are spot on. Agree 100%.

Melrose has not passed an override in 25 years. What does that matter. That is proof alone that there is no need and never was.