Melrose Cares: Open Community Dialogue

Click here to report offensive or inappropriate posts.

Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Polling location Observers

Anyone else notice the "Observers" at their polling location. Usually in close proximity to the check out area....I did. In my case the person had a clipboard, and when I gave my name and address, this person wrote something on there pad. I also know this person was all in for One Melrose....while I am certain this person could not see my ballot, it does seem odd for a local election

Re: Polling location Observers

I noticed them also. There’s a brief discussion about them near the end one the “One Melrose” string on here.

They are allowed to be their as observers only. They track who has showed up so they know who hasn't been there from there own list of supporters. This way they can call the individuals who haven't showed up to tell them to get their butts down and vote.

I assumed that's what they are/were. Not a single voter stopped by to say a word to them on the ingress and egress while I was there.....

Annoyed
They are allowed to be their as observers only. They track who has showed up so they know who hasn't been there from there own list of supporters. This way they can call the individuals who haven't showed up to tell them to get their butts down and vote.
Interesting they can track and harass people during actual polling times. Even if they are only calling supporters. Learned something new today....

Even though it's legal, it feels invasive. If the no group did this, the yes people would twist it into something bad. Since they are doing it, the MCG is defending it and the rest of one Melrose is making excuses. It is yet another tactic off theirs that I dislike.

Their tactics and strategies have shown me without a doubt what kind of people they are. And it's not the face they show publicly.

Uggh. More nonsense.
Even though it's legal, it feels invasive. If the no group did this, the yes people would twist it into something bad. Since they are doing it, the MCG is defending it and the rest of one Melrose is making excuses. It is yet another tactic off theirs that I dislike.

Their tactics and strategies have shown me without a doubt what kind of people they are. And it's not the face they show publicly.
Someone said that the mta had observers there as well. They were perfectly welcome to. If they'd chosen to do the same thing, I doubt anyone would have batted an eye.

The observers aren't allowed to give any indication of who they are or what they support.

When I voted I was greeted by the same genial poll workers I see every election. I did notice a lot of other people whom I thought were additional poll workers. What made them stand out was they looked cold and humorless. These are they people that will advocate that our money is spent properly on our children? Without knowing who they were, they gave me an unsettling feeling. Although I have lived here for many years I did not recognize any of them. This "grass roots" organization certainly seems to have a lot of resources and expertise.

Howard Jarvis
When I voted I was greeted by the same genial poll workers I see every election. I did notice a lot of other people whom I thought were additional poll workers. What made them stand out was they looked cold and humorless. These are they people that will advocate that our money is spent properly on our children? Without knowing who they were, they gave me an unsettling feeling. Although I have lived here for many years I did not recognize any of them. This "grass roots" organization certainly seems to have a lot of resources and expertise.
They're kind of supposed to be cold and humorless. They're not allowed to interact with anyone except the warden in any way.

Howard Jarvis
It isn't a grassroots effort, in my opinion. They are firmly inline with the democrats/progressives who think that soaking the taxpayers is OK if it benefits their agenda and THEIR community. Everyone else is evil and hates children. But then again, Melrose has defeated every override attempt, with the exception of 1992. In the end everyone has a vote, and should exercise that right every time it is needed.

The MTA did not and have not had any observers at voting locations.

Voted Yes
And happily told the observers to chalk one up for the good guys
You mean you voted "No"? I assume you voted no, because you classified yourself as a 'goog guy'... :-)

And THERE it is! It’s not just people with differing opinions on an issue, it’s become ‘the good guys and the bad guys’. Sad!

Maybe they should have. I mean how else can you tell who has voted from your known supportive voters and then direct GOTV activities later? It is literally common sense for campaigns.