Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Senior Work Off

The Interim Mayor stated that senior work off program had no limitations on income. I believe my Uncle was told he made too much money to qualify. Can someone verify this. So in reading this anyone over 60 in Melrose can receive 1,000 off taxes because they “work off” the bill. Hmmm has this changed? I am just curious. Thank you !

Re: Senior Work Off

Gail is both Illegitimate and Inarticulate. She could have made a mistake. Gail was known deliberately to say the wrong thing (lie) when she “represented” Ward 5.

https://www.cityofmelrose.org/assessor/pages/real-estate-tax-exemptions

This is consistent with what the mayor shared- no age limit. It provides a number to call for more information.

My parents have lived in Melrose for 45+ years & they do not qualify for any deductions/breaks because they make too much money....

The Illegitimate One and her posse have been touring Senior Housing. The Cochrane House isn’t buying. They didn’t believe the pitch that “since they aren’t homeowners, they will not be hurt by tax increases”. She was asked if Police City pensions included total income earned with detail pay. She couldn’t answer this question and stumbled on most others. Residents were left wondering how she ever became Mayor. Straw vote afterwards. No votes won in a landslide!

Senior Tour
She was asked if Police City pensions included total income earned with detail pay. She couldn’t answer this question and stumbled on most others. Residents were left wondering how she ever became Mayor. Straw vote afterwards. No votes won in a landslide!

Unbelievable. The answer of course is that neither details or overtime is included in police pension calculations.

If they worked as hard at governing as they do trying to come up with more ways to reach in our pockets we'd be a lot better off.

The front page of the Saturday, March 2nd edition of The Boston Globe tells the story of an 80 year old Medford man who is facing eviction. The BOA, GI and the One Melrose people need to read this article. The attempts to scare people (dirty politics) into voting for the Override has been sad and divisive. There are many, many people who CANNOT AFFORD more taxes now including senior citizens who are being devalued and used for political purposes. Shameful !

A patch article 2015 states that Mayor Dolan said you need to meet income criteria to qualify for work off program. There are a lot of residents who are 60 So all of us could receive 1000.00 off our taxes with no limitations if we work a bit for the city 🤔 Why is it now different. Mistake or changes made. Google this and you will find Patch article on work off program

GI needs to clarify on her blog and notify the Free Press, Weekly News and Melrose Patch. The age/income qualifications have changed or it was a “deliberate mistake” to get more folks 60 and older to Vote Yes. I don’t trust a word of what comes out of her mouth. Clarification needed!

Clarification

GI needs to clarify on her blog and notify the Free Press, Weekly News and Melrose Patch. The age/income qualifications have changed or it was a “deliberate mistake” to get more folks 60 and older to Vote Yes. I don’t trust a word of what comes out of her mouth. Clarification needed!
October 21st 2015 Patch article. Google it So when did no income criteria change ? Who can answer this. So city is saying that anyone of age 60 or over can work off 1000.00 in tax money. If this is taken advantage of that is a lot of lost revenue So if I make 200K a year I can still work a few hours and get 1000.00 off. Nice!

Patch article
Clarification

October 21st 2015 Patch article. Google it So when did no income criteria change ? Who can answer this. So city is saying that anyone of age 60 or over can work off 1000.00 in tax money. If this is taken advantage of that is a lot of lost revenue So if I make 200K a year I can still work a few hours and get 1000.00 off. Nice!

The confusing information put out by Melrose officials needs to be clarified. City fiscal management is at the center of the request for more taxes. Reading this thread confirmed my opinion of the Mayor and her minions. Voting No on the Override.

If you spent half as much energy doing a tiny bit of research as you do complaining on a message board, you’d find the answer. There is no income limit for the work off program. There are income limits for other exemptions. Did you really think that there was no way the Patch got it wrong? The PATCH?? Nope just automatically assume someone is trying to pull one over on you. Sad way to live. https://www.cityofmelrose.org/assessor/pages/real-estate-tax-exemptions

Look it up
If you spent half as much energy doing a tiny bit of research as you do complaining on a message board, you’d find the answer. There is no income limit for the work off program. There are income limits for other exemptions. Did you really think that there was no way the Patch got it wrong? The PATCH?? Nope just automatically assume someone is trying to pull one over on you. Sad way to live. https://www.cityofmelrose.org/assessor/pages/real-estate-tax-exemptions
It was a quote from Mayor Rob Dolan !!! I will call city on Monday and apply for this

It’s not a quote - https://patch.com/massachusetts/melrose/melrose-reminds-residents-available-discounts-tax-relief-measures-0

No.
It’s not a quote - https://patch.com/massachusetts/melrose/melrose-reminds-residents-available-discounts-tax-relief-measures-0
“Melrose property owners who are 60 or disabled and who meet annual income limitations may qualify for program “. I guess they must have changed regulations on income. Just confused to read different rules. I would volunteer a few hours to save $1000.00 a year. Why not! How many hours do you have to commit to? I will check with Mayors office. Thank you

Melrose has a tax deferral program for seniors. If you cannot pay the taxes on your house, the city will allow you to let them go unpaid and you can defer payment until a later date or when you sell your home (or die should that be the case). You can't just stop paying. You need to enter into an agreement, and the City will charge you INTEREST.

The Truthsayer
Melrose has a tax deferral program for seniors. If you cannot pay the taxes on your house, the city will allow you to let them go unpaid and you can defer payment until a later date or when you sell your home (or die should that be the case). You can't just stop paying. You need to enter into an agreement, and the City will charge you INTEREST.

This is exactly the subject of the front page article in today’s Globe. 80 year old Medford man. It could happen in Melrose, too.

If you are over 60 call the council on aging and see what the policy really is.
If it were straight forward, it would say on the site. Only this exception and the extreme hardship exception do not have specifics.
Stay away from deferred taxes. Bad move financially and its it's irresponsible of people to suggest it.

It's ironic that in the rush to gain more tax money, the city may lose $1000 per 60+ year old in the work off program. Says no deadline to apply. I previously misunderstood the program or I listened to mayor Dolan last time when he said Income Limitations.

Every 60 year old who has the time and inclination should call the Council on Aging about doing this. If there is no income limit, this can help a lot of people.

If the there is an income threshold or if there are a limited number of opportunities to volunteer availible, word needs to get out publicly because currently this is being used as a reason to vote yes. If the rules have changed, good for the city. If not, citizens need to know that misinformation is being given out to win votes.

Any person with any common sense or who isn’t choosing to be ignorant would naturally get that there would be a limited number of jobs to do and therefore the number of participants in the work off can’t be infinite. Grow up.

Oh Pmease
Any person with any common sense or who isn’t choosing to be ignorant would naturally get that there would be a limited number of jobs to do and therefore the number of participants in the work off can’t be infinite. Grow up.
We called last year about this and we were TOLD we did not meet income criteria! Someone needs to straighten this out and let the public know. Nothing was said about limited jobs available. So confused

If I were a betting man, I would say that there is some kind of lower income needed to qualify for the 60+ work off program. Most likely in the range of the trash fee abatement program.

If there are limited jobs available that is scary because the jobs then go to friends of friends at city hall. It's possible the volunteers would be placed through The Bridge so maybe there are many opportunities. The city website is deliberately vague and it seems like misinformation is being spread to make the override look better.

At minimum wage, it's only about 83 hours to reach the $1000 credit so it's worth investigating if you are 60+.

Betting Man
If I were a betting man, I would say that there is some kind of lower income needed to qualify for the 60+ work off program. Most likely in the range of the trash fee abatement program.

If there are limited jobs available that is scary because the jobs then go to friends of friends at city hall. It's possible the volunteers would be placed through The Bridge so maybe there are many opportunities. The city website is deliberately vague and it seems like misinformation is being spread to make the override look better.

At minimum wage, it's only about 83 hours to reach the $1000 credit so it's worth investigating if you are 60+.
Good thing you’re not a betting man, because you’d lose. There is no income requirement for the $1,000 work off.

Also, why would you just state that “the jobs go to friends of friends at City Hall?” You clearly know nothing about this program, yet keep pushing the tin foil “CITY HALL IS CORRUPT” crap that is par-for-the-course on Melrose Messages. It is illegal to unfairly enrich family and friends with City benefits...it is a real stretch to assume that for $1000 “work off” job that ANY City official would risk legal action.

However, you will jump to “but City Hall IS corrupt....look at the cemetery...Dolan...Illegitimate Gail...where is my FORENSIC AUDIT...free cash!!!!!!!!”

Get a different slant. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

The Truthsayer
THE TRUTHSAYER is a real piece of work. Never forget this doozy:

WAKE UP GUYS
Wake up guys. If you oppose it and an override passes, who will pay for it ? Mostly wage earners whom are mostly male. They will be the ones to pick up the tab. If you believe it's worthwhile and can afford to pay for it for years to come out of your income, vote Yes.

I'm going to call the Council on Aging to find out the truth. People have posted on here that they were told they made too much money to qualify for the work off program. Mayor Dolan must have been wrong. And these people must be wrong.

If there is no income limit, then sign me up.

Thanks for the laugh. City hall enriches family and friends for paid positions so it's not a stretch to think they would continue this for the work off.

Truthsayer is correct. You are charged interest if you defer the taxes. It's on the city website.

Nope and Nope.
Betting Man

If there are limited jobs available that is scary because the jobs then go to friends of friends at city hall. It\'s possible the volunteers would be placed through The Bridge so maybe there are many opportunities. The city website is deliberately vague and it seems like misinformation is being spread to make the override look better.

At minimum wage, it\'s only about 83 hours to reach the $1000 credit so it\'s worth investigating if you are 60+.
Good thing you’re not a betting man, because you’d lose. There is no income requirement for the $1,000 work off.

Also, why would you just state that “the jobs go to friends of friends at City Hall?” You clearly know nothing about this program, yet keep pushing the tin foil “CITY HALL IS CORRUPT” crap that is par-for-the-course on Melrose Messages. It is illegal to unfairly enrich family and friends with City benefits...it is a real stretch to assume that for $1000 “work off” job that ANY City official would risk legal action.

However, you will jump to “but City Hall IS corrupt....look at the cemetery...Dolan...Illegitimate Gail...where is my FORENSIC AUDIT...free cash!!!!!!!!”

Looks like the poster questioning the number of jobs available was correct. A post on Facebook recently revealed that the is a 30 - 40 person waiting list for the senior 60+ work off program.

This shows great demand for the work off program, not many opportunities and that you are unlikely to be able to participate in the program. This was presented during the override as a real option to lower your tax bill but getting in line behind number 40 means a very long wait.

Although the program exists, it's not helpful if you are unable to participate. This was one of the programs that the mayor & one Melrose brought up when questioned about it the financial supports available to lower income families.

The chickens come home
Nope and Nope.
Betting Man

If there are limited jobs available that is scary because the jobs then go to friends of friends at city hall. It\\'s possible the volunteers would be placed through The Bridge so maybe there are many opportunities. The city website is deliberately vague and it seems like misinformation is being spread to make the override look better.

At minimum wage, it\\'s only about 83 hours to reach the $1000 credit so it\\'s worth investigating if you are 60+.

Looks like the poster questioning the number of jobs available was correct. A post on Facebook recently revealed that the is a 30 - 40 person waiting list for the senior 60+ work off program.

This shows great demand for the work off program, not many opportunities and that you are unlikely to be able to participate in the program. This was presented during the override as a real option to lower your tax bill but getting in line behind number 40 means a very long wait.

Although the program exists, it's not helpful if you are unable to participate. This was one of the programs that the mayor & one Melrose brought up when questioned about it the financial supports available to lower income families.
One Melrose and City Hall misrepresenting these option? Can't be! (sarcasm)