Alderman & City Politics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
On Being Woke

Now that we are past the override, it’s time to look at the future changes that are coming. A big one is the leadership and the changes the election will bring. It’s no secret that Zwirko is looking to be mayor. This has concerned me for a while. I am not friends with him myself but we have a bunch of mutual acquaintances and he has always rubbed me the wrong way. He has all the traits of a politician that make people hate them. He says what he thinks people want to hear and does what he thinks will get him support. But none of it is ever genuine. It is all in the goal of gaining favor.

But what can you do, right? Until I saw this article - https://www.afampointofview.com/well-its-complicated-because/. I had to say something. He actually wrote this. A white man in a position of power published an article in an African American magazine talking about how woke he now is after a ten day trip with fellow politicians. He describes his awakening like he’s now an even better person than he was before. He never talks about the actual struggles that he describes learning about. Or how the people and their lives made a difference to him. Nothing about lessons he learned. He spends the entire article talking about himself. He acknowledges his privilege with his words but not his actions and definitely not in his mind. That is dangerous. This guy can’t see past the end of his own nose and that is not a leader.

Re: On Being Woke

I'm sorry, but this is all you're going to get until the charter is changed to make it possible for a legitimate leader to run without sacrificing his entire career.

Basically all politicians are narcissistic ego maniacs, its a job requirement. Its non partisan. I do not know Zwirko, but I have listened to his comments in meeting of the board of Alderman, read his comments during the override campaign, and during the selection of the interim mayor. Nothing has given me any reason to refute your post. So far, only one person has declared their candidacy for Mayor in the next election. I wholly believe he will as well.

Who?
Sorry
I\'m sorry, but this is all you\'re going to get until the charter is changed to make it possible for a legitimate leader to run without sacrificing his entire career.
Who are you imagining when you are saying this? This is the least sensible thing that this site is OBSESSED with. Being a mayor is a full time job. It pays more than 125k per year. Who is that not enough for? I am positive that I wouldn't want a mayor who was so self-involved that they couldn't be asked to put in full-time work into a well-paying job.
Right, except that when you are not re-elected, you have already given up your career or your business, as is required by the charter in order to be Mayor. What sensible qualified person does that?

Just what we need, someone just like Dolan running the city. I am completely convinced Zwirko moves here so he could eventually be a true politician. He wanted t love some place that was run by a Mayor but Malden and Everett weren’t good enough for him. I guess inclusivity really isn’t what he wants. He turned me off when he bragged on social media how instrumental he was in getting plastic bags banned from the city.

MZ is a nerd who tries hard to be cool. Woke haha. In any case I don’t think he’ll want to run against his butt buddy PB who just announced his candidacy.

Nerd
MZ is a nerd who tries hard to be cool. Woke haha. In any case I don’t think he’ll want to run against his butt buddy PB who just announced his candidacy.
Funny that PB announced his run for mayor less than 24 hours after the override vote

The problems with MZ run way deeper than his political leanings. I’m what you would describe as a liberal snowflake and I wouldn’t trust this guy as far as I could throw him. He’s a total weasel.

james p
see who says both sides cant agree.....thank you from your friend who leans middle to right a little.
I think he's a weasel too. I am left of center in most issues but was a strong NO for the override.

Lol! Nerds rule the world, inbred 1980's type corporate type vulgarity. The world has moved on. Your football and chest thumping masculinity is scorned and laughed at — pathetic nobody. History is against you and your kind.

What do you do for a living? Back office, clerical corporate job? LOL!

As was said to you in another string, grow up.