Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is Melrose in debt? Can't pay its bills?

I keep hearing about severe "cuts to city services" but I don't understand this. Why would services need to be cut if there is no override? How are these services paid for now?
Is Melrose in debt? I thought the bond rating was good?

There was that study done a few years ago about the increase in kindergarteners so that is not unexpected. The pods were bought because of this.

If the city budget needs a review, there probably are items that could be cut or reduced. Sunday hours at the library and the planters downtown could go or be privately funded. The Sunday hours at the Winchester library were privately funded for years. When looking to free up cash, you slash the nice to haves and if someone wants to pay privately they can.

I read much about home values being driven down without the override and this confuses me too. Homes in this area have skyrocketed in price overall. Melrose, yes, but also Malden, Wakefield, Stoneham, Everett, Saugus, Revere, everywhere. If you want a baseline, see how much it is to buy in Chelsea right now. These are larger market forces at work.

No one says this but high market values work against you for college financial aid. And capital gains tax if you sell.

The proposed override was 2.4 million in 2015 and now it's over 5 million? That is a 100% increase. We all complain about prices going up but everyone can admit that they have not doubled since 2015.

Upon examination, this override does not seem essential. It may pay for some pet projects but it is far from necessary.

Re: Is Melrose in debt? Can't pay its bills?

Serious Question
I keep hearing about severe "cuts to city services" but I don't understand this. Why would services need to be cut if there is no override? How are these services paid for now?
Is Melrose in debt? I thought the bond rating was good?

There was that study done a few years ago about the increase in kindergarteners so that is not unexpected. The pods were bought because of this.

If the city budget needs a review, there probably are items that could be cut or reduced. Sunday hours at the library and the planters downtown could go or be privately funded. The Sunday hours at the Winchester library were privately funded for years. When looking to free up cash, you slash the nice to haves and if someone wants to pay privately they can.

I read much about home values being driven down without the override and this confuses me too. Homes in this area have skyrocketed in price overall. Melrose, yes, but also Malden, Wakefield, Stoneham, Everett, Saugus, Revere, everywhere. If you want a baseline, see how much it is to buy in Chelsea right now. These are larger market forces at work.

No one says this but high market values work against you for college financial aid. And capital gains tax if you sell.

The proposed override was 2.4 million in 2015 and now it's over 5 million? That is a 100% increase. We all complain about prices going up but everyone can admit that they have not doubled since 2015.

Upon examination, this override does not seem essential. It may pay for some pet projects but it is far from necessary.
Totally agree!

Actually, you are incorrect on one thing, the value of your home is not factored in determining federal financial aid. Less than 200 of the 5000+ schools in US may look at home equity, but not all do. Please stop with the scare tactics.

Wrong on Financial Aid
Actually, you are incorrect on one thing, the value of your home is not factored in determining federal financial aid. Less than 200 of the 5000+ schools in US may look at home equity, but not all do. Please stop with the scare tactics.
I keep hearing about severe "cuts to city services" but I don't understand this. Why would services need to be cut if there is no override?

Wrong on Financial Aid
While the FAFSA does not factor home values in the equation, the CSS does! The CSS is a required form for nearly 400 not 200 schools most of which are private schools. BU, BC, Clark, Wheaton (MA), RPI, Sacret Heart, Stonehill and 392+ other schools all require the CSS and home equity absolutely impacts college funding negatively. Home equity on the CSS is considered cash in the bank, which we all know home equity is not.

Not at all a scare tactic, factual while yours is at best a half truth.