Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pot shops

At the risk of daring think there is more to this towns politics than the override What about the pot shops? Where should they be? Ward 5 hypocrisy in not wanting one there, or fair points about sharing the burdens (though after the initial rush of traffic, most research I've seen suggests they aren't particularly burdensome)?

Re: Pot shops

Individual 1
At the risk of daring think there is more to this towns politics than the override What about the pot shops? Where should they be? Ward 5 hypocrisy in not wanting one there, or fair points about sharing the burdens (though after the initial rush of traffic, most research I've seen suggests they aren't particularly burdensome)?
After being at the meeting last night there were a lot of good points brought across the table.
The ward 5 alderman made it clear it’s not the place to put it! The city has other areas it can go.
So as for you ( Individual 1) blow your smoke elsewhere.

Why are you attacking me? I just asked if they were being hypocrites or raising valid concerns, which are the two sides of the issue that I've seen talked about so far...im personally not a big fan of putting it a few buildings down from little sprouts.

Where the medical one is now makes sense to me.

So maybe you're the one who should blow your smoke elsewhere.

Individual 1
Why are you attacking me? I just asked if they were being hypocrites or raising valid concerns, which are the two sides of the issue that I've seen talked about so far...im personally not a big fan of putting it a few buildings down from little sprouts.

Where the medical one is now makes sense to me.

So maybe you're the one who should blow your smoke elsewhere.
The people of ward 5 are not hypocrites we’re vocal about the area we live in.
We have raised many concerns before in front of the planning board,alderman,and former mayor.
All we got was lip service and the mess we have now down here we have had enough.
As For BlowingSmoke Lets Blow It Elsewhere!

Gail Infurna was a disaster (do nothing) Alderman and is currently a fake Mayor who was not elected by voters. She is inarticulate even when reading what others have told her to say. Gail never followed up, lied, kissed up to do nothing department heads and her predecessor. Residents of Ward 5 live every day with the effects of poor planning and incompetent politicians. Gaffey and the planning department should be embarrassed. The new Ward 5 Alderman certainly did his homework and challenged his colleagues on the BOA to respond in kind.

So why does MCCG shut off ALL responses to anything about the override but allows bantering back and forth about the POT shop! Also saw on TV the resident who is on special needs committee state she does not want low income housing in Melrose because of more Social disorders and overcrowding Did I hear that correct? Why is it ok to sell a million dollar home in Melrose to people who have kids, but not welcome low income families She said she is strongly for the override. Baffled 🤷🏻‍♀️

Is the pot shop going to be near Oak Grove? Or?

If it's any analogy, I don't see too much going on near the smoke shops in Malden and I have seen loads of drug activity in other areas of Malden.

I don't think a pot shop has to be a big deal. The liquor laws could be updated too.

Someone advocating against low income housing like that is an a**hole. The way housing prices and rents are right now, people need something affordable. There should be a movement to expand the definition of the income needed to qualify.

I've been in the place on 99 twice. Once on a Saturday there were two other people there, and the other time, a Wednesday, I was the only one there. Granted that's a small sample size, and doesn't account for any increase for recreational traffic.

I honestly think the Washington Street location is the best place for a second retailer, but I also understand the hesitation of residents there. I personally have no issue with going to Rt 99, which beats going to Salem, Cambridge, or Somerville, all of which are a pain in the neck to get to. It's not that big of an inconvenience, and if it makes the residents feel better, even if I think they're overreacting, that's fine with me. Personally, I think we have a whole lot of more important things to worry about, but I don't want to see the anxiety levels of my fellow residents increase, even if I think it's unfounded.

You can’t just keep shoving anything you don’t like, but is LEGAL, onto the tiny portion of Melrose that’s on Rte 99. That’s absurd!

Thank you, Geezer!

You misunderstood. I wasn't advocating for placing the second one on Rt 99. That would be dumb. If there is a second one, the best place would be Washington Street. I was simply saying I have no issue with going to the existing one, and that I understood the resident's concerns. In fact, you don't even have to go Rt 99 now - they deliver.

Nor was I commenting on your point of view, but on the NIMBY attitude that has been so prevalent in Melrose for so many years.

Ah. Got it. I don't disagree with that.

Not A Big Deal
Ah. Got it. I don't disagree with that.
Put it on Main Street next to city hall.
Then you can take the bus from oakgrove.

5-1
Not A Big Deal
Ah. Got it. I don\'t disagree with that.
Also, all the downtown pizza shops, coffee shops and restaurants will do a whopping business! Support the downtown!!! Woohoo!!!

Munchies
5-1
Not A Big Deal
Ah. Got it. I don\\\'t disagree with that.
Also, all the downtown pizza shops, coffee shops and restaurants will do a whopping business! Support the downtown!!! Woohoo!!!
And just think when it comes time to sell Girl Scout cookies /Boyscout popcorn they can prosper too.
I say the business would approve.
Just think Down town would finally prosper to.💰

Thank you to the residents of ward 5 and our alderman for a victory in speaking up.
The planning board is now looking at downtown melrose it’s a win win for All.

Put it downtown , We dont have a problem with CVS, Walgreens and RiteAid being in our neighborhoods and thats where the epidemic of overdose deaths and family destruction originated thanks to prescription drug abuse.