Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Send this Override Overboard!

There is power in numbers.

A group of citizens agreeing to run as a slate for both boards, giving each other the strength and wisdom base (since there is a steep learning curve), would begin to fix things. Melrose does not need more of the current batch of clones. It needs common sense advocates. Certainly there have to be plenty of caring and thoughtful individuals from which to choose in such a community. It's past time for them to step up. It's not enough to complain from the shadows, being afraid "to rock the boat," or any of the other lame excuses too many spout here.

Similarly, citizens need to come together to say no to this freight train called the Override about to steamroll over Melrose in order to line the greedy pockets of administration and do nothing to improve anything. It can be derailed, as similar efforts by some of the same players have been in past years. But citizens have to step up and not stay asleep at the wheel. This campaign has money and might, all of which will be meaningless if citizens demand truth and accountability instead. Send this Override Overboard!

Re: Send this Override Overboard!

Definitely open all your statements by calling the opposition a bunch of clones who lack common sense. That'll go far towards winning support, and really show how different you are from the mean name callers on the yes side.

Yes
Definitely open all your statements by calling the opposition a bunch of clones who lack common sense. That'll go far towards winning support, and really show how different you are from the mean name callers on the yes side.
Both recent overides have received spankings; this will be no different. Unless it’s an override for the cops or firemen, it’s going down.

Box
Yes
Definitely open all your statements by calling the opposition a bunch of clones who lack common sense. That\'ll go far towards winning support, and really show how different you are from the mean name callers on the yes side.
Both recent overides have received spankings; this will be no different. Unless it’s an override for the cops or firemen, it’s going down.
Never said otherwise. Just pointing out that this poster is hardly communicating in a reasonable or approachable manner.

Bunch of whiny no voters have been complaining all over this forum about how mean the yes voters are. Seems worth it to point out yet another example of the no voters being equally douchey.

Folks! As someone who has kept up with school issues for the past 5 years - don't be crazy enough to buy into the phony override request! The current school leadership are corrupt and are only interested in holding their power - particularly the head of the school committee who is only waiting her time to be the next school business manager! I would wait until Taymore and Driscoll leave the system before giving them more money.

Melrose has not passed an override in 25 years. What does that matter. That is proof alone that there is no need and never was.

I don’t understand why the city keeps putting fourth the same override. It will continue to be defeated. The only override that would pass in this city is to build new police and fire stations. When public safety is on the ballot, I will be (for the first time) in the “yes” crowd. Let’s go city hall, get your $hit together.

Fireice
Let’s go city hall, get your $hit together.

You're kidding, right? City Hall is a clusterf***!

Fireice
I don’t understand why the city keeps putting fourth the same override. It will continue to be defeated. The only override that would pass in this city is to build new police and fire stations. When public safety is on the ballot, I will be (for the first time) in the “yes” crowd. Let’s go city hall, get your $hit together.
Probably because not passing the overrides has simply resulted in all of the problems that the overrides were trying to address getting worse.

Eventually we are going to have to do something. We can't just keep pretending that the city budget is fine.

When this one fails, maybe next time we can vote on one twice as big that will have some money for police and fire. That seems to be one of the biggest complaints people have about this override.

Even current YES voters will change their minds when they look at the stock market plummeting daily. “It’s the Economy Stupid” !
People will vote their pocketbooks. The increasing worldwide economic uncertainty is growing. Europe’s Recession is imminent, China’s economy is in big trouble. The insane Trump wants to shut down the government which will cause more damage to everyone. Many Melrosians already cannot afford the Override. The NO votes will increase whenever the WH child tweets, layoffs begin, retirement accounts evaporate and fears of a US recession begin to show.

You turned me yes
Fireice
Probably because not passing the overrides has simply resulted in all of the problems that the overrides were trying to address getting worse.

Eventually we are going to have to do something. We can't just keep pretending that the city budget is fine.

When this one fails, maybe next time we can vote on one twice as big that will have some money for police and fire. That seems to be one of the biggest complaints people have about this override.
Another uneducated voter. Do you realize that in a couple of years, if this override passes, we will be right back in this same situation, only WORSE. If we didn't have puppets and drones running our city, we would not be in this situation to begin with. Our politicians did this to us, not the public (you and i). Squandering of funds and mismanagement have brought a vibrant, thriving city to a fiscal halt.

With the Police/Fire override we will NOT be back in this same position. They are two (maybe three) buildings that will remain. Yes, they require upkeep, but you're paying them a salary or benefits, they're buildings! Teachers salaries, which will be raised under the override, will continue to go up. And again, we will be right back in this current predicament. So you go and vote "yes", but I assure you your efforts are futile, along with all the other city minions. VOTE NO.

fireice
You turned me yes
Fireice

Eventually we are going to have to do something. We can\'t just keep pretending that the city budget is fine.

Another uneducated voter. Do you realize that in a couple of years, if this override passes, we will be right back in this same situation, only WORSE. If we didn't have puppets and drones running our city, we would not be in this situation to begin with. Our politicians did this to us, not the public (you and i). Squandering of funds and mismanagement have brought a vibrant, thriving city to a fiscal halt.

With the Police/Fire override we will NOT be back in this same position. They are two (maybe three) buildings that will remain. Yes, they require upkeep, but you're paying them a salary or benefits, they're buildings! Teachers salaries, which will be raised under the override, will continue to go up. And again, we will be right back in this current predicament. So you go and vote "yes", but I assure you your efforts are futile, along with all the other city minions. VOTE NO.
Did you miss the part where I said when it fails, we should do it with money for police and fire next time... ?

None of your comments address the fact that we keep kicking the can down the road. People keep suggesting overrides because the problem remains. The school budget is a problem that needs fixing, regardless of what we do with police and fire - which also need to be addressed.

I want to bring this to the top seeing as biofreeze is trying to push it down.

Vote NO!!!!!!

One community open to all remember? HuH

What it should really say is One community open to rich people on the east side and poor people who rent and just moved into the country. The rest can gfy.

Its nice that DINKS like the Zwirkos can move here, run for office, and want to change the place to their liking. He's always traveling, not even in the city half the time. But many of us on the west side of the tracks with families, childcare costs, healthcare costs etc., have enough to deal with. They tell us this is how much your taxes will increase this year, but what about the next year and the year after that. Once the override passes there is no stopping them.

I would like to know how many of those educators on the front page of the paper last week actually live in the city. My hunch is not many of them. Unless they have a spouse who makes a good deal more, the alleged increase in pay they'll get with an override will not be enough to allow them to move here either. The middle class is being priced out. Besides, I heard the union "encourages" them to stand out with the signs.

I heard he’s always running off to his beach house and doesn’t spend a single weekend in Melrose except for in the winter. But not to worry, he will be around until the override so he can be here trying to convince the gullible young moms that he’s a good guy who “cares about their kid’s education”.

Mr Zwirko is a fraudulent go-go (good gov't) guy. Talked the talk when running the first time, then happily allowed himself to be assimilated in the Dolanite Borg. I had high hopes. Deeply disappointed.

stan
Its nice that DINKS like the Zwirkos can move here, run for office, and want to change the place to their liking. He's always traveling, not even in the city half the time. But many of us on the west side of the tracks with families, childcare costs, healthcare costs etc., have enough to deal with. They tell us this is how much your taxes will increase this year, but what about the next year and the year after that. Once the override passes there is no stopping them.

I would like to know how many of those educators on the front page of the paper last week actually live in the city. My hunch is not many of them. Unless they have a spouse who makes a good deal more, the alleged increase in pay they'll get with an override will not be enough to allow them to move here either. The middle class is being priced out. Besides, I heard the union "encourages" them to stand out with the signs.
Name calling isn’t nice, but you’re the DINK, stan. Maybe if you cleaned up your side of town we wouldn’t be in this mess. Stop blowing all your money on Keno and Coors Light drafts at Grimsby’s.

Nothing to worry about anyway. I hear he won’t be a DINK much longer if he doesn’t clean up his bad behavior.

What is a DINK ?
Please define because I do not know what this means.

Double Income No Kid

Hey Truther - where's your apology?

There was none. Suddenly there was plenty. Millions of free cash magically shows up every year.