Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DPW has the biggest cuts

If the override fails, here are the published expected budget cuts for the DPW (other cuts include Council on Aging, Mental Health Services, Inspection Services, Public Library, Police Department, Memorial Hall):

DPW Cuts: $303,500

Proposed Eliminations:
* Staff Position: Park and Forestry Division
* Staff Position: Recycling Coordinator
* Staff Position: Facilities Division
* Cancel Saturday hours at the city yard
* Cancel contractual street sweeping
* Cancel school outreach program
* Eliminate Main Street hanging flower baskets and other beautification programs

Proposed Reductions:
* Cut highway/road repairs by 50% -- essential repairs only
* Cut Sidewalk repairs budget by 50% -- essential repairs only
* Limit overtime budget to essential staffing needs only (e.g. only snow removal)
* Cut mowing/maintenance of fields by 40% (Specifically, reduce mowing by 50% and eliminate upkeep of baseball and softball fields)
* Suspend playground repairs and equipment replacement
* Reduce landscape supply budget by 30%
* Suspend specialized engineering projects.

I'd like you to vote yes.
But even more important, please educate yourself on the topic before voting.

Re: DPW has the biggest cuts

Very few of these "proposed" actions have any impact on my daily life. Not enough to vote against my direct financial interests. Still 2 NO votes from our household.

VOTE NO
Very few of these "proposed" actions have any impact on my daily life. Not enough to vote against my direct financial interests. Still 2 NO votes from our household.
So get out and make your vote matter. April 2 2019 .

Guaranteed that I will, as I have always done.

Cut the mayor and superintendent instead. The savings will more than cover ALL the shameful cuts Infurna threatens to DPW.

Shameful
Cut the mayor and superintendent instead. The savings will more than cover ALL the shameful cuts Infurna threatens to DPW.
The mayor's salary plus Taymores salary equals the cuts to DPW. Think about that before you VOTE.

These are proposed cuts, which were specifically designed to show a much greater negative impact. Proposed isn't set in stone, since budget negotiations haven't even begun.

School spending is mandatory (Melrose is currently at barely 4% over this minimum). Everything else is discretionary. The mayor and alderman have proposed these cuts. They will happen with a no vote, as there is no more to cut from the budget.

Convenient Cuts
Shameful
The mayor's salary plus Taymores salary equals the cuts to DPW. Think about that before you VOTE.
Thought about it. Are you really suggesting that two people working full time for this community not take a salary? Neither of their salaries is high compared to other towns in the region (one could actually argue that both are underpaid compared to many of their counterparts).

Facts
School spending is mandatory (Melrose is currently at barely 4% over this minimum). Everything else is discretionary. The mayor and alderman have proposed these cuts. They will happen with a no vote, as there is no more to cut from the budget.
Whether or not the "proposed" cuts are put into place is yet to be seen.

Individual 1
Convenient Cuts
Shameful
The mayor\'s salary plus Taymores salary equals the cuts to DPW. Think about that before you VOTE.
Thought about it. Are you really suggesting that two people working full time for this community not take a salary? Neither of their salaries is high compared to other towns in the region (one could actually argue that both are underpaid compared to many of their counterparts).

You are taking this too literally. Of course they would continue to take their salaries. The implication is that there are other places to cut & the cuts put forth are selected to get a reaction from those who don't care excessively about the schools.

The cuts are based on the city survey and the library survey. The services that people said they cherished as the ones on the chopping block to get a reaction. It's manipulative but that's how one Melrose rolls.

Proposed Eliminations:
* Staff Position: Park and Forestry Division

I'm here less than 10 years, so, where's the forest in Melrose? I must have missed it....

* Staff Position: Recycling Coordinator

A "Recycling Coordinator"?? What the heck does this position do?? Separate the cardboard from the plastic?? Ridiculous.

* Staff Position: Facilities Division

* Cancel Saturday hours at the city yard

Is this Saturday schedule staffed on overtime? How about making this a Tuesday - Saturday position to reduce costs.

* Cancel contractual street sweeping

* Cancel school outreach program

* Eliminate Main Street hanging flower baskets and other beautification programs

How about doing what other cities do and have them sponsored by local businesses?

Proposed Reductions:
* Cut highway/road repairs by 50% -- essential repairs only

What a FREAKING joke! The blacktop on my street is literally alligatored from end to end and its been that way for 8 years! Potholes are filled haphazardly and disintegrate in a few weeks.

* Cut Sidewalk repairs budget by 50% -- essential repairs only
* Limit overtime budget to essential staffing needs only (e.g. only snow removal)

But we'll still have the DPW able to plow/salt private driveways, right?

* Cut mowing/maintenance of fields by 40% (Specifically, reduce mowing by 50% and eliminate upkeep of baseball and softball fields)

Right, like the mowing and upkeep of the baseball field will cease, be real.

* Suspend playground repairs and equipment replacement

* Reduce landscape supply budget by 30%

Again, have the option of having the citizens or businesses sponsor landscape supplies. I'll buy a nice hedge or some flowers.

* Suspend specialized engineering projects.
What's on the docket for this heading?