Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Salary Comparisons

Hoping that the Melrose Taxpayers Alliance will do a comparison chart of starting salaries for Melrose Firefighters and Melrose Police Officers compared to surrounding Cities and towns. What are the step raises for Public Safety employees in Melrose? How does Melrose pay fire and police compared to other communities? I am so tired of hearing about the schools! “One Melrose” NEVER talks about anything else. Teachers deserve more money but so do other Melrose employees. If this Override were equitable to include more than school needs, I might consider it. If the Override passes, there will NEVER be support for any other taxes for Police, Fire, DPW etc.

Re: Salary Comparisons

Not sure about Fire, but PD has only 5 steps. If I remember correctly, it takes 3 1/2 years to get to step 5. Pretty simple compared to the convoluted mess that is the teacher step chart.

Re: Salary Comparisons

Specific facts and figures need to be released. How much does a 1st year police or fire employee in Melrose earn compared to a 1st year MPS teacher?
How do Melrose Police salaries compare to Police Departments in the area? How do Melrose Fire salaries compare to Fire Departments in the area?
Someone told me that young fire and police hires are way below their counterparts in similar cities. I would like to know if that is true or false. In time, Melrose may have trouble retaining police and fire who will move to other cities which pay better, provide facilities and equipment which do not cause additional stress or threats to their health because they are outdated and in deplorable condition. Melrose Police and Fire personnel are pitied statewide by other departments. Melrose morale is widely known since it is at an all time low. Dolan’s demise and Illegitimate’s rise are often discussed outside Our City.. Melrose is well known for political coverups, questionable money tactics and intimidating anyone who dares to question.